Formula Feeding
Options

Lining up last bottle of day with bedtime

Starfish+77Starfish+77 member
edited July 2014 in Formula Feeding
I FF DS on demand but it's usually every 3-3.5 hours (just about 4 mos). Recently he's wanted a bottle about 5:15-5:30 and then due to very short naps,bedtime has started about 6:15-6:30. I've been feeding him another bottle just 1 hour later at bedtime, sometimes he just takes some other times he finishes (could be 10 oz within 1.5 hours!) Do you feed your LO a bedtime bottle? He does not fall asleep with bottle, he's put down awake since sleep training. Or should I eliminate that bottle since he just ate 1 hour prior?? Thoughts?

Re: Lining up last bottle of day with bedtime

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Yes I always gave DD a boob/bottle right at bedtime. Even now that she is 2.5yo she still gets a full cup of milk to drink while we read bed time books. She brushes teeth after that and goes to bed, but yes, milk has been part of her bedtime routine all her life. She loves it.
    I would keep doing what you're doing. Nothing wrong with a belly full of formula before bed. I'm on my phone so I can't see how old your LO is, eventually the earlier feeding could turn into a solid meal and bottle before bed...
  • Options
    I have never NOT given a bedtime bottle so I'm not certain. Depending on when he wakes sometimes the bottle prior to bedtime bottle will be around 4, but lately he's been going longer stretches bt bottles so it's been about 5:30. Bedtime bottle is usually around 6:15-6:30 since he won't nap past a certain time (3:30-4). He will be 4 months next week.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    tricia560 said:

My LO is a lot older (14 months, he gets toddler formula), but I've given him a bottle at MY bedtime for months and months now, and it works well.  He goes to bed at about 5:30, and when I'm getting ready for bed/relaxation time at about 8:30, I give him a final bottle and change his diaper.  He barely opens his eyes for it, and goes right back to sleep.  Nowadays he'll STTN after that bottle; we used to do it just because it gave me a 3 hour chunk of sleep before he woke up.

We're weaning off that bottle now that he has teeth and I'm crossing my fingers that losing it doesn't mess with STTN :-(

Thanks. I tried that for a few weeks, I think they call it a dreamfeed but it woke him too much and then he woke more frequently through the night. I have heard it works for a lot though! We did that will my DD until she was 3 months and then stopped and she slept 7-7 straight like a dream!!

• Options
    I started feeding DD, who is 12 weeks, on more of a schedule.  This was based on determining that she was eating every 3 hours, when she was feeding more on demand.  So she takes 5 total bottles a day, starting around 7am, then around 9:30-10am,  around 12:30-1pm, around 3:30-4pm and then last bottle by 6:30pm in prep for her bedtime routine.  She gets bottle, bath, reading, then into her crib by 7-7:15.  I often begin feeding her before she shows major signs of hunger, but she always takes the bottle.  She has been STTN since around 7 weeks.

So my recommendation to OP is to figure out how much he is eating during the day and space out the feedings so that the final bottle is at the beginning of your bedtime routine (or whenever you want it to be during your bedtime routine).  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"