May 2014 Moms

Help! Bottle refusal

I know this has been covered some but I am in desperate need of help. LO took a bottle like a champ from 3 weeks until 8-9 weeks. Then suddenly she won't have any part of it. We've tried all the suggestions I've read so far.(Different bottles, nipples, droppers, shot glasses, sippy cups, me leaving, me home, riding in the car) DH tried for over an hour one day. I think she is now frustrated with it. Now she cries the minute she even sees the bottle. We start DC next week and I feel stressed about what is going to happen. Any advice or suggestions?

Re: Help! Bottle refusal

• DD wouldn't take a bottle from DH yesterday while he was holding her. She finally took it only after he set her in the Rock N Play.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• No advice, just my sympathy. I posted the same a couple days ago. My daughter has continued to refuse/limit bottles at daycare. She only ate 2oz in 9 hrs today. Has been eating a ton since we got home. I think if you've tried all of the normal suggestions there isn't much you can do. I also posted my situation on my city's le leche league fb page and got a lot of comments back but no different suggestions than the things you've tried. I am just praying she'll give in soon:/

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • This has been my life since going back to work two weeks ago. It is very frustrating and distressing, so I'm sorry you're going through it. I work 12 hour shifts, and DD has gone a couple of days where she didn't eat for over 14 hours. She is finally taking some from the sitter-- keep in mind that the daycare people may have more success than you guys do, since LO will be in a new environment, and they probably have a lot of experience with this. I don't have any suggestions beyond what you've tried, just wanted to let you know that it will probably get better, even though it's really stressful now.  ((Hugs))

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thank you for the support ladies. My SIL was able to get her to take an ounce in 5 hours today while walking around outside. (LO loves being outside) That made me feel a little better. Although that meant fewer wet diapers which gave me another stressor. It's a start though.
  • Update!! Daycare just called and said my daughter has been sucking down her bottles. So overnight, no magic trick she just decided to eat. Hopefully this sticks. Just wanted to share there is hope of a turnaround!! She has been in daycare total four half dAys and on her third full day. Good luck!

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • That's such great news!!!
  • That's great news! Mine won't take a bottle either and it's frustrating! I think she just likes all the other stuff that comes with nursing. I dunno!

• It's like you're in my head. We are having the same problem. I'm glad she's taking it now though!!
  • Ours has the same problem. Yesterday she took two bottles! I put the nipple up to the top of her mouth where she would latch onto the real one and she fussed and fussed but then closed her lips around it and started eating. She didn't take the full bottle but at least got some milk. Maybe this trick was obvious but hope it helps
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"