Pregnant after 35
Options

Coffee Yes or No?

Hi All, what are your thoughts on coffee particularly for those of 'AMA'? It seems that every day there is a new study about how much caffeine is safe during pregnancy...some say 1 cup or no more than 200 mg of caffeine per day is ok. I have been craving my CaCafe Coconut Mocha Coffee like crazy so I wanted to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Re: Coffee Yes or No?

• Options
    I am pgal, so I was really cautious throughout the first trimester and didn't drink any coffee/caffeine - not even decaf. By second tri, I was drinking one cup of decaf a day (which has about 1/3 the caffeine of regular). Third tri, I have been drinking one small cup of regular. 

Interesting to note that I was admitted to L&D for two days at around 33 weeks for unexplained vaginal bleeding. I specifically asked if I could have regular coffee while there, and the docs all said it was fine. 

Moderation seems to be key, according to the research. 

CafeMom Tickers

January PAL siggie challenge; Good advice:

• Options

With my first baby, I cut down from 4-5 caffeinated drinks per day (pre-pregnancy) to none. Honestly, it wasn't because I couldn't have it. It was because I felt too sick. Once I started feeling better, I had 1-2 per day, but still tried to stay below the 200mg limit. I used an online chart which outlined caffeine content per drink. For example, Starbucks has a higher caffeine content than other brands. Here is a chart similar to the one I used:

https://www.caffeineinformer.com/the-caffeine-database

And don't forget about the caffeine in chocolate either.

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @2redtulips I am PgAL as well so I am being super cautious too and moderation was what I have been reading as well. 

@mattandlora - thanks for the reminder about the caffeine in chocolate. 

Guess I will stick to just one cup of the regular coconut coffee. I love this coffee because it has coconut already added to it so you just add water and whatever sweetener you want to use (I use honey) - no creamer necessary and it has good healthy fats already in it :)

• Options
    I went through a period of time with both pregnancies where I didn't really want coffee.  I started drinking a cup per day of regular once I was feeling better.  I brew my own cold press b/c I love iced coffee during the summer and figured that I could control the amount of caffiene if I made and poured my own (I'm super tempted to order the biggest size if I go into a coffee shop). 

It's part of my morning routine and I have a hard time functioning without a cup!  My first son is just fine- a little busy, but totally healthy and has hit all of his milestones on time or early.  He does ask to drink coffee, but I think that is bc he sees me drinking it and not because he likes it. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I love coffee and struggle quite a bit in the mornings without it.  I also think that in moderation, coffee has health benefits to adults that outweigh the costs (protection against certain cancers, improved brain health etc).

While pregnant, I am only allowing myself a small piece of dark chocolate everyday, and a cup of decaf coffee once or twice a week.  Docs seem to go with the <200mg rule.  But this study done on spiders decades ago left a big impression on me:

(see pics at the bottom) - I couldn't find the quantities of caffeine they were using, but the study was done twice by different groups.  And so, as much as I love coffee (and tea!), I am staying away.
  • Options
    leela02leela02 member
    edited August 2014
    I drank the most caffeine in the first trimester (I didn't know I was pregnant until 8 weeks, & I wasn't expecting to conceive), usually a Coke or a frappuccino about every day. I still wouldn't have exceeded the 200mg caffeine cutoff. Also, Coke was the only thing that helped my nausea. I cut back a little in the 2nd trimester to half a can of caffeinated soda on workdays and coffee only 1-2x a week. This was just to help me stay alert at work. Now in my 3rd trimester I'll have a caffeinated drink occasionally if I get a craving, about once a week on average. I'm not working anymore so when I start feeling braindead I can just lie down lol.
  • Options
    Most chocolate has really negligible amounts of caffeine. I say enjoy some chocolate for sure!

CafeMom Tickers

January PAL siggie challenge; Good advice:

• Options
    I drink it if I am fatigued at work. I stayed away from it otherwise, unless I have to stay awake. Now in 2nd tri. I'll probably do the same. If I need it, it's there and more effective since it is rare these days :-)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I heard back from the company that makes my coconut coffee and they assured me that there is 140mg per serving. I only have one cup a day so that makes me happy and relieved  :)

I have had such horrible insomnia that I don't think I can get though the day without just the one cup. I tried today and had my teeccino coffee alternative this morning and about fell asleep at my desk! I am sure there will come a point where I don't want it right now I do...my last pregnancy all I craved was starbucks chai lattes!! 

Thanks to all for the input!
  • Options
    @leela02 - I thought I was the only one whose nausea felt better with Coke! To be exact, room-temp diet coke helps the most. 

Note to everyone: Infants born as premature as 23 weeks receive caffeine in the NICU to help stimulate breathing. Caffeine in moderation after 23 weeks should be totally fine. 

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• Options
    I have to drink caffeine to keep Bp up...so no help other than dr says 200 mg a day is fine!
    ***ticker warning*** DS 3/27/12 born 6 weeks early....my perfect boy !! Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers [url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://lb1f.lilypie.com/z5R8p1.png[/img][/url] image<a href="http://www.thebump.com/?
  • Options
    I drink fewer coffees and wine, but that's the only change I've made. If it works for the French mamas, it works for me. It is no good for pregnant women to make themselves guilty or stressed. Better to have tranquil, pleasant pregnancy.

Idk what that coconut coffee is, but it sounds wonderful.
  • Options
    @1isaad coconut coffee is an instant coffee mix that is just coffee & ground coconut - no need for creamer, just add hot water & your favorite sweetener (I use honey) www.cacafe.com. I first tried it at costco when they were giving away samples & bought a jar but unfortunately it's not sold there so I get it from amazon. I don't taste the coconut in it at all, it's just like adding coconut milk to coffee - you get all the healthy fats from the coconut but don't have to worry about using a can of coconut before it goes bad. There is 140 mg of caffeine per cup so I feel ok having just a single cup.
  • Options
    I cut back when I found out at 5 weeks but I sm a bit of an addict. I would drink 4-5 cups easy. I started with two one in am and one in pm then cut back to 1/2 cup in am and 1/2 cup in pm. I drink a cup now only when I really need it. I was never much of pop/soda drinker other than vernors or root beer which are both caffeine free. I believe a cup or two a day is fine.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am ordering that COconut Mocha right now OMG sounds amazeballs!
  • Options
    I keep it to 200 mg of caffeine a day.  Last pregnancy I was way to sick to drink coffee, but would have 1 Diet Coke a day to tide me over.  I'm not a huge caffeine drinker, so it wasn't that hard.   But I did get a bad headache w/o of bit of caffeine each day.  Not worth it.  Everything in moderation. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have one iced coffee in the am and an occasional diet coke. I was too sick in the beginning to drink either but that's what I am doing second tri. I think a little is ok.

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Coffee = YES! Had it every day while prego and BFing my 1st and doing the same this time. Nothing wring with that. IF you're super worried then stay under the recommended 200mg per day. I wasn't so worried myself. No need to torture yourself if you need it to function. I know I do.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"