May 2013 Moms

To late to change what we call Grandma?

We live really close to both of my and my DH's parents and see both sets frequently, which we love. One set of parents goes by Grandpa & Grandma, and the other set goes by Papa & Grandma. 

Growing up, all of my grandparents went by Grandma & Grandpa, but it wasn't that confusing because they lived far away and we only saw them a few times a year. 

I didn't even think about it before, but I think having two "grandma"s would be confusing for DS, so I'm wondering if it's too late to change it??? I think the obvious one to change would be the Grandma that is with Papa, since to me something else goes with Papa. The grandparent doesn't want Nana or Granny . . . sooo we're stuck. Before E was born, we were thinking "GiGi" for Grandma G (her name starts with a G.

Thoughts??? Is this not a big deal and I'm overthinking? :) 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: To late to change what we call Grandma?

• I have 2 friends who use Grandma.  They just do Grandma S and Grandma B
    http://oi58.tinypic.com/nqv6fk.jpg

DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • edited July 2014
    My best friend called her grandma "Grandma. Betty." I don't think she even had another grandma. I'd just do what the others suggested and call them Grandma Lastname (or first name) to clarify which one you mean, especially if the grandmas don't have a preferred alternative name.

Edit - added the dot for search prevention purposes. Just in case anyone is googling my friend's grandma's nickname, which would be weird, but you never know...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't think it is that confusing because there is still that distinguishing element of calling the one papa. What drives me nuts is when they don't care what they are called so they confuse him with papa-poppop-gramps-grampy-grandpa and nana,gram or grandma. Atleast your family wants to stick with one name! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image       image

image A look at my future

• tee18tee18 member
    Thanks everyone! I'm going to not worry about it now and am not going to try to force a change - it's so helpful to hear your thoughts. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was supposed to have two Mamaws: Mamaw Dot and Mamaw Jo. But somehow Mamaw Dot stuck and Mamaw Jo turned into Mawmaw.

Kids will call them whatever they choose to call them.
    Started adoption process in Jan. 2011.
    3 failed matches in 2012.
    Surprise pregnancy in Aug. 2012.
    Precious baby boy "HC" born May 2013.
    Began researching EA in 2014.
    No longer pursuing EA due to fibroid complications.
    Officially on the adoption home study wait list.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"