February 2014 Moms
Options

Baby's self-calming* techniques

* didn't want to use the term "self-soothing" which can be controversial and bring sleep-training to mind.

LO has started scratching his head when he's falling asleep, whether he's being rocked, nursed, or chilling on his own. The Dr said it's just a soothing technique and not to worry (wasn't worried, but just brought it up since it's sometimes by his ears and sometimes on top).

Any other Littles have calming habits as they fall asleep?
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Baby's self-calming* techniques

• Options
    Mine does the same thing! I took her to her doc because I was sure she had an ear infection, but nope, just her thing. She also hums her self to sleep.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LO self calms by putting one thumb in her mouth and holding on to her hair with the other hand. She used to grab her hair too hard and then start shrieking because pulled hair. I think she's finally learned :)

TTC #1 Since Feb 2012
    Me: 31, DH: 32
    Bloodwork, HSG, and SA = All Good

RE Cycle #1: 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel, and TI = BFP on June 8!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Beta #1 115, Beta #2 244, 8 week ultrasound shows one beautiful gummy bear and heartbeat!

• Options
    Mine loves to cover her face with an A&A swaddler. MommaA does not like this at all! She will also settle for burying her head in my chest.
    DD1 - Evelyn Riley - 9/30/11
    DD2 - Charlotte Avery - 1/27/14

• Options
    Sucks thumb. Tightly grasps lovie. Does what Baby Keags does. Has one certain sound he makes when he's trying to fall asleep (usually used only in carseat....why we don't use this sound at home and cry/scream instead, I have no idea).
    F14 January Siggy Challenge: Gym/Fitness Fails
       Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    Mine pulls her hair, covers her eyes with her arm, and kicks her legs
    September 2014 Siggy Challenge: Goats

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    She likes to scratch at the sheet-I guess she likes the noise? Its cute though, because if we have in our bed and she's napping, or she's in the pack n play and scratches, DH will scratch our sheet too. Its like they have a morse code. 
  • Options
    JoyBaby5 said:

Mine kicks his legs downward, both at the same time.

Same. He'll also flail one arm around and flip his fingers over his ear. All that moving really seems counterproductive to sleep.
  • Options
    I feel like my LO has done all the things mentioned at some point. Most sticking though is the humming himself to sleep. First unthought he liked my singing so I would sing more. Nope just a calming technique lol!
  • Options
    Running her fingers through her hair, humming to herself, then rolling to her side then holding her own hands.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Another for head scratcher over here!
  • Options
    DD sucks her thumb, and will occasionally rub the back/top of her head. More recently, she has discovered that she likes tags/other silky objects. (like the lining of our curtains). She will sort of rub it on her nose/occasionally suck on it. At night, she sleeps mostly on her side, one thumb in her mouth, the other hand covering her eyes.

dx PCOS 2007

BFP #1 (natural) 12/23/2010. Stillbirth due to IC 4/2/2011

TTC #2 starting 03/2012

RE starting 07/2012

05/2013 BFP on a Letrozole (Femara)/trigger!

Cerclage, Procardia, Makena, GD (with insulin), MBR, and we made it!  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Our Angel was born sleeping at 20 weeks due to IC.

• Options
    Humming sounds adorable.  My LO very loudly moans.  It scared me a bit and I used to change his position until I figured it out.  
    He's also a thumb sucker. 

F'14 October Siggy Challenge: Animals in Costumes

• Options

Yep, ditto to lots of these... face bury, head scratch/rub, and blanket snuggle/nuzzle. I remember DD did these and I was so worried she had baby OCD. Nope, just a normal baby thing.

I hope to create a real siggy but first I need some sleep!

Mom to Lily and Colin!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"