December 2012 Moms
Options

Utensil usage?

How are your LO's with using a fork or spoon? I thought LO would be using a fork and spoon decently well by now and it's quite the opposite. He attempts to use them but ends up just pushing the food around and eating with his hands.

Re: Utensil usage?

• Options
    We're in the same spot as you two. I think that DD understands the concept, but that she gets frustrated that it's not faster, so then she goes back to using her hands. We just keep offering them and encouraging her when she does use them right.

She's also decided that she's too big for sippy cups and only wants big girl cups (adult style cups that are plastic in case she drops them). That's going pretty well, though they're often knocked over. How about drinking with your Littles?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

• Options
    DD mostly uses a fork and spoon, but we haven't pushed it. At one point she just started refusing to eat unless she had utensils. She's backing off from this a bit and using her hands more, but she is still pretty good with both. It just depends on the food. Sometimes she uses her hands to put the food on the fork and spoon, sometimes she just uses the utensil, and sometimes she moves the food off of her plate with her fingers and then picks it up with the utensil. I think this is just one of those things that they decide to do when they are ready.

We are not giving her regular cups. Her teacher says she can drink out of one, but we don't really try that at home. I'm totally cool with waiting until she's mastered this more at school. She will transition to the older toddler room next month and that is one of the things they work on there. She is always throwing her cup on the floor at home.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My son uses a spoon pretty well - albeit a bit messily -- with foods like yogurt, eggs, oatmeal, and the like. He'll eat all of it with a spoon. He's not as good with a fork or with foods that are rolly. Lol
  • Options
    Dd started insisting on using utensils a few months ago. She's pretty good with them, depending on the food. I didn't do anything to help her learn, she was just ready. She started to refuse to take bites unless she was holding the utensil I was using, so I started giving her her own.

As for cups, she CAN drink out of a cup, but she cannot be trusted not to drop the darn thing, so cups with lids are still our thing.

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    jac409jac409 member
    Ainsley does pretty well with a spoon and a fork, but it depends on the food. If she can't get what she wants with a utensil, she will either hand it to me to help her or just use her hands. As for cups, she still won't drink milk out of a sippy or a regular cup. I let her practice with a regular cup for water, but only if I help her. Otherwise, it will be all down the front of her.
  • Options
    Thanks! It sounds like LO is right on track with most of your LO's. To be honest I had no idea when they usually start using them well but like all things baby/toddler, he'll get it when he's ready. I could tell he was getting frustrated with it at breakfast but did manage to snag a few pieces of egg.

As for drinks we still use a sippy, he loves to drink out of adult cups but it normally ends up down the front of him.
  • Options
    DD is the same as everyone here with regards to utensils.  She goes in spurts of using them REALLY well, and then the next week wants her hands again.  She has also started to insist on using an open cup, and we let her if she asks (but I usually just give her a straw cup and hope that she just uses it).  If she does ask for it, I only pour like 1/2" of milk in the bottom, and then keep the gallon next to me and refill it with little bits at a time.  That way if she spills it, it's not a whole cup of liquid everywhere.
  • Options

Morgan uses a spork, it came with a spoon but she likes to try to stab her food.  She usually ends up using her hands but she tries, most of the time she hands it to me and says "mama help" so I stab the food and hand it to her. 

As for cups, she has a sippy that is supposed to encourage regular cup use but she always wants to drink out of our cups or a water bottle.  It usually ends up all over her but it's just water.  It's harder when we go out to eat because she wants to hold her cup and drink out of the straw but most places have cups with lids that leak. I bring bendy straws for her to use but she still ends up tipping it and usually spills some on her.

We Made A Wish....

And You Came True!

• Options
    jac409 said:
    Ainsley does pretty well with a spoon and a fork, but it depends on the food. If she can't get what she wants with a utensil, she will either hand it to me to help her or just use her hands. As for cups, she still won't drink milk out of a sippy or a regular cup. I let her practice with a regular cup for water, but only if I help her. Otherwise, it will be all down the front of her.
    Sonja still won't drink milk either!  She gave up the bottle fine but she just won't do milk out of a cup.  I keep trying though.  Otherwise, she drinks out of a cup fine with supervision and does OK with a fork ("stab it!  stab it, Sonja!") or a spoon but usually ends up using her hands once she gets tired.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"