Toddlers: 24 Months+

Did anyone have an easy crib to toddler bed transition?

My twins have separate bedrooms. DD is 4-5 lbs less than DS And she can climb out of her crib. So far, I've kept her contained to the crib by putting her back in a sleep sack. I know that our time is limited though. DD has been a terrible sleeper. We did a sleep study ~ 6weeks ago and they found mild restless legs and low iron. She started daily liquid iron and started sleeping (finally) like never before! Thank God. Her sleep counselor thinks we should postpone the toddler bed transition as long as possible due to her sleep history.

Her crib easily converts to a toddler bed. We have a 2 story house and were unable to get a sturdy gate at the top of the stairs, so when we transition her, I will put a toddler door handle on her bedroom door to keep her contained to her room (I know not everyone agrees with this).

Did anyone have a good experience with this transition?

Thanks!

Wedding Fall 2007 Off OCP's since 9/08-started with BBT charts Saw Ob/gyn May 2009 Blood work normal except single copy of MTHFR Clomid 50mg May 2009 Clomid 50mg + IUI June 2009 Femara 5mg + IUI July 2009 Normal HSG July 2009 Femara 5mg + ovidrel+IUI August 2009 Femara 5mg +ovidrel + IUI September 2009 November 2009-normal lap December 2009-met with RE December/January-Injectible med cycle with IUI-Abnormal sperm morpology found-only 0-1% normal All Head defects. Jan/Feb 2010 1st IVF with ICSI-5 week chemical pregnancy :( Feb 2010-male infertility doc says DH's anatomy and blood work are normal so nothing he can do. :( FET July 2010-BFP! Twin m/c @ 5.5 wks :( Dec/Jan 2011 IVF #2 Only 4 eggs retrieved-Ganirelix dose messed up BFFN Feb/March 2011 IVF #3 ER 3/9 9 eggs, 7 fertilized, ET 3/14, No frosties. BFN IVF #4 ER 8/22 9R,7F ET 8/25-3 embies, 1 frostie! Beta 9/2= 54, 9/6=274, 9/8=625, 9/12=2953, 9/16 greater than 10,000. B/G TWINS born April 2012 @ 36wks & 1 day! July 2014-going back for the frozen embryo! ET 7/28, heartbeat seen at 6wks1day with SCH. Miscarriage confirmed at 6wks4days

Re: Did anyone have an easy crib to toddler bed transition?

• edited August 2014
    We had a super easy transition with both my kids.  At 15 months DD crawled out of her crib as DH was walking into the room and could have easily fallen on her head if DH hadn't been there so DH transitioned her crib that day.  The first day she didn't get out at all.  After that, she enjoyed her freedom for a few days (getting out of bed and exploring her room for a few minutes before going to bed), but she almost always fell asleep within a half an hour and hardly ever tried to leave her room in the beginning (she did go through a phase later on).  We transitioned DS at about 20 months.  There were no issues; we just decided to transition him since it went so well with DD and we knew we would be wanting to work on potty training in the near future.  He did even better than DD. 

Our crib transitions to a toddler bed so there were no major changes, which I think helped.  Plus, we left all the crib stuff - their aquarium stayed on the rail, the same bedding, etc.  We didn't want too many changes all at once.  Good luck!
  • We made the transition just after he turned two and it was beyond easy. We were so surprised and relieved. In fact, he used to wake in the middle of the night and cry at least four nights a week and now he hardly ever wakes up. We put a pool noodle under the fitted sheet so he doesn't roll off and it works great.

We did have a few incidents where he got up super early in the morning and tried to roam the house so we did get a door knob cover for the door. Once he figured out he couldn't open the door he stopped trying. We will will remove it when he is a little older and understands he shouldn't try to leave his room when everyone is sleeping.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We made the transition just after he turned two and it was beyond easy. We were so surprised and relieved. In fact, he used to wake in the middle of the night and cry at least four nights a week and now he hardly ever wakes up. We put a pool noodle under the fitted sheet so he doesn't roll off and it works great. We did have a few incidents where he got up super early in the morning and tried to roam the house so we did get a door knob cover for the door. Once he figured out he couldn't open the door he stopped trying. We will will remove it when he is a little older and understands he shouldn't try to leave his room when everyone is sleeping.
    How does the pool noodle work?
    I feel like he would probably mess around with it making it move & then end up bothering him. DS has fell out about twice now (more than anything, he just gets annoyed it happened) & I'm trying to not get those rail things because he'd probably destroy them. 

Just tuck it under the fitted sheet parallel with the length of the bed. If you don't make a big deal out of it, your LO probably won't even realize it is there.
  • We had a fairly easy transition to a twin bed a few weeks ago. Dd was excited about her bed and mostly stays in it. A reminder or two at night. She wanders into our room around 6am if she wakes up. Otherwise when she hears Dh's alarm clock she comes running
    BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • About 4 months ago we turned DD's crib to a toddler bed (we had a 4 in 1). There were no issues at all. We stuck to the same routine and she went to bed as usual and slept all night. One thing we did do though was remove everything from her room. We only left the bed, and a few of her stuffed animals and a couple of books.

The only issue we did have was that she was falling out of bed, but she didn't even wake up when she fell out. We bought a different toddler bed with the small rails on both sides and haven't had any issues since. She sleeps better since we transitioned her then she ever did in her crib.

We had a gate in front of her door in the beginning, but when she started figuring out how to open the door and kick out the gate, we had to put a safety cover on her door knob. Her room is right at the top of the stairs, and the way our stairs curve, we can't get a gate there, it's too dangerous for her to have access to leaving the room. She's had no issues with that either. She tries the door and when she can't open it, she goes and plays with her toys until we go in there, or she just calls us.

I really thought transitioning was going to be hard, but we've been really lucky.

Good luck! :)
  • Our transition was fine, too at around 22 mo. He did wind up out of the bed at some point and slept on the floor, which happened maybe once a month. We also do a rolled up towel under the sheet as a bumper. That went so well and he has always been a good sleeper, so we were about to switch to a twin, but he is going through some crazy sleep aversion at home now. We have resorted to putting up a baby gate in his door, so now he pulls all his pillows animals and blankets from the bed and sleeps next to the gate, on the floor. So not sure what to do about the bed!
  • We transitioned earlier this summer because he started waking at night to pee and it was easier to get him out of a bed than a crib.

Nothing changed at all.  He still calls for us in the morning and won't get out of bed until we come get him.  There was one morning he woke up and came out of his room, but pretty much stood in the doorway just looking around, and he never did it again.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We transitioned to a toddler bed at 15mo & while the first week was a bit of work getting DS to sleep (we also stopped BFing & rocking at this time), it has been excellent ever since! No more night waking & he sleeps about an hour longer now most nights.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I had a super easy transition from crib to toddler bed, and then about 2 months after getting the toddler bed we were given a twin-sized race car bed and transitioned to that right away.. fairly easily.. took about 3 days.
    Married DH 5/28/08
    DS Born 4/13/11
    DD Born 3/38/15

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • lorist202lorist202 member
    edited August 2014
    We started the transition at 18 mos. when TTC. We put the twin mattresses on the floor where the crib was, and moved the crib to a different wall in the room. We made the transition gradual and let DS be the driving force behind crib vs. bed on a daily basis. After about 10 mos, we took down the crib and assembled his twin bed. We use the pool noodle under the fitted sheet and a rail. He has never fallen out. He also has a leather ottoman to climb in. At over 3 yes old, I can finally stop using his gate. He's a kid who loves bed and loves sleep though! *Bonus- as of last week, he started nighttime potty training himself. I'm still getting used to hearing him get up, use the potty, and get back to bed himself!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD's transition was super easy. She was 25 months and had never climbed out of her crib. We switched her from the crib straight to a full bed. No rails, no gates, etc. she fell out twice the first week but she never gets out of bed alone. She calls for us to come get her.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • XathXath member
    We did.  We have the AngelCare monitor, so when we transitioned to the toddler bed, it served a new purpose in letting us know if DS1 got out of bed.  He figured out that we could tell when he got out fairly quickly and stopped doing it after a few days.  
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Our LO had started to pull herself up on the crib (but not actually over or out) and we switched her crib to "day bed" (it is one of those three way types) with the little half railing.

She rarely gets out of bed in the middle of the night. She will just lie there and cry. In the morning she hops up and comes to get us. If her door is shut to tight for her to open she instantly starts crying at the door.

Really she has been fantastic and I think for the most part it has been better than having her in the crib because she has a little independence in the morning.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"