September 2014 Moms

NBR (Sorta??) Gifts for 1y/o old.

So one of my close coworkers (and starting to be a good friend yay!) is throwing a BBQ for her baby girl's first birthday and of course I got an invite.  I don't have a lot of friends with babies, and I'm pretty much clueless on what would be an age appropriate gift for her little one. Anyone have suggestions?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: NBR (Sorta??) Gifts for 1y/o old.

• For a one year old, I'd probably go with an outfit, book, or some sort of nesting/stacking/sorting toy
    {Me:27, Dx:PCOS, LPD, & rob(14;15)}
    {DH:31 all clear, "super sperm"}
    Ecstatically married July 30, 2011--TTC since Jan 2013:::Baby #1 due 9/11, Conceived on cycle #5 of Femara + Hcg + IUI
    ~Love and Light to everyone~ 
    image image
    My furbabies--Mr. Bubbles and Miss Kitty <3
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

image image
  • I know when my DD turned 1, she had no idea what was going on and didn't really give a hoot about the toys.  I say go with clothes a size/season up.  Toddlers are messy little things and people kind of get over buying them outfits at this point.

Also, you can get some really cute clothes on Macy's/JC Penny/BRU clearance rack if you were looking for a cheaper option.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Books are always a safe bet! If you want to do a toy, chunky wooden puzzles, stacking toys, or push toys are always a hit with that age.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Wooden puzzles and cardboard books would be good for that age. Melissa and Doug (and probably other brands) have puzzles with different latches and matching flaps and pieces that kids always love and are good quality. I try to stay away from giving friends noisy toys (those are reserved for my cousins twins!) because you want to keep your friends and not receive the noise back in a couple of years! ;)
  • Absolutely a chunky wooden puzzle, first word picture books, blocks/stacking toys.

• At 1, some of the biggest hits (and toys that stayed popular in our house) were the Leapfrog picnic basket, a tea set (green toys makes a nice one), chunky puzzles, and Fisher Price little people sets.
    image        image
  • Ditto books, wooden blocks or Mega Bloks..my son got some around that age and still loves them at 2 1/2. Balls, a pull along toy, or shape sorter
    imageimage
  • I agree that books are a great gift.  My son also loves this and still plays with it (he just turned 2 yesterday).
    Big Brother Nolan 07.30.12
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1584769386/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1406815705&sr=8-1. This book is like bubble wrap that never ends. Each page has little bubbles to "pop" but when you turn the page it's back up again. There is also an old McDonald and an under the sea one. It's my go to gift for 1-3 year olds now.

Also the parents little drum that opens so you can put everything in for storage is a big hit

Ball popper toy
  • https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1584769386/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1406815705&sr=8-1. This book is like bubble wrap that never ends. Each page has little bubbles to "pop" but when you turn the page it's back up again. There is also an old McDonald and an under the sea one. It's my go to gift for 1-3 year olds now.

Also the parents little drum that opens so you can put everything in for storage is a big hit

Ball popper toy

Bubble wrap that never ends??? This is going on MY bday list.
    {Me:27, Dx:PCOS, LPD, & rob(14;15)}
    {DH:31 all clear, "super sperm"}
    Ecstatically married July 30, 2011--TTC since Jan 2013:::Baby #1 due 9/11, Conceived on cycle #5 of Femara + Hcg + IUI
    ~Love and Light to everyone~ 
    image image
    My furbabies--Mr. Bubbles and Miss Kitty <3
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

image image
  • Love those ideas!! I just gave someone magnetic pieces shaped like gears. Gives baby something to do while you're in the kitchen.

Off BC, NTNP since June 2011

Started acupuncture/herbs July 2012 

First BFP 9-8-2012,EDD 5-15-2013, heartbeat of 175 at 8w2d, mmc discovered on 10-26-12 (11w6d) Cytotec on 10/26/12

8/23/13 DX with non-IR PCOS

Second BFP 9.12.13, EDD 5.29.14, heartbeat of 114 at 6w1d, mmc discovered on 10-18-13, D&C on 10/23/13 (baby girl/Trisomy 10) 

Third BFP (surprise at Beta draw after d&c) on 1/10/14 (15dpo), EDD 9.20.14 Please be our RAINBOW!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I would suggest chunky wooden puzzles or blocks.  They never seem to get old!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My son got a lot of books and heavy puzzles which he loves. Bath toys are fun! Also, anything they can push and pull. We got our son a bubble mower for his birthday and he loved it!
  • I usually give books but for a one year old I give bath toys. It's something no one seems to think of but it totally age appropriate.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"