December 2012 Moms

Tough decisions

So we live in nj and it's just so expensive, dh works for united airlines and has a opportunity to move to Houston. There would be a nice pay raise but would mean we are leaving everyone behind :( I'm still on the fence about it. We are living comfortably here but really can't save, which we want to save to buy a house and be where we are going to be by the time dd starts school. If we liked it out there the houses are much cheaper, I heard the schools are very good, and I wouldn't have to work anymore! I prob would still do something pt to not go stir crazy. We also have the added bonus of flying benefits so we could come back and visit for free anytime, which makes the decision a little easier. Hmm what to do?? I'm pretty sure dh will be offered this job and then we would def have to make the decision, right now it's all hypothetical!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Tough decisions

• Hi there!

I live in Houston! Housing is getting more an more expensive, but I think compared to the east coast you can still afford a lot more bang for your buck. Some of the suburban school districts are very good. There are good schools in HISD, but there are also very bad schools. We have school choice within HISD, so if you aren't zoned to a good school you can try to get into one, but there's no guarantee.

Houston has a bad reputation nationally, but it's a great city to live in. There is a ton of culture -- museums, theaters, other arts and music, fantastic restaurants -- as well as some really nice parks, shopping, etc. It's very big, so if you do move here I'd recommend renting for a bit while you figure out where you want to live.  I'm a city girl myself, but lots of people prefer the suburbs.

You can get a lot of bang for your buck in Houston. 

Good luck in making your decision! If you decide to move to Houston, don't do it until after September!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Since you have the added bonus of cheap/free flights to be able to visit family back home, I'd say go for it! While DH and I still live in our hometown (I came back for him), we don't have any family close enough to help us out with the kids and we manage to make it work. It can be a little frustrating some times to hear our other friends complain about their parents not being able to take their grandkids that week but I usually give them a dirty look and tell them to stop complaining and be happy. We found a great babysitter so it all works out. Plus you getting to work less would be a great bonus. Save on child-care and still get to work towards the home-ownership goal.

Good luck!
    image image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh man, that is tough. If it were me, I'd probably go for it, but I know that is easier said than done. I used to live in Houston, and it's true, there's more to do there than what everyone thinks. The downtown area is pretty cool, and cost of living is still good, depending on where you live, of course. Plus, you have the added benefit of being able to fly back. Sounds pretty promising...and no shoveling snow this winter! 
    photo 9de7615e-e1c7-4dc7-be37-5cc4c9e4e703_zpse37bbba7.jpg AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • jac409jac409 member
    I agree, that is a tough one! But, it sounds like there a lot of positives to consider. If it were me, I would probably say go for it. We don't have any family nearby ourselves. There are positives and negatives to that as well. I guess we never knew any different because it has been that way since day 1, but it is doable. Good luck with your decision!
  • @valeriegp we are going to move close to the airport, how are the neighborhoods there if u know? We were thinking humble or spring,

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFetus Ticker
  • dlbello23 said:
    @valeriegp we are going to move close to the airport, how are the neighborhoods there if u know? We were thinking humble or spring,

I live in Houston! My best friend lives near Humble(in Kingwood) and she absolutely loves it. She's always talking about how great the area is. It sounds like a great opportunity for your family. I hope everything works out well for you.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Second Birthday tickers

BFP#1:MC 8/20/2010| BFP#2:MC 7/9/2011| BFP#3:DD born 12/14/2012

• Just adding a grain of sand to your thoughts as you mull over the possibility. We're in California, and have had a few friends who've moved to other "less expensive" areas of the state or out of state. Yes, they were able to get more house for the money, however salaries are lower & food still costs about the same. So they have not been that much further ahead than when they started (granted, were able to buy a larger house with decent schools) but still have not been able to save up much money because it goes to the house.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I moved from MA to GA about six years ago for a job opportunity and lower cost of living and would not be able to go back to paying more. I can't speak to Texas, but even groceries are cheaper down here. I had a lot of family within driving distance and nobody in GA. I had never been to GA but I moved with the attitude that if I didn't like it I could always move back. So I would make the move. Interestingly my ILs and my sister have since moved within 10 minutes of us.

If DH is staying within the same company he could always apply for positions back in NJ if it turns out you hate it.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• I wouldn't necessarily give anything, but I'd give a lot (such as, where we live), to live somewhere where we would be financially secure without my income. If I had the opportunity to buy a beautiful home, stay home with my baby/ies and still easily fly to see my family, I'd jump at it! BUT, that's just me :)

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My DH has considered jobs in Houston.  He would make a lot more, but since we do not live in a large city now, the cost of living for us would not be lower, probably.  Plus, his commute looked like it would be substantial, while his commute now is about 5 minutes.  The SAHM board told me the heat was hell and that we would not like it there...plus, we are not Texans at heart.  But perhaps since the airport sounds like it could be near a desirable place to live, you guys would not have to be in the car so much and that would make a lot of difference.  Look for a place with a pool.
  • My bff lives in Houston.  We're from Michigan originally so the heat was something she had to get used to.  At first, she hated every second of living in Houston.  But, she has friends now, met her husband there, and bought a condo in downtown.  She has really grown to like it.  Getting ahead financially is a definite plus.  You don't have to stay there forever, either, if you don't like it.  My brother and SIL lived in Phoenix for three years, hated it, and are now moving up to WI.  Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Houston is awesome!  I am from the Midwest originally, and although the summers here really are brutal, the fall/winters/spring are amazing. So nice to be able to be outdoors most of the year.  Great food, culture, etc and the people are nice.  I say take a chance and go for it, and as pp said, you can always move back if it doesn't work out.  Good luck!
  • I'm sorry I've just now seen your reply to me! 

I don't know much about the specific areas around the airports, but there are areas around Humble and Spring that are nice. I think the Humble school district is good, especially the Kingwood schools. 
  • I'd say go for it. My husband also works for united and with the free flying you can always visit. We moved to Florida after we got married (had to come back very quickly after settling in...long story). Granted I have dd now and one on the way so if miss family but if the opportunity presented itself to us and I was able to quit my job I'd do it in a heart beat.

I've also always wanted to move out of country though too so moving to another state doesn't seem too bad.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"