Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

2 days of misoprostol and still waiting :(

fawn92fawn92 member
edited August 2014 in Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
I hope it's ok to start a new thread. It's a continuation of what I first wrote about but with a different focus. 
I was diagnosed on July 18th with a missed miscarriage. I should have been 10w1d and the baby was measuring 9w4d and no heart beat. 3 u/s later and same results I decided to try misorpostol. I took the first dose (800mcg vaginally) yesterday morning at 7:45 am with very little cramping and minimal bleeding. I was told to take a second dose 24 hours later if nothing happened. And so I did, this morning same time. 
I was doing ok up until now. It's been 4 hours since the second dose and still nothing. Very little bleeding and minimal cramping. I just want this to be over with so badly. I feel like my life has been on hold for the past two weeks-afraid to go too far from home and not doing much but sitting in my thoughts is starting to drive me nuts (I have a hard time sitting still) 
Has anyone else had a similar experience? Was there anything you did during the time of taking the misoprostol that was helpful? I've been sitting A LOT. I'm wondering if I should go for a walk or something. I don't know. Sorry for yet another vent. I'm just so done with this. :( 
Thanks for listening. <3

Re: 2 days of misoprostol and still waiting :(

• Options
    Did you take any over the counter drugs like Midol or Advil?
    I'm sorry it's not working for you :(
    Me - 35 DH - 41
    TTC 06.03.2013 
    BFP 06.15.2014  EDD 02.25.2015  MMC 07.07.2014 Miso 07.18.2014 
                                                                 August TTCAL Siggy Challenge : WTF Tattoos
    image     image
  • Options
    Unfortunately, cytotec (misoprostol) doesn't always work though I really wish I could tell you different. My first dose was the same as yours with much of the same reaction, though my second was within 48 hours after the first failed and resulted in extremely heavy bleeding and clotting. Ultrasounds still showed retained tissue and I was given another dose this time 3 doses worth of 400 mg every 4 hours - results were same as the first. I ended up with an in-office D&C (long story but never do an in-office, general anesthesia is only way in my opinion). 

FX your experience will be better! OB told me that it can take up to 5 days for it to work in some people, but @heartbot is right, moving around does help though it sucks. Feel free to PM if there is anything I can help you with, I know how rough this can be and I hope it'll be over for you soon.

Life is a balance of holding on and letting go.

BFP #1 05/19/14, EDD 01/19/15, MMC 06/12/14 

BFP #2 10/10/14, EDD 06/19/15

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies for the suggestions and for sharing your experiences. This wait is for the birds!
    @farniegal no advil or midol, just Tylenol 3's (with codeine) for the cramping. 
    The nurse from the early pregnancy clinic gave me her email address so I contacted her yesterday. She said the same as @paintdadanta-there is small percentage of people that it does not have an effect on. Perfect. :P The nurse also said that as long as there is no sign of infection, heavy bleeding or unbearable cramping, I am fine to wait to see her and the doc again until my scheduled appointment on Wednesday.
    I am noticing more bleeding today but still not what I'd have expected. We had plans to go to a country music festival this weekend. I'm sort of scared to leave the house but at the same time being cooped up is making me feel so much worse. So we are going to attempt to go (with an escape plan of course.) and we are staying really close by so we can always leave at any time. I'm a little nervous but it's exactly what we need right now. 
    I hope everyone's weekend is peaceful and relaxing. :) 

• Options
    paintdadantapaintdadanta member
    edited August 2014
    @fawn92 - I hope you enjoy the festival! Definitely take the time for the both of you to enjoy yourselves. 

I know what you are taking for pain shouldn't interfere with your cytotec but other medications can which is something to discuss with your doctor if they don't already have a list. For example, my OB gave the go ahead to take my Skelaxin RX (muscle relaxer) but in hindsight, we are agreed that it was what caused it to fail completely the first time. Best of luck!

Life is a balance of holding on and letting go.

BFP #1 05/19/14, EDD 01/19/15, MMC 06/12/14 

BFP #2 10/10/14, EDD 06/19/15

• Options
    ************Ticker Warning**************

I am so sorry you are going through this.  I tried two doses of the pill and it did not work.  I had very little cramping and a few clots, but nothing significant passed.  I ended up having a D&C.  My bean had stopped growing at 6 weeks and I was at 9 weeks when I had the D&C.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Me 36 DH 39

DD 3/29/12
                      BFP 6/4/14 ~ MMC 7/7/14 ~ D&C 7/15/14            
    BFP 11/28/14 ~ MMC  12/29/14    

TTCAL Siggy Challenge

• Options
    Thanks @paintdadanta. :) I've been pretty careful and have only been taking the T3's. We enjoy ed the festival and I'm so glad we went. Being at home in my thoughts just waiting is not serving me well. 
    @lcwed Do you mind if I ask how long after the misoprotstol did go for a d&c? I have an appointment this wednesday and I'm guessing that's what they are going to suggest. 
    I'm headed back to work tomorrow, fingers crossed that if it does happen between now and my appointment it happens when I'm at home. (If only things worked that way, huh? ;) 
    Off to clean and try and take my mind off of this. I've been choosing not such healthy ways of coping with the wait I'm afraid (eating way too much junk and laying in bed.) so hopefully this will make me feel better. 
  • Options
    I'm sorry it didn't work so far :( I was really hoping this update would have better news.
    T&P that it happens when you are home. Just have some pads with you at the office in case.
    Hugs! 
    Me - 35 DH - 41
    TTC 06.03.2013 
    image     image
  • Options
    fawn92fawn92 member
    edited August 2014
    Thank you both. I spoke with my boss and she was extremely supportive of me staying home until I've talked with the doctor. This eases my mind as now I can just be at home and not have to worry about work. (I had a lot of sick time banked thank goodness.) 
    On a side note...can anyone recommend some things you did to help you feel better? My normal strategies are mostly things I should probably wait on (exercise, baths, etc) Any good chick flicks or tv series you've watched lately? :)
    Hope this finds everyone well and coming off a good weekend. 
  • Options
    ** siggy warning**

We just watched The Other Woman this week and it was actually pretty good. Good for a laugh.
    Orange is the New Black is a good show too.

BFP #1 05/03/12 DD: 12/18/12
    BFP #2 05/26/14 MMC: 6/26/14 D&C: 7/18/14
    BFP #3 10/09/14 MC 10/24/14

• Options
    @fawn92 I took a 4 pill dose on Monday morning and went in for u/s on Tuesday.  I knew it didn't work because it didn't feel any different from the weekend dose so I didn't eat Tuesday morning.  They did the u/s at 10:00 and scheduled for the D&C at 1 PM that same day.  I was leaving for vacation the next day, so my Dr. got me in pretty quickly. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Me 36 DH 39

DD 3/29/12
                      BFP 6/4/14 ~ MMC 7/7/14 ~ D&C 7/15/14            
    BFP 11/28/14 ~ MMC  12/29/14    

TTCAL Siggy Challenge

• Options
    Thanks ladies! 
    Ooh I've been wanting to see the Other woman but I saw the rating was 28%. Maybe I'll watch it anyway :) 
    UPDATE: I finally miscarried last night at 10:30 PM. (3.5 days after my 2nd dose of misoprostol) 
    I'm mostly relieved that the wait is over. I guess the silver lining of waiting is that I had plenty of time to prepare myself for what was to come so when it happened I felt as prepared as one could be. 
    Question though, it's now about 14 hours after it happened, is it normal to still feel pretty crampy? My back is super sore still too. I see a doctor tomorrow but just wondering if that's anything to be concerned about. I have t3's still but do most people move to something a little more mild for cramps post miscarriage? 
    Again I will of course ask my doctor all of this tomorrow as well. Just curious what others experiences have been. 
    Thanks again for all your support. 
  • Options
    I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm glad the wait is over and you have some progress on it ((HUGS))

My back is still messed up 2.5 weeks after the Miso. I took vicodin, which I didn't realize the side effect it can have, so I don't know if the vicodin/constipation or the Miso/cramps caused the severe back pain. 

If you think you have passed everything then I would switch to whatever you normally take for cramps - midil/advil/aleve. You can't take them during the process as they counteract the Miso and stop the cramping which is what is making your body pass what needs to pass.

I highly recommend stretching as much as you can and heating pad to try and prevent any further back pains. I never had back issues before and know I can barely stand up straight after sitting in my office chair for a few hours :( it sucks!

Good vibes and T&P your way :D
    Me - 35 DH - 41
    TTC 06.03.2013 
    image     image
  • Options
    I didn't have much luck with the misoprostol (ended up with the D&C) but I did pass the sac and some tissue on my own.  And I think what helped was moving around.  I would lay in bed all day cramping and being sad and nothing would happen and then I'd get up to use the restroom and would have heavy bleeding.  Or I'd do some light housework, and would bleed more.  So I think your idea of taking a walk might be a good one. 
  • Options
    Thanks again ladies! The day after the miscarriage my cramping was soooo bad. (I have grown quite attached to my heating pad!!) But it seems to have come down a bit since then. My doctor ran an u/s and so far it seems I won't need a d&c. so that's good news. :) I'm just resting today and head back to work on Sunday. 
    I can't tell you how much I appreciate everyone here. Now that my own experience has finally unfolded, I will see if I can give back somehow by contributing some to other conversations. 
    Take care :) 

• Options
    @maryhr1‌ I hope the meds worked for you. T&P
    Me - 35 DH - 41
    TTC 06.03.2013 
    image     image
  • Options
    @marhyr1 The waiting is awful. :( I finally passed everything 3.5 days after my final dose of misoprostol. I had no idea it could take that much time. Please keep us posted. (*supportive)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"