Breastfeeding
Options

I think I screwed up...

Things were going great with nursing my DS until I got mastitis.  I am still on medication to treat the infection for a four more days.  Well for me personally, I found it was too unbearable to nurse on the infected breast and I started pumping.  After nursing on just my left and pumping on the right, I decided I would just pump both at the same time until my breast felt a bit better.  Of course that means I gave breast milk in a bottle to my DS for the past two days. Since yesterday, I have been trying to get him to latch on for nursing and he will latch and lets go after like five seconds.  He keeps pushing away and crying when I try to re-latch.  Did I completely screw up breast feeding?  I have tried for 10 minutes straight (every feeding time) to get him to latch and it just isn't happening.  I've been trying to stay calm and soothe/encourage him to attach and stay put until he eats, but I don't want to starve him either by battling with him when I have plenty of expressed milk in the fridge. Thoughts or ideas?  Honestly, I was hoping to have a great nursing experience but the most important thing to me is that he has breast milk and if I need to pump, than I will.  Just not sure if there is any coming back from this or if I screwed up beyond repair?  Thank you all so much and I appreciate any advice!  

Re: I think I screwed up...

• Options
    He might be getting frustrated with the fact that he has to suck a little while before the milk starts to flow. The bottle gives instant gratification whereas the breast is delayed gratification. You could try having something for him to look at or hold on to, a toy or something, close by so that once you get him latched on so he is a little distracted while he does those first few "empty" sucks. Good luck!
  • Options
    Thank you!  I have been trying your suggestions at every feeding for at least 15 minutes.  If by 15 minutes he has not latched, we move on to expressed breastmilk from a bottle, and it does take him at least 20 minutes to drink it. I've had him latch successfully once today, so I'm hoping if I am persistent it will work out!  Thank you all for the encouragement!  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"