3rd Trimester

Gestational Diabetes -- food suggestions

I was diagnosed on Thursday last week and have been doing excellently with maintaining my levels; however, I am becoming bored with my food already. I have been eating a lot of eggs, tuna, cheese and yogurt for protein. I am getting sick of  most of it. Does anyone have good suggestions for healthy protein sources that are easy to throw into a lunch for work? Also any good morning proteins that aren't eggs? I still have ten weeks to do provided my LO doesn't come early and I can't see living on a diet with a lack of variety. Help would be appreciated from those who have been there done that. 

Re: Gestational Diabetes -- food suggestions

• Google protien sources?

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The thing that my numbers seem to like the most is chili!  (Go figure!)  I haven't been able to eat meat since late February, but I seem to be able to hide it in chili & it's the only time I have close to decent numbers.
    Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: September 23
    PGAL: September 2010
    AMA:

• Loading the player...
  • I have gesso every morning, I'm over them but there isn't much else I can do for breakfast, cereal is out of the question. A great snack is guacamole with corn chips or veggies, or a serving of mixed nuts. For a sweet craving Kind Bars are the best! Many of the flavours have 15 carbs, you just have to check them.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm a pretty picky eater, but I'll tell you the things that have worked for me!

Pepperonis on sara lee 45 calories and delightful bread - add some cheese and it's a mini pizza with very few carbs!

Smart Balance popcorn from Target (that's the only place around me that carries it - not sure if it's a Target-only thing) - it comes pre-popped and 3 cups is only like 18 carbs or something - very filling.

I also get the JIF To-Go cups of peanut butter.  They are perfectly portioned and great for dipping celery in. Or a spoon.

Laughing Cow cheese wedges are also awesome and go great with veggies.  I get the garlic swiss cheese kind and it's aahhh-mazing.

And I'm very ashamed to admit I know this, but a pepperoni pizza hot pocket only has like 33 carbs.  But, not the greatest thing to feed our little ones, nutrition-wise, so I try to use that in emergencies only.

Also great in an emergency - those popsicles that come in the plastic tubes.  Three of them counts as one serving and it's only 11 carbs in that serving.  So, one of those popsicles (<4 carbs), ain't no thang.

But, I would make that sara lee 45 calories and delightful bread your BFF.  I get the whole wheat kind and two slices has only like 14g of carbs.  Peanut butter sandwiches, grilled cheese, mini pizzas... the possibilities are endless!

I can't live without carbs, so sorry I don't have much for straight protein recommendations. I'm always in it for the carbs.
  • leela02leela02 member
    edited July 2014
    Seeds are pretty low carb and contain some protein. You can get raw pumpkin and sunflower seeds and quickly roast them at home so you can control how much salt/oil is used (the prepackaged roasted kind are too salty for me). I also love watermelon seeds but I don't usually see them in stores. Nuts.com sells them.

• ss265ss265 member
    The general rule of thumb is to pair 2 servings of protein (14g) with one serving of carbs (15g). For breakfast, I usually have a glass of soy milk and a greek yogurt. Lunch can be anything, just load up on meat and veges and reduce your intake of carbs like rice, bread, potatoes etc. Same thing with dinner. I like to eat a small green apple with a babybel cheese as my mid morning snack and nuts for my afternoon snack. You can eat a ton of things, just adjust your ratio of protein to carbs accordingly.

• Beef jerky from whole foods, cause it has no nitrates or bed stuff in it... It's a great treat when I get into a protein rut (I feel you on the eggs).

Also whipped cream only has 1 carb per 2 tbsp, so I put that on my fruit and feel like I'm indulging hard core!

(I have a pretty severe case of GD)
  • I'm kinda borderline GD so I don't follow anything strictly. 
    But one of my favorites that even my husband likes is spaghetti squash.  I roast it with olive oil and garlic, then string it out like pasta sometimes with zucchini too. Then I make ground beef in a pan with marinara sauce to mix in with the noodles.  Since I love cheese I usually add some ricotta on top
    I think breakfasts are the worst because there's not much variety, but I get a lot of recipes off pinterest.  I search for GD recipes then I just double check reading the ingredients list to see if its really GD friendly.
  • I've actually had luck with Special K protein cereal for a change at breakfast. I can't stand eggs everyday so I usually alternate with that!
  • Justabean3Justabean3 member
    edited August 2014
    I eat low sugar oatmeal and 1/2 cup berries

Yogurt and sugar free pudding mixed for a sweet

Chicken and honey glazed carrots

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"