Blended Families
Options

not gaining enough

So I've been struggling with my 10 wk old for awhile. She does not like to eat. She nurses quickly and infrequently. She has reflux and is on prevacid. Ive also been on the mspi diet for a month. She has only gained 3 oz a week for the last two weeks and will refuse to eat often. Im at a loss for what to do. Can't get into GI doc for three weeks. Im not sure if shell do better by bottle but we are thinking to try to pump and bottle feed during the day. Possibly feed her in her sleep. Its going to suck but I can't let her not eat enough. LC made me feel crappy bc I don't co sleep and I could be missing feeding cues. Cosleeping just won't work for me and now I feel even more to blame. Im going to stop swaddling and feed more at night. So ill be super sleep deprived too. My mom says just give it up and feed her formula. I put so much into this and feel so sad about giving up even though im pretty sure my baby doesnt like nursing anyway. Oh and I go back to work in a week. Sorry so long. Im juat lost and sad. Im sure nobody has an answer but I thought I'd see what others thought.

Re: not gaining enough

• Options
    Oh so sorry wrong board. Im a mess.
  • Options
    I know you posted on the wrong board, but i wanted to offer support for what it's worth.

I NEVER EVER had co-slept, but I BFed. My DS also had reflux and they put me on a special diet to try to make things easier on him. We fed about 10wks in, and the Dr suggested trying soy formula. He did well on it. I felt horrible, but it wasn't my fault. I learned a lot, and I learned a lot more actually after I stopped BFing.

You can BF without co-sleeping, and anyone who thinks otherwise has obviously never known anyone who lost a child to a co-sleeping accident.

The risks of co-sleeping, to me, outweighed the benefits of co-sleeping with my infant son.

Don't feel bad. It's not your fault. You do what you can to do the best for your LO, and you learn. Good luck and don't be so hard on yourself.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I too BF with a kid with reflux and I did not co-sleep. That little guy nursed for 16 months. Co sleeping is not the answer. But a happy mom is so you have to do what you have to do. It's ok to give it your all and start to introduce formula at any point that works for you and your LO.
  • Options
    My first had horrible reflux. I co-slept. Honestly, it didn't make a lick of difference. He just knew that eating hurt so he didn't want to do it. If you don't want to cosleep don't do it. I've never heard of cosleeping helping reflux. My son took prevacid and zantac. The combination worked for him but neither individually did. Be sure they adjust the dosage based on weight gain - I'd notice a relapse when he would chunk up a bit. What helped us the most was feeding therapy through a children's therapy service (they had OT, PT, speech, etc. - ours was through OT). He went from failure to thrive to being a chunky monkey.

I breastfed both of my reflux babies. With my son who had it worse I pumped and gave him a bottle. With my daughter I BF. It's ok to give a bottle. If BFing isn't working then give formula a shot. If you want to you could always pump when giving formula then if you decide not to you can go back to BFing. Don't let anyone make you feel bad for how you feed your baby. Both BM and formula are perfectly acceptable nutrition wise. 

Reflux is hard. So incredibly hard. It hurts to see your baby not eating. I would obsess and worry all day about how much he was eating. I feel for you. 

I just remembered that I used to add formula powder to my sons bottled breast milk since he wasn't eating much. Definitely don't do that without your pedi's ok but you may want to ask about that.
  • Options
    Is he sleeping flat? My little man has mild reflux and we moved him to a RockNPlay. It made such a difference in his sleep. When he was able to sleep and keep the acid from coming up, he stopped refusing to eat. I don't see how co-sleeping would help with reflux.

Feed him as close to vertical as possible. Anything to keep the acid from pooling in his throat and esophagus.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yes I totally forgot about the rock and play!
  • Options
    Thanks. You're all so kind. I didn't mean to take over your board. We saw a pediatric GI who recommended elecare suspecting additional food allergies. Im already dairy and soy free. I was ready to switch but she wouldn't touch that formula. So we're trying to sleep feed every 3 hours and work on bottle feeding with breastmilk. Not sure what we're going to do next. As far as co sleeping I think it was more for weight gain than reflux. She suggested im missing feeding cues. But im pretty sure im not since the kid never wants to eat. Just felt like I was being blamed when I already feel so guilty.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"