1st Trimester

Summer Sausage

I am really upset my Husband and Daughter are both eating summer sausage and it smells so good I want to eat some so so bad its making me crazy I actully want to cry because I want some so bad is it ok to eat just a slice or 2?

Re: Summer Sausage

• I think it falls under Deli meat which we are not suppose to eat when pregnant due to the risk of Listeria
  • If you are really worried about it, heat it up in the microwave. Voila!
    But, summer sausage is in a plastic wrapper until you open it, right? That makes me think it is less likely to be contaminated than, say, meat you buy at the deli counter.
    BabyFruit Ticker    image

F15 December Siggy Challenge:
    Holiday Decorations Fail
  • Loading the player...
  • Are going to stop eating, fruits and veggies too? No. Eat the sausage, or give it to me I will!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• MrsMuq said:

I think it falls under Deli meat which we are not suppose to eat when pregnant due to the risk of Listeria

No. I take it you have zero clue how it is made. Awesome.

You should not have some as punishment.

@GhostMonkey‌ she can give it to me. I will put some cream cheese in it, with a triscut. Oh a trip to the store!

Then you can clean up with some Listerine and chewing gum so you don't have sausage breath!

Maybe followed by the flu shot!

• Listerine & Chewing Gum 4 EVA!!!!!!!!!!!!   
  • Thanks I was told Deli meat is a big no no unless heated by my Doctor I was not sure if Summer Sausage was the same I ate some and it was great. I will continue to not eat deli meat and wash all my fruits and veggies But I will eat Summer Sausage every now and then
  • Eat the sausage! You can heat it if you are really worried

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I don't know what it is either :(
  • TwiggymommyTwiggymommy member
    edited August 2014
    Oh for fuck sake. Eat the damn sausage...

Better yet look around the forums before posting ridiculous questions. You're not going to do any harm to the baby especially if it's cooked. Do go eating gas station sushi but as long as your food is from a reputable source eat what you want

Edit because I need to learn to proof read before hitting post
    Supermom to my beautiful boys Troy Marshall and Griffin Xander 

Living the dream with my wonderful man :)
  • That looks like that stuff hickory farms makes.

I'm sure it tastes a lot better when fresh
  • Yeah--its like what hickory farms make.  Those cheese and summer sausage packages.  yum. nom nom nom.

So delicious
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Faaack why did I open this...now allll I can think about is summer sausage with cream cheese on it. Is 40 minutes to far to drive for some sausage?
  • I think the summer sausage dilemma is because of nitrates (not listeria)

• Meh. Ill stuff myself with sausage anytime i want (tee hee)image

Piper, 4/10/10
    Connor, 3/16/15
    Morgan, EDD 9/22/16

• As if my cravings for meat weren't bad enough...

At least I have pepperoni pizza for lunch so that's good.  But I will be buying some summer sausage later on this week.  Mmmmm...

• My Doctor has won Doctor of the year for 2 years so im sure she knows what shes talking about I am sorry if my post seems stupid to some of you but I was just asking for some advice not to be made fun of or for anyone to be rude I will not be interacting on The Bump anymore if this is how you get treated when you ask for advice I have no problem with a sense of humor but most of these posts are rude Thanks to anyone who gave me reasonable advice
  • I really want some summer sausage now. Yumm.

• Why would you GBCB over some summer sausage? Yes some people were smart asses about it or took a humorous approach to answering your question but nobody was mean.

Fwiw... I could write you a list of the awards my dr has gotten from actual medical organizations (not dr of the year popularity contests) but it really doesnt matter. All DRs do things differently. In all the paperwork that i have it says nothing about not eating lunchmeat or nitrates. I have a quick little summary about what fish is safe and at what quantity and how you should limit caffeine to under 200mg a day.
    -------------------------------
    Sarah, 35 bumping from NE Ohio
    Married my love 4/22/2006
    DD born 10/12/2009
    DS born sleeping 2/23/2013 full trisomy 18
    Baby 3 due 2/13/2015
    Pregnancy Ticker}
  • Have you had peaches lately or other fruit? Geee I wonder what the last outbreak was from. Oh. I know just last week. PEACHES and the like

• I didn't know what summer sausage was either, not going to lie the dirty mind was hoping this was some kind of sex post haha now I'm disappointed...
    Married 3/5/10
    Started TTC Baby #1 6/2014
    BFP #1 7/27/2014 
    EDD 4/3/2014
    IT'S A GIRL! 10/16/14
    Team Pink!

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Joy2611 said:

Have you had peaches lately or other fruit? Geee I wonder what the last outbreak was from. Oh. I know just last week. PEACHES and the like

Hush with your logic!

Ha.

• OP, you shouldn't feel bad about your original question.  The pregnancy app I use for all my recording of data and information has summer sausage listed in red with an exclamation point. Which means not recommended for pregnancy.  They cite the reason to be listeria.  They included summer sausage with lunch meats so, you were right on track with your concern.  That being said, we have a lot of restrictions and I don't think an occasional sandwich is that dangerous.  But of course each person has a right to make their own decision (without being ridiculed for it). 

Oh... and despite my comments above, I have not eaten any deli meat since being pregnant.  Its not worth it to me during the first trimester. But that's my choice. However, you've got me really craving some summer sausage and cheese right about now! So I may have some at lunch!

• I ate an entire package of it last week. Not in one sitting, but seriously, that was good stuff.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Chcaggie1 said:

OP, you shouldn't feel bad about your original question.  The pregnancy app I use for all my recording of data and information has summer sausage listed in red with an exclamation point. Which means not recommended for pregnancy.  They cite the reason to be listeria.  They included summer sausage with lunch meats so, you were right on track with your concern.  That being said, we have a lot of restrictions and I don't think an occasional sandwich is that dangerous.  But of course each person has a right to make their own decision (without being ridiculed for it). 

Oh... and despite my comments above, I have not eaten any deli meat since being pregnant.  Its not worth it to me during the first trimester. But that's my choice. However, you've got me really craving some summer sausage and cheese right about now! So I may have some at lunch!

Have you also stopped eating lettuce, spinach, peaches, cantaloupe, other fruits and veggies, an cheese?

No?

The outbreaks this year have been from cheese and peaches.

You are more likely to get listeria from these items then lunch meat.

People this is common sense use it!

• Damasked said:

I didn't know what summer sausage was either, not going to lie the dirty mind was hoping this was some kind of sex post haha now I'm disappointed...

Same here. I was thinking, summer sausage leads to springtime babies?
    Lmao that's awesome
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"