May 2014 Moms
Options

Crazy MIL/family nuts go here

There was a call for crazy MIL stories so here's a post to put all the crazy. Tell us all about the recent crazy family stories. We all have at least a couple nuts in our families!

Anniversary 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  
Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

Re: Crazy MIL/family nuts go here

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Agree. Condom outfit!

Cook251 said:

Not totally nuts, but MIL hasn't seen DD since Mother's day....and in the first month of her life my MIL knitted her 4 blankets, 9 hats, 5 sweaters and some weird foot muff thing that basically looks like a giant knitted, purple condom that we are supposed to stick DD in. IT'S SUMMER!!! I can only imagine what we will get next time we actually see her!

PIP!!
  • Options
    MIL wants all her kids to travel to her for Christmas this year because it's "her turn". All her kids live in different states and there will be 2 babies under a year. As if I want to fly during the busiest time of the year with a seven month old.

The babies are within 2 hours driving distance of each other so
    I'm considering offering to pay their airfare even though they are loaded to make the point that she's nuts asking the only 2 families with kids who also happen to live near each other to fly. Plus 3 of her 4 kids work retail and we own a business so none of us could just leave during the holidays.
  • Options
    My baby boy has really bad colic and screams in the car, therefore at this time we don't drag him around. My MIL doesn't understand why we won't drive the 32 miles to her house to bring him over. She is too depressed to drive...well then you probably shouldn't be around my baby! (I think I complained about this before, but it's an on going conversation)
  • Options
    ho11ydayho11yday member
    edited August 2014
    tl;dr -- we haven't seen MIL since Father's day; DH hurt. SIL3 and MIL are feuding over each other being selfish; we try to avoid being dragged in.

DH is currently hurt by his mother. She has not seen DS2 since Father's Day. We think this is part of an emotional ploy against SIL3 (who just had her baby) and as well as some other issues dealing with an old job of hers.

SIL3 is upset that MIL didn't attend both her baby showers though both were at least a 6 hour drive away (and MIL has an injury that would prevent her from flying by herself or driving). SIL3 refuses to let her mother see her kid but asks that her mother pay for $600 rocking chairs; MIL asks to see SIL3 and her kid and is told that they don't want guests for the first month (or whatever) but then SIL3's DH's family got to see the baby right after he was born. SIL3 didn't tell MIL she was have an emergency c-section but is mad that MIL didn't try to stay in contact (i.e. that she wasn't calling every hour).

The hours after I had DS2, SIL3 called MH to cry and complain to him about how their mom was being mean to her without congratulating DH on the new addition. Just this month, she also asked DH to edit her letter to their mother in which she proceeded to be really mean to his mom. (DH didn't want to be dragged in, because once he gets involved, everyone turns on him.)

In it, SIL3 complained to her mother that her mother offered to throw me a baby shower for my second (which I turned down) but didn't offer to throw her one despite SIL3 declaring that she did not want anyone planning her baby shower except herself. Yes, she proceeded to throw her own baby shower and complained that no one (except her own evil MIL) threw her one. All of us here wanted to throw her one but she had explicitly stated she didn't want one; none of us are mind readers--how were we to know she was just saying these things and didn't really mean it?

SIL3 is also upset that MIL makes everything about herself instead of about SIL3. (Truly, her letter said that being pregnant made this time about SIL3 and that MIL had instead made it about herself by faking her illnesses and other troubles.) MIL is hurt that SIL3 is considering her illnesses as legit. MIL is also upset at SIL2 for acting like SIL3's mother (there is a 15 year gap between SIL2 and SIL3 and SIL2 only had boys/helped watch SIL3) but it is not SIL2's fault.

MIL can be difficult to deal with but come on sister, give the woman some slack. She drives me crazy too, don't get me wrong; but give her some slack.

T 2.12 | W 5.14

• Options
    So my MIL likes to flip flop with what she says. It gets annoying quick. When I was pregnant with LO we were team green. People always ask what do you think it is, well when MIL was first asked that question she said boy, then like 2 months into the pregnancy I had really bad morning sickness, so she swore it was a girl. Then towards the end when my body wasn't progressing into doing anything she continued to think girl. She even made the comment "wow she's just a stubborn little bitch like her momma" (she has no filter). Then finally I ended up with a schedule c section and her when she found out it was a boy she said "I've been saying that since the beginning." Kind of annoying just admit you really thought girl.

Now her recent flip flop is about spoiling him. MH and I are really going to try not to spoil him. We were both brought up not getting everything we wanted and then later on as late teens early 20s or so we both learned you need to work for what you want. And we want our son to learn those lessons too. So MIL knows MH and I aren't going to spoil him, but always makes comments to DS about when he is older she's gonna let him pick out any toy he wants. She's gonna take him wherever he wants to go. She's gonna get him McDonald's whenever he wants it. So I told her, I would have to put my foot down if I see/hear of this taking place. And she proceeds to tell me "oh I'm not gonna spoil him, I know you and DH don't want him like that" if you know that, don't say all the things you're gonna do for him. She also blames my FIL that he'll spoil DS. Which I can see that happening.

Sorry that turned out way longer than I wanted it to be.
  • Options
    I can't give just one example, but my MIL prefaces every piece of (unsolicited) advise with "you'll do what you think is right, BUT..." Her way of saying that whatever she's about to say is gold and I'm an idiot for not doing it. Like when she told me to put cereal in her bottles when she was 10 days old because that's what her mom did and it will make her STTN. Umm...no. 

My vice, though, is that I can't let things go and I have to show her how her advice is wrong/dangerous. So I showed her an article that shows that breast milk has enzymes that break down the calories from cereal so there is no benefit to putting it in the bottle as far as "making her full". Also, there is a serious risk of aspiration if she spits up. That shut her up. 

Other pet peeves with her (in no particular order): She SLATHERS diaper rash cream on her for no reason, she CONSTANTLY tries to shove a paci in her mouth-even though we never give them to her and she's fine without it, and every time she comes over she brings some kind of junk food even though I've repeatedly told her we purposely don't keep it in the house. 

Whew...felt good to get that out. :P
    BFP#1 8/3/12~EDD 4/1/13~Natural M/C 9/1/12-9w6d 
    BFP#2 5/30/13~EDD 2/3/14~Confirmed CP 5/31/13
    7/12/13 Hysteroscopy & Lap Lysis of Adhesions
    1st Cycle on Clomid Aug '13: BFP#3 8/24/13~EDD 5/3/14
    Hoping Third Time's a Charm!!- IT'S A GIRL!!!! 
    KAYLIE MARIE IS HERE! BORN 5/4/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Lilypie - (nUwf)

All AL-ers welcome in my posts! <3
  • Options
    Early on in my pregnancy my MIL, who lives far away, insisted on being here when J would be born, for TWO WEEKS. 1, she didn't have two nickels to rub together so we had to pay for her flight, and we're not exactly well off either so that went on our credit card. Fine. I understand how hard it would be to not get to see your grandson in person because she lives so far away. What made me mad was that she refused to compromise when she'd be coming here. I really didn't want anyone in the delivery room but DH and she said she'd wait outside but I kinda doubt that. Not to mention I just wanted us to be on our own for a couple weeks, but nope. Had to be here before he was born. Well turned out J came two weeks early so it worked out exactly how I wanted... Teehee.
  • Options

FIL keeps telling me how LO "was so good. She didn't misbehave at all." ... you're joking right? She's 2 months, she's too young to do much of anything purposefully aside from shove her fist in her mouth. And if she was fussy, would he spank her like our old friend Slaps4Jesus? Not.Ok.

It totally bothers me when people say she was a 'good girl'. If she cries or fusses she is being bad?! I'm sure that's not what she means but it irks me too.
  • Options
    I will add a non-MIL story just for funsies. I have a wonderful MIL fortunately by my own family is all kinds of crazy and messed up.

We just went on a beach trip with my family and I have a younger brother and sister (but even though they are younger they are still in their late 20's, they aren't children even though they act like it). My sister and I are no longer speaking after the trip b/c she told me I was a bitch to my 3 year old and she "feels sorry for my children", and it was obvious that my 3 year old prefers her and it's "not just b/c he is 3 and doesn't know better". She's a real gem. She has always been full of parenting advice, yet has no kids nor has she ever spent much time around mine.

My brother and I also got into it b/c apparently I ruined his entire vacation by having everyone "accomodate our schedule". Well, we are the only ones with children and one of them is an infant, so yeah we have to make sure we go places at certain times as to avoid meltdowns.

Basically me having kids just puts a damper on my siblings' lives. Fun times for all.
    BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

• Options
    gypsymysticgypsymystic member
    edited August 2014
    FIL keeps telling me how LO "was so good. She didn't misbehave at all." ... you're joking right? She's 2 months, she's too young to do much of anything purposefully aside from shove her fist in her mouth. And if she was fussy, would he spank her like our old friend Slaps4Jesus? Not.Ok.
    OMG This reminded me of another gem from my MIL. My MIL always insists her babies 'were good babies' and mine must be defective since 'her babies did not cry when they teethed', as toddlers 'never put anything in their mouth', were 'never loud in the car or in public' and a much, much more common childhood behaviours her children apparently never exhibited- nefer bit, never hit, potty trained in an instant and never had accidents, never threw temper tantrums etc... I call BS. H is her youngest and he is almost 31 so clearly she does not remember shit anymore. She always has to play some sort of competitive game or insist that there is something wrong with our kids or our parenting because her children were so much more awesomesauce in comparison and apparently she was supermom and she did EVERYTHING right.  :-@
    Nikolas Knight 
    Born: August 8th, 2009   8lbs 8oz  4:33pm

Nolan Lawrence 
    Born: May 21st2014   8lbs 14oz  3:27pm

There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. 
    One is roots; the other, wings."   -Hodding Carter
  • Options
    We're lucky not to have any major problems with either of our families.

The only issue we have with mine is that my mom has zero respect for naptime. She rolls her eyes anytime she hears of a child "needing" to take a nap, and I swear she does everything in her power to push back, shorten, or altogether skip naps. She says anyone her age who's ever had kids knows how ridiculous it is to be strict about forcing them to rest in the middle of the day. She's normally very easygoing and quite the people pleaser, so I have no idea why she's so snotty about naps. It's the weirdest thing.

My brother and SIL are super rigid with their son's schedule, to the point of causing strain in the family and in their own marriage, but I consider that their problem, not mine.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options
    Oh I have another one, completely different side of the family. A little background info. My parents got divorced when I was 9, my dad had visitation every other weekend. He probably only followed that like 3 times. So me and my brothers never really saw him. My dad never made an effort to contact us or anything. When I was like 20, I found out he was living up the street from us and he has been there 6 months before I found out. He was also invited to my wedding, and a few others from his side of the family.

So now to the story. It was like the 2nd day after DS was born. My mom was visiting with me and she was texting like non stop. So I asked who she is talking to. She told me it was my aunt (my dad's sister). My mom thought it would be nice to let her and my dad know that I had a baby, especially so my dad knows he's a grandfather now. Well my aunt proceeded to tell my mom, that she will not tell anyone on that side of the family about my baby because I'm being selfish in the way we mentioned it. She also said that my mom manipulated me and brothers into thinking my dad is a horrible person, and that she kept us from seeing him. And then she told my mom she hopes for the baby's and MH's sake that we don't end in a divorce because I would then turn into my mother and manipulate my son. She also said my mom is very difficult to live with and no wonder my dad left. And she said that I don't care for my dad I just use him for money.

Now I'm extremely hormonal after just having a baby, I was so pissed off I wanted to go find this woman and set her story straight about my mom and dad and why it actually ended. And how me and my brothers would wait for my dad to come get us and he would never show.

Well that night MH decided it he would call my dad and let him know about grandson. He did come to visit me and DS when we got home from the hospital. And he asked about coming to visit again and I told him sure, just call me... My DS is almost 3 months and my dad hasn't seen him since he was 7days old. I haven't even got a phone call asking how DS is doing.
  • Options
    KellyQ116 said:

It totally bothers me when people say she was a 'good girl'. If she cries or fusses she is being bad?! I'm sure that's not what she means but it irks me too.
    I personally hate the "good girl/boy" and "bad girl/boy" thing. My MIL will tell DS1 bad boy when he misbehaves. No. My son is not bad, he may be acting out currently but he is not a bad kid. And quit fucking saying "bad boy" like you are scolding the damn dog!!

Anniversary 
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"