Working Moms
Options

Resolved - thank you everyone!

rmbrjryrmbrjry member
edited July 2014 in Working Moms
I'm looking for some advice on how to respond to one of my employees. I was recently promoted to the director position (from assistant director) and we did a search for my replacement. One of the women in my office applied but we had an external candidate who we determined was a better fit. I spoke personally with the person in my office yesterday and she seemed disappointed but okay with the decision. Today she emailed me to say she was devastated, not just disappointed, but "what could one do?". I've drafted my response but wanted to run it by some more experienced managers since this is my first time delivering this type of message. Thoughts, suggestions, etc...?

I can appreciate your position and while I do know how you feel, I understand that this is little comfort to you. I can say that one of my goals for the upcoming year(s) is to work with everyone in the office to expand our skill sets. I’m hoping that once things settle down a little bit we can meet one-on-one to go over what might be helpful to build upon. Does that sound like something that might interest you? As I said, you never know what the future holds, and it can never hurt to diversify your experience.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Resolved - thank you everyone!

• Options
    I think it reads okay but does not answer her questions. You need to go to hr and craft a message. Our hr department gets very upset when we talk to employees passed over due to it causing possiable legal issues when the upset employee claims they were discriminated against.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    snicksnack - Our HR department isn't as strict but that's still a great point. I think I'll run my response by them and my VP before I do anything. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    You are welcome. I work for a global
    Company who is aways afraid of being sued lol
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    As someone that has experience not getting a promotion, you need to work with HR (b/c they always have an opinion) and offer her as much honesty as possible.  Was she passed over b/c her skill set wasn't right?  If so, I'd be blunt and your offer to work with her to expanding her skills but not guaranteeing that that will automatically get her the next available promotion.  If it is something else, be honest.
  • Options
    shannmshannm member
    Agree with everyone else and I would also consider not doing this via email. The fact that you spoke with her yesterday but then she sent the email seems odd to me and I would just stop that line of passive communication now.
  • Options
    snicksnack - lol, my last employer was like that so I know what you mean! Better safe than sorry, though, right?

PSU_Texan - Thanks for your feedback. I, too, have been in that position so I really do know how it feels. I want to be honest with her but am hesitant to spell it out in email form, which is why I suggested the one-on-one. I'm going to speak w/my VP and HR and see what they say. We do have a valid reason for passing her over, so I'm going to schedule an appointment to speak with her and discuss how to improve her abilities in those areas. Thanks again!

• Options
    shannm - spoke w/my VP and that's basically what she said :) It would bug me not to answer, though, so the plan now it just to tell her we'll meet in person next week to discuss it further.

wife07mom09 - you're right, thank you! I worked w/my VP to amend it.

I really appreciate everyone's responses! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"