Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

D&C or Natural Miscarriage?

Did you have a D&C or natural miscarriage? I am scheduled for a D&C next week and I really want to have it so I can just be done with this and start healing (physically and emotionally). I have a cough and am worried they won't allow me to have my procedure because you have to go under. This sucks and is really stressful. If you did miscarry  naturally...how long did it take from when you found out your babies heart stopped?

Re: D&C or Natural Miscarriage?

• With my first loss It was discovered at 10 weeks, but the baby had passed at 8 weeks. I naturally miscarried a week and a half later.
  • ** siggy warning**

I did not naturally miscarry but it was discovered my baby stopped growing at 5-6 weeks when I was 8 weeks pregnant. I started bleeding that week, I bled for 3 weeks before having a d&c. The wait was partly them double/triple checking LO had stopped growing, and then waiting for referrals for the d&c. I had my d&c when I should have been 11 weeks. I am now 2 weeks post d&c and still bleeding, so in total that is 5 weeks for me and counting.

So for me, from time baby had stopped growing to time of d&c was 5-6 weeks.

BFP #1 05/03/12 DD: 12/18/12
    BFP #2 05/26/14 MMC: 6/26/14 D&C: 7/18/14
    BFP #3 10/09/14 MC 10/24/14

• Loading the player...
  • I had a d&c. The baby had stopped growing at 6wks and I'm not sure when the heart stopped beating. At initial appt when they said the baby was only measuring in at 6wks as opposed to 8wks there was a heart beat (low but still there) and 2wks later said that the baby had not grown and the heart beat had stopped. Not sure when the baby died exactly but my body was not showing any signs of miscarrying naturally and I just wanted it to be over with. It was hard enough walking around knowing that my baby was dead for almost 3 days before my d&c I couldn't imagine having to do it longer.
  • farniegalfarniegal member
    edited August 2014
    I did not miscarry naturally or have a d&c, I was prescribed misoprotol to make my body miscarry. I was under 8 weeks, so my doctor and I decided the meds were the best option for me.

I'm so sorry for your loss. T&P
    Me - 35 DH - 41
    TTC 06.03.2013 
    BFP 06.15.2014  EDD 02.25.2015  MMC 07.07.2014 Miso 07.18.2014 
                                                                 August TTCAL Siggy Challenge : WTF Tattoos
    image     image
  • Both of mine were natural- the first one started in the middle of the night and by the time my OB could get me in, my body had done all the work. This last time, it happened over the weekend and I didn't even bother to call the OB (long story short, they were awful last time and I didn't want to deal with that again).

I am sorry for your loss and wish you a speedy physical recovery.

BFP #1 12/02/11, M/C 12/08/11
    BFP #2 04/06/12, DD born 12/20/12
    BFP #3 06/09/14, M/C 06/15/14

• I've had it happen both ways. With my first loss, we had a good US at 8 weeks, then at 11.5 weeks second US showed no heartbeat and growth had stopped at 9 weeks. My body showed no signs of miscarrying naturally, so I had a D&E the same day - I couldn't stand the thought of being pregnant-but-not-pregnant until my body figured it out. For me, the procedure went quickly with no problems. I had very little pain after (managed with ibuprofin only) and no bleeding until day 3 when I suddenly had cramps and heavy bleeding that lasted about 1-2 days. That was it. 

With my second loss, I miscarried naturally. At 6 weeks, I started spotting over the weekend and had terrible lower back pain, so went to the OB on Monday. They ordered betas which came back at 22, and US showed no sign of a baby. Trying to be positive, they guessed my dates were off and I was earlier than we thought.

Tuesday night I woke up to heavy bleeding and cramps. I basically had a heavy period - mine are heavy anyway and this was worse for the first few days then settled down. By the end of that week, my betas were back in the negative range. 

Having been through both, I have to say I prefer the D&E. Those few days of waiting and being in limbo between hope and grief was awful. 
    TTC since 8/13 
    BFP #1 - 1/15/14  MMC/D&C 3/6/14
    BFP #2 - 6/29/14 - on our first wedding anniversary! NMC 7/8/14
    BFP #3 - 2/11/15 - Also found out I have MTHFR deficiency - taking Foltx for more folic acid!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My answer is really in my siggy but I had a missed miscarriage that was found at almost 9 weeks when no heartbeat was found. After confirming it the following week, I tried cytotec on three different occasions before weeks after that having to have an in-office D&C for retained to tissue. Everyone has their own opinion on the subject, but in the end, the only answer is the one that you find right for you as everyone is different.

Life is a balance of holding on and letting go.

BFP #1 05/19/14, EDD 01/19/15, MMC 06/12/14 

BFP #2 10/10/14, EDD 06/19/15

• We found out at 10w2d that baby stopped growing and no heartbeat since 6w5d. I am now 12w0d and still waiting to mc naturally. I am so scared of taking the pills or d and c. But it has been extremely tough emotionally waiting.
    Me-22 DH-32
    Married- 07.06.13
    BFP- 06.06.14 EDD- 02.15.15
     Confirmed missed MC- 07.22.14 
                                           Miso x 4, Finally D&C- 08.29.14                                         

• I had my D&C on Friday. Found out on Wednesday that there was no heartbeat and baby was measuring a week behind. I was scared of the procedure, but wanted everything over & done with as soon as possible. Besides, waiting for a natural miscarriage is no guarantee -- many women who wait still need a D&C or other intervention, anyway. My mother had a missed miscarriage at 6 months nearly 30 years ago. They made her wait a whole month before intervening. I can not imagine going that long in limbo, never knowing when or if the process was going to start... In the end, they had to intervene medically anyway. The decision of how to handle this situation is very personal, but for the reasons I mentioned, the decision was clear to me. I was terrified of the procedure, but it really wasn't that bad. I am two days out and glad I went the way I did.

*************Siggy Warning. Loss mentioned.************

Me: 36, DH:37

Married 4/2010, TTC since 7/2011

Dx: Officially Unexplained (I have Polycystic Ovaries diagnosed via ultrasound, but few classic PCOS symptoms, he has mild MF issues. So... not issue free, but nothing so severe as to explain IF)

I also deal with post-surgical Hypothyroidism following Thyroid Cancer in 2009, but under control with Levothyroxine

4 months Clomid (thinned lining) and 10 months Letrozole (every indication that I responded perfectly)

6 failed IUIs in 2013, 3 with trigger

IVF #1 in March 2014

ER 3/21/14, 31R/21F, 12 frosties!

ET 3/26/14, 1 perfect blast transferred: BFN

FET#1 5/28/14, 2 "beautiful" early blasts transferred. BFP!!

Beta #1 (6/11/14) 798; Beta #2 (6/18/14) 7,966.

1st u/s (6/25/14) showed 2 sacs, 1 empty & 1 with a beautiful little bean doing what it needs to do!

EDD 2/14/15, missed miscarriage, DX: Trisomy 21. D&C 8/1/14

FET#2 Transferred 3 embies, 2 looking pretty good, one not so much. BFN.

IVF#2 January 2015, tentative ER 1/23

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"