Third-Party Reproduction

Has anyone been an egg donor? (Nevermind...RE answered my question)

Edited...I was looking for advice on egg donation and finally got to talk to my RE's office and I am too old.  :( Sorry for the pointless post now...I'd delete but I don't know how. 
DD 6/17/08, DD 6/9/10, DD 12/15/11
BFP 5/24/13 - Natural MC 6/7/13
BFP 8/13/13 - Natural MC 8/27/13
Ovarian Mass = removal of left ovary & tube 9/13
BFP 4/24/14 - Tubal Pregnancy 5/7/14
Removal of  ruptured right tube 5/8/14
IVF or adoption??

Re: Has anyone been an egg donor? (Nevermind...RE answered my question)

• I have, but I was not trying to grow my own family at the same time, which really could complicate the emotional aspect of it.  Emotionally, it was all positive for me, but it sounds like it might be more complicated for you, so I guess my advice is to really talk out all the nooks and crannies of how you're feeling with the psychologist. (The clinic or agency you donate through will have you meet with a psychologist before you proceed to actually donating, so take advantage of that access.)

I am a little confused about your situation--namely, why donor embryos could work for you but not your own eggs, if there is no egg quality issue.  I know you didn't ask about that, though, and I don't want to pry so I will butt out.  However, depending on the reason your eggs aren't suitable for a pregnancy for you, your ability to be a donor may be affected as well.
  • edited August 2014

I have, but I was not trying to grow my own family at the same time, which really could complicate the emotional aspect of it.  Emotionally, it was all positive for me, but it sounds like it might be more complicated for you, so I guess my advice is to really talk out all the nooks and crannies of how you're feeling with the psychologist. (The clinic or agency you donate through will have you meet with a psychologist before you proceed to actually donating, so take advantage of that access.)

I am a little confused about your situation--namely, why donor embryos could work for you but not your own eggs, if there is no egg quality issue.  I know you didn't ask about that, though, and I don't want to pry so I will butt out.  However, depending on the reason your eggs aren't suitable for a pregnancy for you, your ability to be a donor may be affected as well.
    Thank you for the advice! The reason I wouldn't use my own eggs is because we have been incredibly blessed with 3 children and we just don't have $10,000-$15,000 (or more) to spend on a 'maybe' for IVF. We also don't know how we feel about having left over embryos. Also, as I mentioned, we've always wanted to adopt (in some way shape or form) so this is the time to look into that vs trying to go through IVF for a biological child. I'm new to infertility and it's a horrible and devastating place to be...I cannot imagine how much worse it would be if I didn't already have my girls. I'd love to help others going through this nightmare and I'm hoping this can be a way I can help.

It is definitely a complicated situation and I'm definitely still going through a lot of grief, so I'm in research mode right now. We will not be pursuing anything until next year at the earliest...but I'm a planner and like to have all the info if possible.

IVF or adoption??
  • Loading the player...
  • edited August 2014
    And I should add I haven't gone to talk to my RE about egg donation yet. I'm just at the beginning stages of thinking about this.
    IVF or adoption??
  • How old are you? Usually egg donor cut off is 31.
    Lil'mamaz was born on Aug 21, 2014! She's PERFECT!

It's been a long road to here...
    Me (43) and J (45) - same sex couple. And we don't feel 40+!
    June'12 - First RE Visit
    Sept. '12 - Tubes removed
    Dec. '12 - Donor Egg/Donor Sperm IVF Cycle - 4 good embies!
    Dec. '12 - Fresh transfer, BFP! EDD 8/29/13
    Mar. '13 - Missed m/c at 16w1d, baby boy stopped growing at 15w4d
    Loss due to umbilical cord clot...baby was perfect. :(
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec.' 2, 2013 - FET#3 with our last chance embie - BFP!!!
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!
    EDD 8/20/14 with a baby girl!
    Little S was born on 8/21/14 - 8lb, 14 oz and 20 inches long.
    We live in Seattle and used SRM for our donor egg IVF cycle

imageimageimageimage

• How old are you? Usually egg donor cut off is 31.

Oh wow...hadn't read that yet. I just turned 32 so that might be the end of that. :(
    IVF or adoption??
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"