August 2014 Moms

Moms of boys: Penises and Circumsision

I'm feeling extremely unprepared!

What do I need to know about caring for his circumsision and what are the insane things that I need to know about a baby penis????

Funny stories are appreciated!!!

Not a debate. It's already done.
I completely forgot to prepare and read up on what to do if I had a boy.
I was Team Green with my head in the sand I guess.
Married April 12
DD June 13
#2 EDD 8/8/14 - DS July 14
2 Furry Kids - 
Rosco: The most awesome pug ever.
Pumpkin: The most non-catlike cat ever.  

Re: Moms of boys: Penises and Circumsision

• RacllaRaclla member
    kfdecarie said:

Keep it lubed up, clean, and always point that sucker down!

Pointing down seems really hard at this point in the game.
    I've been making DH change the diapers so far.

He was convinced we were having another girl, so I didn't even think to read up on this stuff.
    Married April 12
    DD June 13
    2 Furry Kids - 
  • Loading the player...
  • Did they give you any literature at the hospital for care of it?  I was hoping for something like that cause I haven't read up on it either. 

photo 63d081b2-beb9-4486-ae4e-de648860b72c_zpsa8e37ee8.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Use some sort of vasaline (sp) to keep the tip lubed up(to avoid it sticking to the diaper). Point the penis down during diaper changes (or you see pee everywhere) keep the tip clean. Once you get the hang of it, it's no big deal.
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • RacllaRaclla member
    There wasn't any literature.
    He just came back from the procedure and the nurse opened the diaper and showed us and went over general care.
    There's tubes of Vaseline they gave us.
    I need to ask if it's something special or if the regular Vaseline I have at home will work too.
    Married April 12
    DD June 13
    2 Furry Kids - 
  • There's no such thing as too much vaseline!  Seriously just put on tons of it, it really does help!

• The Vaseline should be just regular Vaseline nothing special. Just treat it like any other healing wound or how you would treat the cord stump.
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • cdsenocdseno member
    You make a little tent out of a 4x4 piece of gauze and A&D ointment and place it over the tip. Make sure to use enough ointment so it doesn't stick to the skin. Change it each time you change the diaper until it is healed. If you have questions ask his doctor. I don't remember how long it took to heal and not look angry.

Be sure it is always pointed down, it may seem hard to do, but try. Otherwise he will pee out of the top of his diaper every time and you will go through a ton of clothes and he will always be covered in pee.

Don't be surprised by baby boners. They will happen eventually, and sooner than you think. Just point it back down in the diaper. You will feel like a creepy perv but it has to be done.

When he gets older he will play with it all the time! Mine is 2.5 and obsessed with it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • cdsenocdseno member
    I just got lucky that my sister had a boy before me so I got schooled on all things penis related with him.
  • Lots of vaseline, there is no such thing as too much.  And ask your son's pediatrician about how to avoid adhesions (pulled back part growing back attached to the penis) - DS' pediatrician said they rarely happen, but it was good to know what I was trying to avoid.
  • Thanks for posting this!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Dog tickers Teacher 2007 * Wife 2011 * Proud A14 Momma * Seattle, WA
  • Quick question since we are also planning on circumcising, do u just ask for it to be done when u arrive for delivery, once he's born, include in birth plan?

I've heard of ppl having to schedule and go back to get it done, I would hate to do this, just want to get it done and over with... I'll have to call my practice tomorrow
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• SkouzSkouz member
    I was too scared to keep putting Vaseline ON it, and heard about DH's coworker's son that it would stick (OWIE!) all the time. We would make a big giant circle on the diaper and fill it in, so it couldn't stick anywhere! Healed up super fast and it never bothered him.

It was just my sister and I growing up, and I'm the youngest- hell, my first diaper change was my son in the hospital in the middle of the night. I was so happy no one was awake and no nurses to feel judged. I was so proud! The first time I changed him and he got a boner I panicked. I called DH because I didn't know that happened! He was at work and told all the guys on the job site he was proud of his boy ;). But yes, always tuck that thing down before securing the diaper. We hardly had any accidents and I think it's from tucking it.
  • SkouzSkouz member
    Let them know every chance
    You get! Call your insurance and see how they handle it. Our insurance covered all but $40 if we did it while still in the hospital, otherwise we were 100% liable after we checked out. The hospital made us watch several videos about non circumsizing and tried numerous times to get us to decide against it. We kept on it and they basically did it at the very last minute and sent us home.
  • +RBL++RBL+ member
    cdseno said:

You make a little tent out of a 4x4 piece of gauze and A&D ointment and place it over the tip. Make sure to use enough ointment so it doesn't stick to the skin. Change it each time you change the diaper until it is healed. If you have questions ask his doctor. I don't remember how long it took to heal and not look angry.

Be sure it is always pointed down, it may seem hard to do, but try. Otherwise he will pee out of the top of his diaper every time and you will go through a ton of clothes and he will always be covered in pee.

Don't be surprised by baby boners. They will happen eventually, and sooner than you think. Just point it back down in the diaper. You will feel like a creepy perv but it has to be done.

When he gets older he will play with it all the time! Mine is 2.5 and obsessed with it.

Yes, gauze. The hospital gave us little pieces of gauze. Fill that sucker up with A&d ointment and place the gauze on the penis. Once it looked healed a bit we squeezed A&d directly on his penis but the gauze was easier in the beginning.

Pointing you penis down is definitely a big one. It took H a while to figure this out and we went through lots of outfits.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Quick question since we are also planning on circumcising, do u just ask for it to be done when u arrive for delivery, once he's born, include in birth plan?

I've heard of ppl having to schedule and go back to get it done, I would hate to do this, just want to get it done and over with... I'll have to call my practice tomorrow
    My OB does ours, and asked about if we were planning to and put it in the chart. 

photo 63d081b2-beb9-4486-ae4e-de648860b72c_zpsa8e37ee8.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Also make sure to stretch his wrinkly balls to get all the poop out. Boys aren't much work but they do have a few nooks and crannies that can get poo caught in them.
    Everything she said!
    This! I was so afraid of hurting that tiny little scrotum, so DH has taken over and really gets in there to clean off all the poop. I trust him to know how much pressure would be too much :)

image    image
  • I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but you also have to stretch out the penis, pull the skin away from the tip, AFTER it heals up. The skin can start growing back if you don't stretch it out. You usually want to do that after the scab/blood clears up, but while it is still a bit red and healing, and then you basically do the same every diaper change until they're out of diapers.
    Mom to Frances, 6, Adam, 4, and baby Lila.
  • Thanks for the tips! I went through and added stuff to my changing table basket. I had a friend give me a tub of vasoline as part of a shower present and I didn't get what it was for. Now I get it :)
    x

• I'm on my 3rd boy!  Pointing the penis down does become a habit.  I don't even think about it anymore, it's an automatic when I change diapers. 

They should ask you at the hospital if you're circumcising, one of those routine questions. 

Be prepared for you baby to one day reach down and GRAB himself.  Like, just take his balls and yank.  Freaked me out...looked like it should hurt, but what do I know? 

son#1 born 6/2010

son#2 born 4/2012

son#3 born 7/2014

• I wanted to add, coconut oil works like vaseline but we use coconut oil for everything!!!! Just another alternative! :)

Started TTC in 2006, LOTS of trying, and trying, and 7 rounds of IVF with 13 embryos, 2 perfect little boys and 5 loses....
    All finished with babies, started to make diet changes, Keto, to be MORE for my kids, lost 30 pounds, still going, and 3 months in, I had a natural cycle, and then ovulated... Hubs and I are going to see what happens now... Maybe a natural pregnancy? After everything we have been through? Or just a return to normal hormones? We shall see what the future holds!

Baby Dust To All!!!

• shevaCC said:
    That's one thing that intimidates me about having a boy. I've never been responsible for a penis before!
    I feel the same way
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Mirena removed 11/10/11. BFP 02/20/13 - MMC discovered 4/17/13 @ 11w4d. 
    BFP 12/14/13, EDD 8/21/14.It's a BOY! DS born 8/15/14.

• No one mentioned that all that Vaseline makes the diaper completely non absorbant! 

Lots of clothing changes.  
    Married April 12
    DD June 13
    2 Furry Kids - 
  • So if this child is a boy, H is adamant on circumcision. However, H has NO idea what is all involved in it. I have been trying to inform him and let him know about the Vaseline at every diaper change and he was a little freaked out. Yeah, dude, it's not like it's just cut and everything's normal!

It's a good thing H is cute.
  • As far as care, you've already gotten tons of recommendations, so here's a funny. DS is almost 18 months old and I've been peed o on exactly once. DH on the other hand, still gets peed on at least once a week. The first day we were home with DS, dh was changing the diaper while talking to me. All of a sudden, this fountain arced up and landed on DH's shirt — and he didn't even notice! Lol
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• With my first I used gauze covered in Vaseline. This time around I'm just pittin the Vaseline on my finger and directly on the tip of the penis. You don't have to worry about spreading it around because his body heat will do that once the diaper is in place. It saves a step, and lets the diaper absorb more pee so there's less leakage.

As PP said its a fun thing for them to play with also so when they're a bit older keeping their hands occupied during a poopy diaper change is good otherwise you get poop covered hands. DS1 will pull and squish his parts and it looks painful to me, but he just giggles so I guess it's not.

Once you get the hang of it boys are fairly easy!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"