Stay at Home Moms

PPD or SAHM Adjustment?

Sometimes when I think about a day ahead and don't have any activity or visitors planned, I get really anxious and don't know what to do with myself/DS. I am getting kind of bummed out but am not sure if this is late onset PPD (DS is 4 months) or just needing more adult interaction? Now that it is colder out I am finding it easier to just stay in and not go out. I feel like I have to make things up to do just to force myself to leave the house, even if it's just to return something to the library. I can't deal with the thought of hours on end at home alone with DS! I don't know what to do to fill our time!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: PPD or SAHM Adjustment?

• Maybe you need to set yourself a schedule in terms of housework. At least then you know there's something to do the next day, even if it's just laundry.

Are you happy being a SAHM? It's not cut out for everyone, and some women are happier when they either volunteer outside of the home, or get a PT job.

Hawaii
  • I definitely do better when I have a to do list, even if it's little stuff.  I get immense satisfaction from crossing things off the list! 

Do you take DC to a playgroup or Mommy & Me type class?  That has been a lifesaver for me, as well as a great place to make new mommy friends since none of my pre-baby friends have kids.

GL!

• Loading the player...
  • Right around 4 months was when I had major PPD issues with DS.  I had just officially decided to not go back to work and I was a mess.  It really helped for me to talk to someone about it, and to start planning out my days more.  I joined a mom's group, got out of the house, went for walks everyday (although much easier since it was summer), etc.  Once DS started interacting with me more, it got much easier too.  I also started to babysit a little boy 6 months older than DS twice a week. 
  • I felt the same way when I became  SAHM (DD was 14 months old).  But it really does help if you have a schedule or list of chores around the house to do.  If it were just me & a baby, I would have story time & music time, etc.  I hate going out too, it's been so cold here in MN, so I feel for you especially with an infant! Some days you just have to have the tv/radio on all day to hear another voice in the house.  As your child grows up, he will be more interactive with you & before you know it, the day will be gone & you will wonder what you did all day! I might just mention it to your dr, though, see what they think.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Everyone has their own view on this but IMO....if you are suspecting PPD go see a professional- doctor, your OB, nurse....don't wait.  I waited until DS was 7 months old and shouldn't have....I never had mental health issues before so I thought I could "fight through it" on my own...I could not...it was more anxiety than anything...but it kept getting worse.  Now this is just my experience...everyone is different. I hope that you start to feel better...whether you get help or not...your son needs a happy and healthy mommy!!  That is a priceless gift you can give him!!

HTH

• IMHO, it might just be some "delayed adjustment".  Those first few months are so tough and time-consuming, it might be that now you find yourself with more time on your hands since you've worked out something of a rhythm.

I make myself get out of the house every day, too... sometimes just inventing an errand like you have done.  And it was easier to get out each day when the weather was nicer - at least we could go for a walk or something.

I don't really have any suggestions for you, I just wanted to tell you that I'm in the same boat.

• Hi and welcome!

Totally NOT a medical professional here so, I can't really say whether or not I think you have PPD but I think it couldn't hurt for you to make an appointment with your Ob/Gyn just to discuss your feelings.  ;)  I know having friends who were exactly like me: first time SAHMs with children Emily's exact age (it was a group put together here locally through our hospital) SAVED me from so many days of boredom, isolation and an overall feeling of "blah".  Being able to talk about what I was feeling and sharing with others going through it, too made all the difference in the world to me!  Newborns-Infants are so demanding: the constant feeding, holding, changing, burping, etc. and I remember when Emily came around that 3 1/2 month corner, I too had all this almost "free" time because she was sleeping longer stretches and wasn't attached to me all day long. ha!  It really helped me to put myself on a schedule of cleaning, email, bills, calling friends, going on walks, meeting up with my group/friends, having lunch with DH and other friends, etc., etc. and I took Emily to places where most moms don't go until they have toddlers like museums and library story times because I WANTED and NEEDEd the interaction with other moms!  Plus, their advice was invaluable to me, having already been through what I was experiencing.  :)

Very best of luck!

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"