Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Bottle weaning

My 14 month old daughter refuses to drink milk out of anything but her bottle. She has been drinking water for months out of a straw cup but won't drink milk from it because she expects water. I have tried several other straw and Sippy cups but she just throws them or pushes them away. Half the time she won't even try the cup because she knows it is not her bottle. Any suggestions?

Re: Bottle weaning

• Options
    I would say tough love unfortunately.  My little guy is almost a year and I think we have officially got him off of bottles.  He knew the difference between the bottle and sippy cup that's for sure but he slowly started to get over it and if he was thirsty he would drink out whatever I gave him.  I just made sure to get him some of those nutrients in the table food that he would have been getting in the formula to make sure we are covered.   Good luck
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I think tough love is going to be the way to do it. Any cup recommendations that your LO really likes?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I hope this is not a very stupid question but why is it that it's recommended for kids to be weaned from the bottle at one? My daughter never took a bottle (well past 8 weeks old) so I haven't had this transition to deal with, she's preferred the straw cup, but I remember the ped asking about it at the one year appointment and I've read about people weaning their kids here at one year so I am just curious what's the reason behind weaning at one. thanks.

• Options

I hope this is not a very stupid question but why is it that it's recommended for kids to be weaned from the bottle at one? My daughter never took a bottle (well past 8 weeks old) so I haven't had this transition to deal with, she's preferred the straw cup, but I remember the ped asking about it at the one year appointment and I've read about people weaning their kids here at one year so I am just curious what's the reason behind weaning at one. thanks.

Messes with their teeth. 

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Options
    Cold turkey is what worked for us. We went on vacation at 14 months and I didn't bring any bottles. I figured since we were throwing her off of her normal routine, we would just go all in. It worked and she never asked for her bottle after that.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Options
    I think you might have to go cold turkey. As long as she knows you'll offer the bottle at some point, she'll hold out for that.

We started out with sippies that had nipples similar to a bottle (soft, rubbery spouts). Graham liked Nuk or Nuby. Now he'll drink from the kids sippies with hard spouts.

This is a good "convertible" sippy that we've used: https://nuby.com/en/nuby/bottle-feeding/1113/

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"