September 2014 Moms
Options

BCBS of TX & Breast pumps they are clueless

TheNuttTheNutt member
edited July 2014 in September 2014 Moms
I have BCBS of TX and have called them THREE TIMES trying to find out how to get a breast pump. Each time they say they are covered but tell me different (incorrect) ways to get it! One told me to take my script to WalMart because they sell pumps and they should give it to me free. She then said I have no limit so I should go ahead and just get 2 in case one burns up. Another time they told me I have to take my script to a pharmacy. The lady @ CVS looked at me like I was nuts!

I am currently on hold (45 min so far), again, with a sweet lady trying really hard to find me an answer but isn't having much luck. If you have BCBS of TX HOW DID YOU GET YOUR PUMP? Help!

Re: BCBS of TX & Breast pumps they are clueless

• Options
    That is horrible.  I have bcbs of mi and I had to go through a durable medical equipment company.  Search durable medical equipment on their website and start calling them until you find one with breast pumps (took multiple phone calls to find one).  That sucks that no one can answer your question.    

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Probably not relevant, but I'm BCBS of TN and I got mine through a Durable Medical Equipment place.  They took care of contacting BCBS and getting the script from my OB.  All I had to do was tell them that I wanted a pump.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

S14 August Siggy Challenge.....ALL OF THE ALCOHOLS

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have BCBS of Texas. I called the medical supply company they referred me to and asked them for the Ameda purely yours. They sent it to me a week later with a release allowing them to request reimbursement for it. That's all I did.
  • Options
    What company did they refer you to? The genius I got was calling around to some in Dallas and finally gave up. Gave me the generic # to my hospital and told me they would have them. Which... they do but are not set up as a DME and so they can't bill insurance.

• Options
    you should be able to search durable medical equipment under covered providers on BCBS website.

• Options
    I can't remember the company, but it might have been green mountain in Fort Worth. I'm sorry. :(
  • Options
    an02102 said:

That is horrible.  I have bcbs of mi and I had to go through a durable medical equipment company.  Search durable medical equipment on their website and start calling them until you find one with breast pumps (took multiple phone calls to find one).  That sucks that no one can answer your question.    

I have bcbs mi too, but was told i had to wait until after baby is born and i can provide a birth certificate to receive a pump. Was that your experience too?
  • Options
    camichael84camichael84 member
    edited July 2014
    I'm ordering mine through Byram Healthcare (https://www.byramhealthcare.com/index.php). I have Anthem, but it has BCBS of TX listed as one of the insurance providers. Hope you get it figured out!

• Options
    I have BCBS of Florida. I called the insurance company and they told me that my plan covers them 100%, so they transferred me to CareCentrix where they took my info. They asked me if I wanted a manual or electric and if I wanted electric, did I want an Ameda or Medela. It was pretty easy. I just did it recently so I don't have it yet, but it should be here soon. 

Good luck and keep trying!  It's worth it.

• Options
    I'm in MI, but have BCBS of FL and was told i needed to get a script from my doctor after the baby was born and to have it filled at a medical supply company.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    cmumama said:
    I'm in MI, but have BCBS of FL and was told i needed to get a script from my doctor after the baby was born and to have it filled at a medical supply company.
    CareCentrix took my insurance info and doctor's name and verified his office address. I think they are contacting his office to verify my pregnancy, but I was never told I needed a script. So weird (and annoying) how you get different answers when talking to different reps on the phone. 

• Options
    I have BCBS of TX and in August of 2013 when I needed the pump, I had to wait until I had the baby. I then called them and they mailed me any pump I wanted. When I called them prior to delivery, they tried to send me to medical supply companies and that was a big fail.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • Options
    NicoCo724 said:
    I have bcbs mi too, but was told i had to wait until after baby is born and i can provide a birth certificate to receive a pump. Was that your experience too?
    Nope, I just had to provide a prescription, I did it at the same time as getting all my GD supplies, at first they told me they might not be able to ship till after the baby was born, but they mailed it out to me a few weeks ago and I have it now.  I do know that wright and fillipis would not send one till after baby.

• Options
    jortiz780 said:
    I have BCBS of Florida. I called the insurance company and they told me that my plan covers them 100%, so they transferred me to CareCentrix where they took my info. They asked me if I wanted a manual or electric and if I wanted electric, did I want an Ameda or Medela.
    Same experience for me with bcbs of fla except when I first called they said I was eligible for one once I registered at the hospital and provided me with an intake # to give carecentrix for when I had registered at hospital then called them.  Super easy, glad to have a choice of the 2 pumps and arrived within 1 week or me ordering.  Now just need to find a bag for the pump/accessories since it comes as a starter kit.
  • Options
    I have BCBS of Texas and had my OB write a script and she told me where to go.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"