3rd Trimester

Positive Induction Stories?

FTM & I was due Friday (25th), when I went in for my appointment I was checked at 3.5 dilated & 90% effaced but I'm having no contractions/BH! & the little guy is just not dropping down, he's still high up. I've agree'd to an induction on the 30th, doctor was trying to push it a little sooner because my blood pressure has been bouncing up high throughout the last couple weeks. I'm on moderate bed rest until then which I know isn't helping him drop down any quicker.
I've done lots of induction research but friends only seem to have horror stories and inductions ending in c-sections. Please tell me if you mommas have any positive experiences?!

Re: Positive Induction Stories?

• I have a positive induction story in that it ended in a vaginal delivery and the pitocin did not hurt, but other parts did hurt. Every story is going to be different, but here's what I got for you...

I was admitted to my hospital at 5pm with leaking waters and started on an IV drip of pitocin and antibiotics. I was less than 1cm dilated. At 9am the next morning I was checked, barely 1cm. I was feeling good, pitocin had been running all night without any painful contractions. The machines told me I was having some though. Later that afternoon when I was STILL at 1cm I was balloon dilated (that hurt) and got an epi at 4pm because the contractions were finally hurting. The balloon got me to 4cm then I stalled out again until DS decided to flip over at 10pm (he had been sunny side up the whole time). I finished dilating and delivered him in less than 2 hours.

In hind sight I believe DS's position was the biggest factor is why it took so long, until he flipped over he was just not putting enough pressure on my cervix to get it to open up. There are so many variables that will affect what happens for you. It took 31 hours from the start of my induction to birth, but my OB was very supportive of my desire to have a vaginal birth and DS was never in distress so I was able to wait. But I would have done c-section if one had been necessary. Having a good relationship with your OB and being able to roll with the punches are the best two things to have going into any type of L&D situation. Good luck to you.
  • edited July 2014

I had an induction with my second.  It was great! 

We started the induction (an oxytocin drip) at 11:00am (ish).  I was not dilated at all at the time, but my cervix was soft enough that they said it was ok to induce (I was 41.5 weeks and my midwife didn't want to let me go any further).

They just stepped up the drugs every half hour until labour started to sustain itself.  My contractions didn't get painful until just after 2:00pm (I remember looking at the clock, because I didn't know how long I could last).  Baby was delivered at 3:15pm, just over an hour after the contractions got bad.

I did the entire delivery with no pain medication, aside from some laughing gas to help me from pushing while I dilated a little rim of cervix away.  Baby came out with six pushes, and didn't do any damage on the way (thank god, because my first one apparently wanted to make a statement when she got here).  :)

I know it sounds weird to say that my induction was great - but my first baby arrived on her own at 41 weeks, and came in about 4 hours.  They almost didn't have time to get the doctor into the delivery room before she got here, so I had a lot of anxiety about being a "side of the road" mom second time around.  Being able to go and get a coffee and make our way to the hospital in a relaxed state of mind made a big difference to me, because I knew baby would be here quickly once contractions got painful (and I didn't want to deliver at home).

ETA: Total time from start of induction to delivery was about 4 hours (!!)  :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monster Truck (It's a GIRL!) is due 19/02/2015!

BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I was in your exact situation. Near the end of my pregnancy I had developed high blood pressure and was constantly being monitored and giving the doctor's a scare. At 36 weeks I was 3cm dilated and 90% effaced and stayed that way until I was induced. At 39 weeks my doctor finally had enough with my blood pressure and decided it was best to induce. I went in at 8pm for my induction and my son was born and 11:39 the next morning . I can tell you that inductions are more painful. You don't get a break between contractions! Once I had my epidural I was fine and labor turned out to be an enjoyable and memorable experience. I would have gotten the epidural sooner but I was curious to see how labor really felt. I pushed for maybe 10 minutes. No complications at all.
  • I was induced at 39w3d due to chronic hypertension. Went to the hospital the night before Cytotec to ripen my cervix. I was about 1-2cm dilated and 75/80% effaced. By morning I was 2cm dilated and a bit more effaced, but not by much. My OB started pitocin at 7AM. I dilated to 4cm around noon, got the epidural in place and working by 1PM. By 2:45PM I was 8cm. I was complete sometime around 4, they let me labor down a bit, I started pushing at 4:30/4:40 or so, and delivered DS at 5:21PM.

The majority of inductions end in a vaginal delivery. If your blood pressure is labile and you're past due, baby is probably safer coming out now and an induction may actually reduce your risk of a C-section, based on new research that has been coming out over the last couple of years.
  • OAHMOMOAHMOM member
    My water broke with my DS at 39w but I wasn't contracting. I got to the hospital about 5:30am. I wasn't progressing and they started Pit at about 9:30. They kept upping the dose because I wasn't in any pain. Eventually things got painful, I got the epi and DS was born just an hour later. Pitocin wasn't as horrible for me as everyone told me it was. Additionally I did not have any other interventions (there was never a talk of forceps, vacuum or C-section). My entire labor (from when my water broke to delivery) was only 10 hours. I am confident that without Pitocin my labor would have been significantly longer. Good luck. Remember that no matter how your LO gets here - as long as he/she is healthy - that's what matters!

DS: Oliver 12/28/10
    DD: Alice 8/8/12

• Nicb13 said:

I was induced at 39 weeks with DS and my labor was great. Everything turned out wonderfully for me.

This.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Thanks so much mommas!
    I did a non stress baby test today and he's in no distress whatsoever, blood pressure still a lil high but not alarming high, so induction is still set for Wednesday and I feel much more relaxed with your shared stories :D thanks again!
  • I was induced my first pregnancy at 39+4 due to suspected IUGR. I wasn't dilated at all, so my OB used a Foley bulb to dilate me overnight and then broke my water and started Pitocin the next morning. Contractions were manageable until I got to 5 or 6 cm and then I broke down and got the epi. I hadn't slept well the night before so I rested for about 3 or 4 hours until I was fully dilated. I had a hard time pushing because I felt nothing, not even pressure, but after nearly 3 hours of pushing, he was out. I had minimal tearing, so I got a couple stitches. Very easy recovery.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was induced at 40w4days a couple days early due to BP rising. I wasn't dilated so she said we would start on cervadil then proceed to pitocin later probably at least 12 hours later. The cervadil did the trick and I dilated very quickly and had baby within 12 hours, no pitocin needed. She did break my water after a bit. It was not really painful or anything it was a great birth experience. I expected to be in labor over 24 hrs but it went much quicker. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have had two successful inductions. My first I had cervadil starting at 9:00 pm to thin out my cervix. I didn't sleep great that night but it wasn't painful. The next morning they broke my water around 6:00 and started pitocin. I had really painful contractions about a minute apart from 7:00 to 7:30. At 7:30 I got an epidural, and after the epidural I felt great. I pushed for about 45 minutes and gave birth at 11:47am. With my second induction I went in that morning. They broke my water and started pitocin at 7:00. I asked for an epidural when my contractions were just past mildly uncomfortable, and I gave birth at 10:52am. It was a very easy labor and delivery.
  • I don't have personal experience, but my sister was induced for both of her pregnancies. She had successful vaginal births both times. My BFF was also induced recently due to pre e. She also had a successful vaginal birth.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Lindsay & Nicholas

12/21/11

BabyFruit Ticker

• TheaRaeTheaRae member
    edited August 2014
    I was induced with my first because I was 90% effaced & @ a 6.5 with no contractions and my water hadn't broke, I was 37 weeks. After my CNM broke my water she offered pitocin & I declined... with in 15 minutes I was @ an 8 and stuck there for 2 hours after immense pain and contractions I opted for an epurduial took a 45 minute nap and pushed her out it 15 minutes it was a great experience and I'am praying this pregnancy is similar.... Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"