November 2014 Moms

Talk to me about blankets/swaddles/sleep sacks

I'm not sure if my mind is on overload or if I'm really this clueless haha!

So, nothing in the crib. Got that. This includes blankets right?

And swaddles--if a baby is swaddled, can you place a blanket over them? Lucies list talks about doing this until baby is 4-5mos, that's why I'm confused.

Does A&A make winter swaddles? All I can find are the thin muslin summer ones & that's not going to work for me during winter.

Sleep sacks seem soooo big at this point. Same with the sleep gowns(open at the feet) usually sized 0-9mos. How is all that extra fabric safe but a blanket isn't?

BFP#4 3/17/14 - rainbow Baby BOY arrived 11/10/14 !!

DX: Uterine Septum - Resection 9/5/13 || MTHFR Hetero A1298C || My Chart

image    image

Re: Talk to me about blankets/swaddles/sleep sacks

• There are sleep sacks that have built in swaddles - the swaddle part velcros over the baby.  I am getting some of them and some normal sleep sacks (with free arms).

I have some swaddle blankets but I don't anticipate putting baby in the crib with them, that's what I'll use the sleep sacks for.  I would not put a sleep sack/swaddle AND blanket in the crib. 

• @KUinCBUS so, under the swaddle you just put them in a regular sleeper? 
    Good question OP I've been a little lost in this area too.  
    Anniversary: 10/10/09
    DS: 11/21/14
    DD: 7/5/16

• Loading the player...
  • jac409jac409 member
    I used Swaddle Me sleep sacks like these until DD grew out of the smallest size: https://www.buybuybaby.com/store/product/swaddleme-reg-3-pack-small-medium-adjustable-infant-wrap-by-summer-infant-in-bees/1040013732?Keyword=Swaddle+me Then we switched to a sleep sack with the built in swaddle, then just a plain sleep sack. I would not recommend a blanket over the swaddle. There should be no loose blankets in the crib until after they are a year old. With a onesie, pajamas and the swaddle me or sleep sack, my DD was plenty warm. You actually want to be careful not to overheat them, if anything.
  • Both my boys loved the Velcro swaddles for the first few months. They wore regular sleepers underneath.
    I know it's against the rules but they also had a blanket in their crib and it was never an issue (I have a video monitor and always kept a close eye to make sure).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • They make the Halo Sleep Sacs in fleece. I got one in newborn and one in size 1 to start.
  • A friend and mother of 3 told me she used to just double up on the sleepers at night, rather than sleep sacks or blankets
  • The recommendations are to dress your baby in whatever kind of outfit you are comfortable in plus one layer (like a swaddle blanket). They make all different kind of swaddles as PPs have said, but I think I'm going to use the aden and anais even in the winter because I love them, and baby will have a warm sleeper on underneath. 

It's not recommended to place a blanket on top of them. Also, overheating baby is a SIDS risk, so you don't want your baby too warm (ie the reason for only one extra layer and no hats while they sleep). 
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• When my daughter was in the NICU the nurses swaddled her and put a receiving blanket over top of her. They also sometimes would roll up a receiving blanket and put it under her neck to help her breathing and put beanie babies in the bed with her. I figured they knew what they were doing. We didn't do beanie babies, but we swaddled and put a receiving blanket on top until she was old enough to break out of her swaddle and roll around in her crib/ fit into her Halo sleep sack. I think large puffy blankets and oversized stuffed animals are more of the concern with the no extra stuff in crib rule.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • kfo22 said:

Why are all the sleep sacks I've seen $20 or more? It's the simplest piece of clothing! I'm going to rummage through some thift stores.

I was just thinking this!!
  • Why are all the sleep sacks I've seen $20 or more? It's the simplest piece of clothing! I'm going to rummage through some thift stores.
    I was just thinking this!!
    Right?  I feel like if I was crafty/knew how to sew, I'd make my own. 

• kfo22 said:

Why are all the sleep sacks I've seen $20 or more? It's the simplest piece of clothing! I'm going to rummage through some thift stores.

I have found a lot on resale sites for a few dollars. The price of most baby related gear is outrageous!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • kfo22 said:
    I have found quite a few at garage sales.  $1 to $2 and they have been in really good condition! 
    Anniversary: 10/10/09
    DS: 11/21/14
    DD: 7/5/16

• I was going to say the same thing as @Maelara‌, d's HATED his arms swaddle so the swaddle m's didn't work of run either. I never put another blanket over him either I was way to paranoid for that.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have a question about swaddling. When exactly do you swaddle a newborn? Anytime I've been around a newborn they just seem to fall asleep on their own all the time, there doesn't seem to be a "bedtime" or anything. Would you swaddle them when they're already asleep? Or when you think they're going to fall asleep? This first time momma is confused.

You learn their sleep schedules pretty quickly :) I always swaddled mine before their naps when I knew I was going to be putting them down in their crib (if it was a snuggling nap or in rock n play, bouncy seat, etc I didn't). I also swaddled before I put them down for the night.
    My boys both went down around the same time every night right from the beginning and the naps normalized within the first month (as soon as they had more wakeful times)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • You don't need to cover the baby again after it is swaddled unless it's just freezing in your house. Their clothes and swaddle blanket will be enough. I think the special swaddler blankets are a waste of money when a regular receiving blanket is much cheaper and does the trick. They only need to be swaddled when they are little, you don't need to worry about swaddling at 6 months. My daughter stopped after a couple months, once she had more arm strength swaddling just became pointless. You will figure out what works best for your little one after they are born, don't sweat over it too much.
  • We never used the velcro swaddlers with DS but we did try them and will try them with this next LO.  DS was one of those babies that hated being swaddled and would fuss & work around to bust out of the swaddle before he would fall asleep with his hands and feet every which way. I think it varies from baby to baby - I know my niece liked to be really tightly swaddled and it would help her calm down and sleep easier. 

The regular receiving blankets always seemed too small for DS since he was 10lbs and already in 3mo. size at birth. I liked the A&A muslin blankets most since they were slightly larger. We tried some looser sleep sacks and honestly thought some of those seemed unsafe.  A few were labeled 0-9mo but had really big neck holes and seemed to work their way up towards his face when he squirmed at night. With this LO I am going to try the A&A muslin blankets, velcro swaddlers & sleep sacks with velcro built in.

Throughout the winter would mostly just have DS in his onesie + warm sleeper and put a small fleece blanket on his bottom half.  I had the understanding that a blanket was fine as long as you keep it only up to their waist.  IDK though, I'd follow whatever your hospital recommends on that.
    TTC #1 9/11-12/12, 9/12 Dx: Hypothyroid + DOR (AMH .76), IUI #1 & #2 BFN's
    1/13 Decided to pursue DIA, 4/13 Home study Approved 9/13 Matched!
    10/13 DS home with us! 2/14 TPR completed  5/14 ADOPTION IS FINAL!
    3/14 Surprise BFP 11/14 DD is here!
  • There are sleep sacks that have built in swaddles - the swaddle part velcros over the baby.  I am getting some of them and some normal sleep sacks (with free arms).

I have some swaddle blankets but I don't anticipate putting baby in the crib with them, that's what I'll use the sleep sacks for.  I would not put a sleep sack/swaddle AND blanket in the crib. 
    In my experience, these were all fleece.  So this is a good way to go in the winter.  

We just did A&A swaddle blankets or SwaddleMes.  No blankets over the swaddle.  Baby can be in warm footy PJs, and really shouldn't be in more layers than you would be at night.  Overheating is worse than being cool.

Once we were done with the swaddles, we switched to sleep sacks.  I love the GroBag brand.  Over last summer, DD just started sleeping without any blankets (she was 1.5).  I'd sneak in at night to put a blankie over her, but this winter she began to wake up screaming if she realized that she had a blanket on... so at 2.5 she sleeps in PJs with socks and slippers (she also refuses footy PJs - which sucks because that's what all of our hand-me-down PJs are!).  

There are a lot of products on the market.  It can be confusing for sure!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • justjinny said:
    We never used the velcro swaddlers with DS but we did try them and will try them with this next LO.  DS was one of those babies that hated being swaddled and would fuss & work around to bust out of the swaddle before he would fall asleep with his hands and feet every which way. I think it varies from baby to baby - I know my niece liked to be really tightly swaddled and it would help her calm down and sleep easier. 

The regular receiving blankets always seemed too small for DS since he was 10lbs and already in 3mo. size at birth. I liked the A&A muslin blankets most since they were slightly larger. We tried some looser sleep sacks and honestly thought some of those seemed unsafe.  A few were labeled 0-9mo but had really big neck holes and seemed to work their way up towards his face when he squirmed at night. With this LO I am going to try the A&A muslin blankets, velcro swaddlers & sleep sacks with velcro built in.

Throughout the winter would mostly just have DS in his onesie + warm sleeper and put a small fleece blanket on his bottom half.  I had the understanding that a blanket was fine as long as you keep it only up to their waist.  IDK though, I'd follow whatever your hospital recommends on that.

Sleep sacks come I'm a bunch of different sizes. The halo sleep sacks are totes awesome. If you get a sleep sack that is too big, yes, they do seem dangerous to me too. Toys r us sells the halo sleep sacks and so does sears. They come in many different sizes and types.
  • We used the Miracle blanket. DD was a ninja and she loved to be swaddled, but this was the only one she couldn't get out of. Totally recommend them!

As a summer baby, DD wore a cotton sleeper underneath the swaddle. With a winter baby, I would probably do a white onesie, sleeper and swaddle at night.

At 4 months we switched from a swaddle to a sleep sack. I like the baby deedee sleep sacks for winter. They are pricey but if you live in a cold area, worth it! 
    dx: MFI 0% morph & low count. Occasional Anovulatory cycles.

TTC #1
    • IVF #1 4/21/12 - c/p
    • IVF#2 8/1/12 - BFP! DD arrived 4/10/2013.

TTC #2
    • FET #1 3/18/14 - BFP! DS arrived 11/19/2014.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"