Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Daycare lunch ?

My 2.5 yo DD will be starting day care next week; she was with family before so I never had to worry about lunches.  What do you pack for your kids?  Our daycare does not have a fridge but we can use a cold pack in her lunch for anything that should be cold and they do have a microwave.  

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Daycare lunch ?

• Options

I would not ask nor expect them to microwave a lunch.  Even if it only takes 1 minute, they do have several kids to prep lunch for.

I send cheese sticks, garbanzo beans, PB&J, pasta mixed with cottage cheese, packets of fruit/veg puree (the pre-prep'd kind....I know DD is a bit old for them but she loves'em).  Quinoa...black beans...corn...broccoli/cheese....

A small cooler with a suitable ice pack is sufficient.

We also have a small thermos that we'll pack hot lunch in.  I think it keeps it warm enough for the 4 hours it needs to last until DD's lunchtime.  This one: Thermos Foogo Leak-Proof Stainless Steel 10-Ounce Food Jar, Pink

Label everything.  I get little labels from inchbug.com that stick on just about any surface and survive laundry as well as dishwasher washing.  I also bought there bottle labelers - comes in packs of 4 and can be transferred between bottles.

• Options
    shannmshannm member
    We have the same situation with no fridge but yes to microwaving. Our teachers have no problem heating up.
    My DD is picky so I send limited things. Grilled cheese and veggies, leftover pasta and Mac and cheese, hard boiled eggs, cherry tomatoes, chick pea/sweet potato pancakes...
    For snacks we send cheese, crackers, fruit, yogurt, cereal bars...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I packed lunch for my son from 7 months to 2.5.  Sometimes we had a fridge, sometimes we didn't (depending on the room he was in).  Same goes for a microwave.  Here are some blog entries I wrote about packing lunches:

Part 1
    - what to pack it in

Part 2 - lunch ideas

Part 3 - allergies
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I make broccoli cheese muffins and DD loves them.  This is roughly the recipe I use.  I leave out the bacon and the chives though ...  https://roarsweetly.wordpress.com/2012/05/03/savoury-muffins-for-toddlers/

I love it because I can whip up a batch on the weekends and freeze them, taking out a couple at a time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  
  • Options

i once worked in a daycare where families provided lunches. we did not have room to refrigerate them, but would microwave if it was only a minute or two. it was a lot harder to have families bring meals, because children wanted what other children had, which would start a meltdown and result in not eating. talk with your daycare provider, about what your child is wanting from other children's lunches (if anything) and try to provide some of those. i also found that a lunch, because there are so many children with all different lunches, if you have more of a sampling tray of food for your child rather than larger quantities of fewer foods. also, teachers are monitoring children eating; however, make sure the food is cut up in the appropriate size for your child to safely eat.

things to pack: cheese stick, crackers, shredded chicken, fruit salad, sliced vegetables, pasta, rice, yogurt, pancakes, scrambled eggs, bread, cottage cheese, meatballs, raisins, pizza, etc. think breakfast, lunch and dinner (leftovers even).

at the daycare provider my ds is at, they provide meals. children are all getting the same meals, and families get the menu ahead of time. they make meals that children generally like but also introducing some newer foods.

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options

Thanks guys  so far she has been good about eating leftovers but I really like the idea of breakfast for lunch and for sending her with smaller portions of more different foods.   Also great suggestion to ask the dc providers if she is trying to eat others' lunches :)

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"