August 2014 Moms

Encouraging stories for anyone with cats

We have a cat who hates everyone except DH and I (with us, he's the most affectionate, needy cat on earth), and relatives and friends had expressed their worry that the cat would bite and scratch once the baby was home. I had a feeling though that the cat would be the exact opposite - would see DS as a new addition to his territory, and therefore someone else to love and protect fiercely.

I'm happy to report this is exactly how things have played out. From the moment we brought DS home last Friday, the cat has appointed himself almost a nursemaid and guard. He sits by us during feedings, sniffs DS's head gently, peers into the bassinet or crib as if checking up on him, and otherwise seems like he considers it his duty to make sure LO stays safe.

Hope other cat mama's are having equally positive stories!

image    image

Re: Encouraging stories for anyone with cats

• I don't have a story yet, but I'm happy to hear this. Our ginger kitty plays really rough and he's way past the kitten stage, so he has zero excuse.

We've been a little worried he'll be too rough when the baby gets here, but for the most part I've heard cats do okay and turn protective rather than aggressive.

Thanks for sharing!

• That makes me feel so much better!  I know every cat is different, but my boy cat is exactly how your cat is, so I was worried that he would be mean to the baby.  Your story gives me hope that he'll love her as much as he loves us.  I'm really just hoping that he ignores/avoids her.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • BeachMBeachM member
    That's great!

LOL my parents' cat hid in a box when we brought DS2 over last weekend.  I know she was thinking "Why do they keep bringing MORE?!?".

• That's encouraging.. I'm not worried about my boy cat.. But my girl cat, Tiger, is REALLY timid. She hides a lot, and generally won't come out when we have guests. We're not worried that she'll be aggressive, more worried she'll hide even more and be really stressed out. Hopefully she gets protective of the baby.
  • That's great! We brought DS home to three cats, and made sure that they weren't alone with him when he was a baby (we didn't know how they would react). Fortunately, they totally ignored him and continue to do so ;)

We started talking to him about "gentle pets" and "no tail touching" from a young age, and he's really good with them now! They still aren't super interested, but they will let him pet them and hug them for about 10 seconds before running off. They've never swatted or bit!

• marathonmommy82 

Love that picture!

image    image
  • My timid cat did that too. Once dd started crawling he would just run away from her and go somewhere else. He has no interest in her, but if I am there he will let her touch him a little bit.

photo 63d081b2-beb9-4486-ae4e-de648860b72c_zpsa8e37ee8.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Our two cats are only just now getting used to DD and soon we'll be bringing another baby home. They've pretty much ignored/avoided her since she came home from the hospital. Just recently if she's still enough they'll let her pet them for a few seconds. They've never been aggressive, but we started teaching about gentle touches and not chasing/cornering them quite early and continue to repeat those same lessons often.
  • You described my cat to a T so this is very encouraging to hear! He's been our spoiled little boy for 10 years, so I hope he adjusts well. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"