Breastfeeding
Options

Hard Shells for Inverted Nipples

Hello Ladies,

This is my first time posting on this board. I am currently 32 weeks pregnant expecting my first child. I have been reading up about breastfeeding and realized I may have inverted or flat nipples. So when I saw my doctor today I asked and she said yep I am going to give you a prescription for hard shells. So I've been looking them up and I am not having any luck finding hard shells. The doctor said I could start using these shells now to help proactively. Does anyone know where I can find these? Are they prescription only? The doctor I saw today isn't my normal doctor and I will go back in two weeks to see my normal doctor.

Any advice or help is appreciated. I feel soo lost. TIA.
Me 29 DH 30 Unexplained IF TTC since wedding May 2012. IUI #1 11/5/13-BFN.  IUI #2 12/5/13-BFN. IUI #3-12/30/14. All three with Femara CD 3-7 and Ovidrel trigger. +HPT 1/13/14 First +ever!!! Beta #1 195 Beta #2 1/15-533. Ultrasound on 2/4 showed one bean. EDD 9/22/14. Team Green turned Team Blue-Baby Conner arrived on 9/19/14.

Re: Hard Shells for Inverted Nipples

• Options
    I'm sorry I can't answer your question but I wanted to let you know if you're going to be pumping at all it will help with this. My left nipple was inverted but since pumping it is completely corrected.

I've also heard you could "wear" nipple shields to help with this. I wonder if hard shells are something similar? Good luck!
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • Options
    Are you looking for these? My lc recommended them but just for sore nipples.

https://www.amazon.com/Medela-89930-Therashells-Breast-Shells/dp/B0006Q561G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Are you looking for these? My lc recommended them but just for sore nipples.

https://www.amazon.com/Medela-89930-Therashells-Breast-Shells/dp/B0006Q561G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Yep those are them. There are 2 attachments. 1 for sore nipples and the other for inverted nipples. The dome looking ones are for inverted nipples. I started using these at 36 weeks (doc didn't want me using them earlier due to potential contractions from the nipple stimulation). I Followed the directions but didn't use them religiously. Basically they didn't work for me. My baby is 11 weeks and I'm still using a nipple shield. My nipples were very inverted so you might have a better experience. The other attachment was great the first few days for sore nipples. I wore them in between every feeding in the hospital.
  • Options
    I used something similar by playlex. It has 2 different cup options. One with a vent for sore nipples and the other closed for collecting a few drops of milk on the other side while you nurse. (Gotta save every drop. It's liquid gold!)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"