August 2014 Moms

Breast pump through insurance... that was shockingly easy !

edited July 2014 in August 2014 Moms
Surprised that all I had to do was go through one of my insurance company's approved vendors ---- ordered the Medela Pump in Style Advanced and they will bill insurance directly. Insurance covered the pump itself (motor), bottles, and shields. I upgraded to the tote (with the cooler and extra bottles) for $83 AND could use my flex spending (pre tax) card! (I have the PISA backpack from DS1 but needed new tubes, bottles, etc. -- that would almost be as much as what I paid for everything brand new).

Very excited.

Re: Breast pump through insurance... that was shockingly easy !

• Mine was really easy as well! Byram Healthcare (contracted with my insurance) contacted my Dr to get the prescription for me and it literally was here a week after I contacted them with my insurance information.
    BFP 12.13.13. Baby Girl EDD 8.21.14.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have kaiser. I called and said all I do is call a number they gave me when baby is born and I get a double electric ameda pump for 6 months.
    I will be going back to work and will have to give back the pump... But I received a double electic medela as a shower gift.
  • Loading the player...
  • jamielcalljamielcall member
    edited July 2014
    My dr gave me a flier for mommyexpress.com  and they took care of everything for me as far as the breast pump went... I did it all through email they were great!!!
  • My insurance won't cover it until baby is here.  I'll have to call and request it, but it sounds like they do everything else and mail me the pump.  I'd prefer it here earlier, however.  The breastfeeding class I went to said I could start pumping to stock up my supply after 1 week, so I'd like to do that ASAP.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have free state insurance because I am pregnant and met the income guidelines. Sadly they do not cover breast pumps. 

Anniversary

• I have United Healthcare, and couldn't order mine until Tuesday. They said it takes 5-7 business days for everything to process, then 1-2 days for me to receive it once they mail it.

imageimage

BabyFetus Ticker ETA: I'm on iPad/iPhone
  • I have UHC and ordered through EdgePark. It was super easy and didn't have to do anything other than sign a paper to send back into them when it arrived. I got the Medela PIS without the tote, but it came with everything else. I got a Thirtyone zipped utility tote for $20 cause it was last seasons display for the consultant. It fits all the parts well and I'll be able to use it for another purpose when I'm done pumping.
     BFP#1- 2/12/10 DD born 10/20/10
     BFP#2- 7/27/13 EDD- 4/5/13 CP 8/4/13 @ 5weeks1day
     BFP#3- 12/1/13 EDD- 8/10/14

• @stephmt528‌ did you get yours pretty quickly?

imageimage

BabyFetus Ticker ETA: I'm on iPad/iPhone
  • @Danielle0989 Yes, within a couple of days.
     BFP#1- 2/12/10 DD born 10/20/10
     BFP#2- 7/27/13 EDD- 4/5/13 CP 8/4/13 @ 5weeks1day
     BFP#3- 12/1/13 EDD- 8/10/14

• I had the exact same experience getting my pump! super duper easy and quick.
    x

• United health covered mine and it was so easy. OB wrote a prescription while I was in the hospital and we went to the hospital pharmacy and picked it up. It's not the best one but works really well. I just wish it was a double.
  • I was supposed to run by my doctors office to have this taken care of today. Instead baby girl decided to make her apperance! Anyone else have Cigna? They gave me a third party for my doctors office to contact and I'm wondering how long it will take to get here.
  • I bought mine today and Premera says I will just have to submit a form to get reimbursed...  we'll see if it is actually that easy.  They said I can buy any pump I want, submit the form and they will reimburse me up to $250.  I ended up getting the Medela Freestyle so I'll end up spending $70 out of pocket, but it'll save me $65 by not needing a pumping bra or car charger so I figure it's not too bad.
    Anniversary Pregnancy Ticker
  • RunningJ said:
    Mine was really easy as well! Byram Healthcare (contracted with my insurance) contacted my Dr to get the prescription for me and it literally was here a week after I contacted them with my insurance information.
    I also used Byram, and same thing, one week later, poof! Breast Pump!!  I've been totally geeking out with excitement over how easy and FREE it was.  Thanks, Obama!  

Mama's ready for you, baby!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Surprised that all I had to do was go through one of my insurance company's approved vendors ---- ordered the Medela Pump in Style Advanced and they will bill insurance directly.

This is pretty much what mine was like with BCBS insurance. No prescription needed. I got this awesome package that includes a "look ma no hands" bra, the tote, cooler, pump, bottles for a co-pay. Co-pay went onto my Flex Card.Very easy and I got the thing 2 days later!
  • I was supposed to run by my doctors office to have this taken care of today. Instead baby girl decided to make her apperance! Anyone else have Cigna? They gave me a third party for my doctors office to contact and I'm wondering how long it will take to get here.
    Mine took less than a week to get to me.  If its care centrix, they have the Medela PISA and Ameda Purely Yours to choose from.   All I had to do was fax a script from my doc to them and voila.

photo 63d081b2-beb9-4486-ae4e-de648860b72c_zpsa8e37ee8.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I keep forgetting to DO this, and I was able to order 30 days out from my EDD. 

Glad to hear all the positive experiences with UHC since that's who I've got.  Just got to decide between the Medela and Hygeia and just place my dang order!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proud Mother to 16 year old Austin (MCJROTC Sgt., Trumpet playing "Band Nerd" and hopeful Air Force Pilot!)
    Proud Stepmother to 12 year old Josh (Baseball playing, Saxophone playing "Band Nerd" and hopeful Doctor!)
    Proud Mother to baby Kaylee (Stuffed toy playing, Adorable smiling baby and hopeful Rodeo Princess!)

• You are all so lucky!! Getting mine has been a royal PITA! I had my doc write a prescription about 6 weeks ago and they called it into the medical supply store (where it has to be purchased for insurance to cover it). I didn't hear anything after a few weeks, so I called the store to see what was up and they said they never got it. Doctor's office called it in again, and they told them that I couldn't get it until they received my delivery papers. I called my insurance (BCBS) to see if this was their requirement, and they said no. So basically I've been put on hold for the past 6 weeks for no reason.

To make matters worse, I called the supply store today and told them my insurance allows me to pick up the pump before delivery and while they are checking on it for me they said I would still owe $100+ out of pocket for the Medela Pump in Style model. Turns out they are charging $110 more than any other store I've seen (between $350-$480 for any of the Medela pumps), so I'm sure they're collecting a sweet profit between what they get from insurance and from my co-pay. I'm not too pleased with this situation...
    TTC Since July 2013
    BFP #1 8/8/13, EDD 4/16/14
    MMC discovered on 9/18/13 @ 10w, baby measuring 9w. D&C on 9/26/13

BFP #2 12/7/13
    , EDD 8/12/13. It's a girl!
    Caroline Marie born 8/20/14. 8lbs 11oz, 21 inches and perfect!

• I ordered my Medela (no upgrade available) from my insurance's required vendor and got it within a week. However it came attached to an ugly brown bag, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that. I'm not toting that ugly thing around work every day.

Mine took less than a week to get to me.  If its care centrix, they have the Medela PISA and Ameda Purely Yours to choose from.   All I had to do was fax a script from my doc to them and voila.

It is! That is good to hear, thanks!!
  • Yep! Got mine today at Discount drug mart - an approved vendor, on the way home from the hospital ;) super excited to have a dual pump this go round. Last 2, I only had a single and it was tough. I hope I can go the year this time!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I totally agree. Didn't even hear about it til recently, then ordered and already received it! Also got the medela. What a blessing!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • esmith10 said:

You are all so lucky!! Getting mine has been a royal PITA! I had my doc write a prescription about 6 weeks ago and they called it into the medical supply store (where it has to be purchased for insurance to cover it). I didn't hear anything after a few weeks, so I called the store to see what was up and they said they never got it. Doctor's office called it in again, and they told them that I couldn't get it until they received my delivery papers. I called my insurance (BCBS) to see if this was their requirement, and they said no. So basically I've been put on hold for the past 6 weeks for no reason.

To make matters worse, I called the supply store today and told them my insurance allows me to pick up the pump before delivery and while they are checking on it for me they said I would still owe $100+ out of pocket for the Medela Pump in Style model. Turns out they are charging $110 more than any other store I've seen (between $350-$480 for any of the Medela pumps), so I'm sure they're collecting a sweet profit between what they get from insurance and from my co-pay. I'm not too pleased with this situation...

I have BCBS and I hope they got you straightened out! They told me of 3 sights (I used edgepark) to look for pumps. Edgepark had quite a few to choose from including Medela. It was extremely easy and you don't have to do anything or go anywhere. They get the prescription from your doctor and ship it to you. I ordered mine this week so hopefully it should be in soon.

imageimageimage
              Emma June 8/22/2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"