Toddlers: 24 Months+

Neglect At Daycare

I am so mad right now.  My DS is 2.  He stayed at home with my husband until his 2nd birthday, at which time we decided we were ready to put him into daycare and both of us work full time. (my son still doesn't talk, speech delay)- so we were very worried of course.  We did our walk through, met the director, checked out the place and got a list of all of the rules, regulations, etc.  What to expect from them, what to expect from us.

So, first day comes and we called twice to check on him.  Both times, the teacher (sounding very frustrated) said.. well, he's been crying all day and won't eat much.. but that is to be expected, its his first day.  It will be ok.. I promise.  So we dropped him off at 730 am and picked him up at 515pm.  Note, when we walked in, my son was crying and had puffy eyes as if he'd been crying all day and he was immedaitely ready to GTH out of there.  So, we talked to the teacher, and she verified that he was "starting to get a rash" exact words.. he was "starting" to get a rash.. and she had to put A & D ointment on him, which was already breaking the rules of the contract.  Luckily, my son isnt allergic to A & D.  So, we get home and I go to change his diaper and I am crying my eyes out.. my baby had SEVERE .. like 2nd degree friction burns on the inside of his thights from basically chafing.  So, we called the daycare to try and get an explanation but the teacher was out and the director said she would have to ask and they'd call us the next day.  The next day, we ahd to take him to the dr.  The rash had become scabbed and blistered and he had to get steroid/burn cream and the dr was even in shock of how bad the rash was.  He verified.. rash was from being outside in the heat in a very wet diaper.  So, I had a friend who said.. hey Jenn, you need to count your diapers (since we had to supply our own diapers, creams, pillows, clothes etc) - Needless to say, we stopped by the daycare and picked up his stuff and showed them pictures and said.. we will not be back and we want a refund.  Refund granted, no issues, no arguments they apologized, but found out the director never reported it.

so I called the licensing phone number to verify that my son had an injury at daycare.  We emailed them a picture and they immediately were like, contact CPS right away.  I called and sent them pictures and it was escalated to a supervisor.  His rash was unreal at this point.. like he'd been lit on fire between his legs literally. So, cps had to meet with my husband and I and had to meet with the daycare.

We called today to verify (as its been 3 weeks and I've heard by rumors that the teacher is still actively working there) - that CPS deemed this to be an "unfortunate coincidence" .. Are you kidding me?  We counted diapers, he was changed 2 times in 9 hours, they used ointment on him which was against their licensing regulations, we weren't informed of his rash - again against regulations and it was a coincidence based on the percentage of kids that were happy and healthy, and my 1 child who was neglected!  I am so furious.

Has anyone had any similar problems?  What do  do?  I want the preschool teacher fired or at least moved to a different age group.  If you cannot change diapers and cannot follow regulations.  What if my son had died? then would it be an unfortunate coincidence?

Needless to say, wont trust another daycare

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Neglect At Daycare

• I am sorry that you are going through this. I hope your son is getting better. I don't have any advice regarding following up on disciplinary action against the teacher.

I will say that my son switched daycares at age 2, and he had a difficult transition. He came home one day wearing the same diaper he was wearing that morning. I was very upset. The next morning, I discussed it with his teachers. They were concerned because he refused to drink or eat, so his diaper was dry all day. It was a stressful situation, and we worked together to help him adjust.

He has happily attended this same daycare for the past 3 years, and all my concerns have been taken seriously. There are many wonderful daycares out there.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • I have nothing to add to help, but I would be livid!!! My heart aches for your lo!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • yeah.yeah. member
    I'm sorry your son had such a hard time at daycare and you're right to pull him out of a daycare where you don't feel comfortable.

Couple of things though:

- most kids have some trouble adjusting to daycare, especially if they've been home. Mine both did - it took them a few days to stop crying there. Now they love it.

- 2 diaper changes in 9 hours isn't unusual for a 2 year old, IMO. Mine only pees every 4-5 hours so we were going through only 4 diapers in a normal day at that point. 

- one daycare shouldn't turn you off of all daycares.

I hope you figure out something that will work for you, and that your son is feeling better.
  • I'm sorry you had such a tough first experience with daycare. I'm confused though.. is the whole diaper ointment thing against your personal parenting wishes or are you just using that because it's against their regulations? The thing is that I don't think anyone would put diaper ointment on a child to harm him.. they were probably trying to help. And the good intention is not something I think anyone should be fired over. I agree that two changes in 9 hours isn't terrible.That could be how the daily routine with most of the current children is, and with it being your sons first day they may not have known how often he needs to be changed (obviously more outside on a hot day) or how his skin reacts.
  • That sounds like a terrible situation!  But I wouldn't let it turn you off to daycare forever if daycare is what works best for your family right now.  I promise, they are not all like that.
    This....you can't let one incident change your whole view on daycare in general.  There are lots of great daycares out there.  Maybe an in-home daycare would be a better option...less kids and more individualized attention. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited July 2014
    I would suggest a daycare that provides detailed reporting on diaper changes. My son is at a Montessori, naeyce accredited center that documents each time my son is checked and changed. I can see by looking at the paper that maybe he was only changed 3 times but he was checked each hour.

also I would make sure you talk with the teacher before you start (not the director) about when you expect to be called and when you don't. Some parents only want calls when their kid has an issue that requires mandatory pick ups (ex fever, vomiting twice) but you can talk to the teacher and let her know that if your kid gets a bad rash or cries for 4 hours or whatever you want to be called.

finally! you need to expect a rough transition just bc of the age of your child, even if the center is awesome.

I'm sorry you went through such a rough time, though. That is very unfortunate.

\image  image

• Justabean3Justabean3 member
    edited July 2014
    @yeah.‌ I don't think she means they were trying to hurt the child with the ointment but it's against their policy to use it

For example with one of my children diaper ointment is a huge issue because of allergies. You can't give or put anything on them without written consent or it being brought with them most places

(Mine are in private home sitter, for this reason though... DS #1 has all sorts of random allergies)
  • We had trouble at two different daycares with my boys. You did what you needed to do. You pulled him out. You got him help and you called the authorities. It's no fun talking to CPS and all that, but it might help someone else's child. 
    With all the trouble, we have finally found a daycare that we love. You've learned something from this and can take that with you as you look for the next place. 
  • I completely understand why you were upset. At this point, you have to find a way to let it go and let yourself move forward. You've reported it to all the proper channels, and that's really all you can do. Let yourself find some peace and try to find a situation that's better for your family. We as moms are always emotional when putting our children in daycare - no one can take care of our little ones as well as we can! It's hard, but you have to let go of the bad feelings. Hugs!
  • Hey there, the diaper ointment wasn't my concern.  I'm glad she put something on him, but it was against the regulations of the daycare.  The diaper changes, the regulation is to change every 2 hours.. whether wet or not.   I think her neglect wasn't so much of what happened, but the fact that she didnt call my husband or I to say,hey.. your child, we came in fromt outside and his legs look very burnt and painful.  It was like she covered it up.

My son starts a daycare school that is part time on August 18, I think it will be a much smoother transition and the preschool is focused more on art and projects, versus playing outside.  The daycare I went to reminded me of a baby factory, there were just children running wild everywhere. LOL  

we've moved past it, but come to find out that there was just nothing that was done.  Nothing.  I just hope another child doesn't have to go through what we went through.  It's scary.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Ttimmerman, I thought the same thing.. like how could he get a rash from one wet diaper?  when he left that morning, he had nothing wrong with him..nothing not any rash ..  we didnt switch diapers, we didnt switch any detergents.. honestly, by looking at it, it looked as if he sat on something hot and it burnt his legs.. because even his privates weren't really rashed, just the legs.  We took him to the dr who verified it was from being outside in the heat with a wet diaper? I still dont understand it either..
  • Is there a chance they used some other diaper on him and he got a reaction? Sounds like they didn't follow protocols anyways...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"