Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Return to work-LO won't take bottle and boob is only thing that soothes!

My LO will be 3.5 months when I go back to work at the end of August. We introduced a bottle at 3 weeks and she took one for a few weeks, but for the past month she refuses. My mom will be watching her when I go back to work. Today I was at her house with the baby and she was fussy. My mom tried to calm her for a good 20 mins while LO worked herself up to an all out scream. It was torture to listen to. We finally gave in and I took her and nursed her which finally calmed her down.
Lately my husband can't calm her either. I am so afraid that when I go back to work LO will scream all day long.
Has anyone been through this? How did your LO do when you returned to work?

Re: Return to work-LO won't take bottle and boob is only thing that soothes!

• My husband and I went out to dinner last night and my parents watched LO. She cried most of the time and did not take a bottle. She eventually just cried herself to sleep. It seems that I am the only one who can calm her and it usually involves me nursing her. Just hope she learns some ways to self soothe soon. I hate to think about her crying like that.
  • Yes, we went through the same thing.... At 3 weeks my baby took a bottle from my husband no problem (just a few times a week, otherwise breastfed) and we were happy knowing when I returned to work she would be ok... But all of a sudden at 2 months she "smartened" up and wouldn't take a bottle. We ended up having to buy a few different types of bottles until we found one she would accept again. I would sit on the stairs and hide while he attempted feedings and would give in and just offer her the breast if it didn't go well. He figured out feeding her in his arms (her sitting up, facing out, with her back against him) and looking out a window was better and she took the Tommy Tippee bottles no problem. (She had started refusing the Medela ones we had originally) So go buy a few different bottles , and try different distractions/feeding positions. By the time I had to go to work she was happy with the Tommy Tippee and continues to take it, but it definitely was a transition & she did better if I wasn't in the house, since she knew she could hold out for the real thing
  • Loading the player...
  • Your situation sounds a lot like mine! We finally got over some serious bottle aversion by trying lots of different kinds. It was really rough on my H but he survived :-)Leave the house! It really helps everyone! I would recommend only buying one at a time. We use the Lansinoh mOmma bottle.

I am also going back to work soon with a "spirited" baby (@rgoblue I love that!) who loves the boob. She will be with my parents and MIL and I am expecting a rough few weeks. I plan to bring thank you gifts frequently! Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"