February 2013 Moms

Flying back to US

kelly321kelly321 member
edited July 2014 in February 2013 Moms
My dad took a turn for the worse yesterday. He's doing a bit better again today, but my Mom and I decided that I should come home for a bit to see him in the hospital. They're working on putting him on an "emergency" list for a lung transplant - it basically gives him higher priority because he will not survive long without a transplant the way things are looking now. 
For any medical people out there, he needs 15-20L O2 when resting and 25-30L when he does the 430ft walk around the ward 4x /day. They've put him on some sort of bypass machine to give his lungs a break, although I don't know any details on that. :( And what's freaking me out the most right now is the flight. This whole situation is making all of my flying fears rear their ugly heads again.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

Re: Flying back to US

• Gftf7Gftf7 member
    So sorry to hear an update like this. Praying for you, your dad and mom. Hugs.
  • I'm so sorry Kelly :( I really hope things turn around for your dad soon and that you have a good flight.
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry for your dad; I hope he gets on that transplant list soon! Definitely get some anxiety or sleep aids for the flight; Dramamine knocked me out cold.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• DC2London said:
    Oh gosh, kelly, I"m so sorry.  Please tell me your DH is coming with you to help with the kids?  
    T&P to your dad, and to you for safe travels
    We discussed all variations - me alone, me with one kid, me with both kids, all of us, but in the end we decided the most practical solutions were me alone or all of us, and all of us would have cost $10000 (booking last minute in August - not a good idea). So we decided that I'm flying alone. DH had vacation this week anyway. Even my ticket alone is costing more than it will for the four of us to fly over Christmas (booked that flight months ago).
    I think that's another thing that's making me so anxious - this will be the longest I've ever been away from my kids. I started crying when I was putting DD1 to bed tonight, which was fantastic, of course, because then she started crying and didn't want me to leave her room. Meh. :(

Anxiety meds would probably be a good idea, but there's no time. I booked the flight at 5:15 tonight and leave for the airport at 5:45 in the morning.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP

• luxannie said:
    Good luck for an easy trip. Could any of these tips help? https://m.budgettravel.com/feature/travel-advice-overcoming-flight-anxiety,12630/
    I do use some of them, actually :) I once saw a documentary about airplane noises and it was really helpful. I mostly get freaked out on take-off, and now I can say, "ok, landing gear going up and locking. that's a good thing." I also once sat next to a pilot flying as a passenger who was not particularly helpful in some ways, but in others he was. He explained that on hot days there's more turbulence when taking off because of the updrafts created by the heat - so the plane is in an updraft then leaves it and drops, hits another and gets pushed up, etc. Knowledge is my friend :) Usually.

• I am so sorry. T&P for a safe and positive trip.
  • I like holding something very cold during takeoff and landing.  I try to buy a soda and some ice after security.  I don't know why it calms me down, but it works for me.

• I'm sorry to hear.  Thinking of you and your family...

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• Sorry to hear about your Dad. 
  • I'm sorry, Kelly. I hope you have a safe trip and your dad gets better. 

View Full Size Image
    BFP- 5/23/12 EDD- 1/23/13 DS born 2/2/13

Baby BOY #2 coming in May!

• So sorry.  Prayers for your family.

• ((Hugs)). Thinking of you during this time. Praying for your dad.

imageimage

Anniversary

• That whole situation stinks.  :-(  I will be sending lots of thoughts and prayers your way!!

• I'm sorry to hear things are going so badly for your dad. I hope that he is able to move up on the list. That is so much O2! 

I also hope you don't stress out too much about flying. It will be okay!
    So I had a comparison, I looked up how much O2 Everest climbers use. 1-3L is recommended with 4 being the absolute highest they recommend going. And Dad is on 15L resting, 30L when walking 400ft. Not good. I'm headed out to the airport in a few minutes, so I don't know when I'll be on again. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

• I'm so sorry this is happening. Hoping for a quick and uneventful flight and keeping your family in my thoughts.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I must have missed this, but wanted to say I am thinking about you and your family!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"