November 2014 Moms
Options

So upset...

Today my boss asked me to do a favour for my coworker which would result in my needing to work nine and a half hours straight tomorrow without a break.

My coworker can do the task but my boss would prefer she remain in the office tomorrow so there is enough staff present.

I said, no. She said it would be helpful and when I asked if she was telling me I had to do it? And she said no, but it would be helpful. About half an hour later she asked me to come to her office where she proceeded to talk to me about my decision, which she characterized as not being "helpful" and that I was not being a "team player".

She further said that it was occasionally necessary in our field of work to have extended hours with no break. I told her I understood that (in fact I've already done so this week) and that I did it where necessary to do my own work, but wouldn't voluntarily do it where it wasn't reasonable (ie. someone else could do it)

She then told me that my choosing not to do so for others and only on my own work would affect how she thought of me and how she approached me in the future. I asked what she meant by that and she wouldn't clarify, only that again I wasn't being "helpful".

I told her I was having difficulty working those types of hours right now and while I was doing it when necessary, I felt wrecked and often could only go home and sleep. I also suggested that it violated the Labour Law and suggested we talk to Human Resources.

She then started to talk about other "issues" she had been noticing with my work. The "stress" I was exhibiting (although she acknowledged that my work had been stressful recently) and so on. We got into a verbal debate which didn't lead to any resolution. So, I left her office.

I'm so upset. Not sure if I want to talk to HR and make it an "issue". I'm starting two week vacation after tomorrow and then she will be on vacation after that. So we won't even see each other again until September. But, I also don't want this to come up again.

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: So upset...

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ugh!  REALLY?   That's not fair at all. 

As for what to do...   Do you think the few weeks away from each other will truly help?  Or do you think you should nip it in the bud and just go to HR?  I am inclined to go with the latter, but who knows, it might make this person worse. 
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - (C6hS)

• Options
    Go to HR ASAP. What a bitch!!!!!!
  • Options
    crizz13 said:

stacyslo said:

Good for you for standing up to her, I would definitely document the incident to HR just to protect yourself.

This. It doesn't take much for a boss who doesn't like you to build a case to get you out.

Definitely protect yourself so that HR knows the issue. Later on it'll be your word against hers. She sounds like a real treat.

• Options
    Wow, that is crazy! Props to you for not backing down. I think you should go to HR, that got way out of line and needs to be dealt with, her power trip needs to hit a speed bump. Good luck ;)
  • Options
    I agree with all the PPs saying you go to HR. This isn't a case of you 'whining,' this is you protecting yourself and doing what's best for your LO. you're being the ultimate team-player by defending your baby!
  • Options
    Yes!  Go to HR!  I know about being in a difficult situation at work, and in this case, you definitely need to protect yourself.  Like PP have said, nipping it in the bud now could help, especially if she later tries to come back and twist the situation around.  I hope everything works out well!!

• Options
    I would talk to HR. The fact that she asked -- and you clarified as to whether it was a request or an instruction -- indicates she's being a bully. CYA with HR - it lets her know you know your rights and won't be bullied. She asked you rather than ordering you, so clearly it was not imperative. You have every right to decline.
  • Options
    Agree with PP - go to HR!!!
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

• Options
    So sorry you are going through this! Definitely see HR and make sure that you tell them that you feel she is targeting you while you are pregnant (which is illegal!)!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers  image

• Options
    I hate these kind of passive aggressive bosses. I've noticed that people like that back down after they are called on their stuff because deep down they are timid. I agree with PP, protect yourself and keep your healthy boundaries. She will move onto someone else to pick on. Good luck.
  • Options
    I'm sorry to be weighing in on this so late, but heartily agree with others. Document, document, document and go to HR with your concern. What troubles me particularly is your boss not keeping it to the cut and dry and making somewhat personal comments about you "exhibiting stress" and so on and so forth. What does this have to do with you performing your specified job duties? Nothing. It's a way to make you feel intimidated. That sends up a red flag to me. Nip it before it gets worse.
  • Options
    Similar things are happening here with me too. Work just keeps getting less understanding. I let my boss know that I will be starting to have my dr appointments every two weeks now and she threw a fit and said you don't need to go that often. I need you here. It's getting really frustrating.

Int your case I would go to HR she shouldn't have given you a "choice" and then react negatively towards your decision when you chose opposite of what she wanted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"