Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

CIO...Again(????)....@16 Mths....Yay or Nay??????

DD is almost 16mth. We did cry it out at about 11 mths and it worked great. She would usually wake up find her bink and pass back out, then wake up around 530am looking for me. I would let her come in our bed (big mistake i'm realizing now)  at that time cause i liked a little snuggle time with her and would get up for work around 630am anyway so that hour that we would lay/fall back asleep together was nice. Now she goes down in her bed around 730-830 and is cool with that but by 10pm shes crying and wont go back til i come in and lay her back down, locate her bink for her and console her for a minute. Then by midnight she is a crying mess and is inconsolable until i pick her up and let her sleep with us! If i don't she will cry and cry and i have to get up for work so i cave and let her come in our bed. Well i can't take it anymore as now me and dh are not getting good sleep and we want to start trying for baby #2 so we need to get this under control. Do you ladies have any experience with reintroducing CIO again? It worked so well the first time but i feel it is going to be horrible this time!?!?!? Any tips would help :)

Re: CIO...Again(????)....@16 Mths....Yay or Nay??????

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Consistency is key. We did CIO at six months and have had little blips here and there (including one recently at 16m) but they never came close to what it was before he was "sleep trained". 

To each his own, but I know once I stopped letting DS in our bed, it made a huge difference. I think he would just cry and cry because ultimately, that was his end goal. Once he knew all i was going to do was pop in and check on him, the crying subsided pretty quickly.

DS also has 5-6 pacifiers in his crib at one time that really help. Definitely excessive, but it's his one habit I'm not willing to break at this point.

Little T Born 2/26/13
    TTC #2 since August 2014
    BFP #2: 4/15/15 * EDD: 12/19/15 * MMC: 5/7/15
    BFP #3: 7/23/15 * EDD: 3/29/16

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I actually think your LO is overtired and that is why she is waking and crying for you to help her fall back asleep because she can't and she's frustrated by it. (same way we "can't sleep" when we start running on adrenaline due to lack of sleep) You know she can fall asleep independently and suddenly she isn't. When this happens for us I know my LO is overtired.  I put him to bed early for a few weeks (and by early that is sometimes 6pm for us if he's cranky and/or the PM nap wasn't good). And then you need to be 100% consistent no matter what approach you use.  And stop bringing her to bed too, in the morning. As tired as you are, respond the same way you do at bedtime or middle of the night. It will probably be a rough few days but I assure you it will get easier. Try it for a few weeks and don't give up half way through.  Try like a 7-730 bedtime or even earlier if her day sleep sucked. Good luck! 

• Options
    We've had to do this lately (DD will be 16 months on Aug 1).  The past couple of nights she will get sleepy in my arms but as soon as I put her down all hell breaks loose.  The longest it took for her to CIO and fall asleep was about 20 minutes two nights ago.  Last night was about 15 minutes.  She's tired, she just doesn't want to be put in her crib by herself.  I'm confident we'll get out of this soon - I think we're in a wonder week because her appetite has been weird (one day ravenous, the next day doesn't want anything).  Good luck!
  • Options

Thanks ladies! I'm sticking to my guns tonight and not letting her in my bed. Do you guys use a night light in dd/ds room?

• Options
    dkny155 said:
    DD is almost 16mth. We did cry it out at about 11 mths and it worked great. She would usually wake up find her bink and pass back out, then wake up around 530am looking for me. I would let her come in our bed (big mistake i'm realizing now)  at that time cause i liked a little snuggle time with her and would get up for work around 630am anyway so that hour that we would lay/fall back asleep together was nice. Now she goes down in her bed around 730-830 and is cool with that but by 10pm shes crying and wont go back til i come in and lay her back down, locate her bink for her and console her for a minute. Then by midnight she is a crying mess and is inconsolable until i pick her up and let her sleep with us! If i don't she will cry and cry and i have to get up for work so i cave and let her come in our bed. Well i can't take it anymore as now me and dh are not getting good sleep and we want to start trying for baby #2 so we need to get this under control. Do you ladies have any experience with reintroducing CIO again? It worked so well the first time but i feel it is going to be horrible this time!?!?!? Any tips would help :)
    Let me know how it goes.  We successfully did Ferber at 5 months and had to redo it at 11 months.  Mostly successful anyway, usually one time per night after DD's first sleep cycle he would wake up and sit up and just requiring going in one time and laying him back down.  But at 15 months it all went to hell.  Started off where he would not go back to sleep in his crib after the first sleep cycle and now where he will not go to sleep there at all, cries as soon as he is put in the crib.  Last week I tried to redo CIO, but in attempting it 3 nights in a row, he threw up in his crib each time.  And I am not talking about crying for 20-30 minutes and throwing up, I am talking like 3-4 minutes in.   DW won't let me continue after he throws up or try again, for now.
  • Options
    I would suggest coming up with an iron-clad sleep plan going forward, and both you and your partner absolutely sticking to your guns.  if you aren't consistent, it encourages crying because LO knows that if they cry long and hard enough they eventually get to come to your bed.

We did CIO super successfully (like it took one night) around 6 months, and then pretty consistently have relapses whenever LO is sick or teething, such that she'll cry in the middle of the night when she used to roll over and put herself back down.  We have been going in and doing pick-up-put-downs so that she calms down, but still is encouraged to go back to sleep on her own.  After a few days, she stops crying at night and goes back to sleeping through.

I think you might have a rough few days getting LO readjusted to staying in the crib, but then once they learn your bed is no longer an option, things should go back to normal.  I would do it over a weekend so you are more likely to be consistent and not cave.

Good luck!

• Options
    It worked!! Dd is sleeping in her own bed, through the night, no crying!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"