High-Risk Pregnancy

BP is rising

Just curious of others situations and outcomes. I'm currently 29w3d and I've been being seen every 2 weeks due to previous PTL with dd. This pregnancy has been going well but the last few appts my BP has been going up. My average was always 116/68. The past month it's been around 140s/70s. This morning at my appt it was 148/86 so my Dr decided to start me on a low dose of BP meds. I will have a growth scan in 2 weeks and see how things are from there. He mentioned hopefully keeping BP controlled until 34-36 weeks. I'm going to buy a home BP cuff to keep an eye on things. What is considered too high? Should I be prepared for another preemie? Guess I'm just looking for others that have had high BP during pregnancy! Thanks ladies and I hope you're all having a fabulous day :)

Re: BP is rising

• First, hugs.  Take a deep breath.  Hugs again for good measure.

Second, the biggest concern is the rising bottom number.  140/90 is when they really do start to get concerned for normal people.  Your average being so low, having such a high BP is concerning. 

Third, I wouldn't be worrying about another preemie.  OB has you on BP meds and you are being monitored.  At the stage you are and what your BP looks like, I honestly wouldn't be freaking out about a preemie. 

Fourth, be prepared to not be allowed to go to 40 wks, though.

Questions -

Any headaches/migraines?

What is your swelling like?  Does it go back down over night?

Did OB give you any extra instructions?

Are you drinking enough water? 

I know it is hard, but you have got to make sure you don't stress and rest when you can.  Having another LO makes it super hard, but your health and the health of your LO is super important.  Please make sure to put your feet up as often as you can. 

just the average swelling in my feet at this point, I usually drink about 8 bottles of water a day, he told me to watch for swelling in my face and hands, headaches and blurred vision which I've had none of so that's a plus. He said we will do a growth scan in 2 weeks and probably bpp's every week after that to keep an eye on baby. Hopefully these meds work and we get as close to my RCS at 39w as possible. Thank you for your input :)
  • Aw thank you :) and I have no idea what I would do about bedrest, DH is active duty army so he's not home alot and we have a 3yr old and 10 month old. But I won't get ahead of myself haha! Stress?! What's that? ;)
  • Loading the player...
  • amfb12amfb12 member
    Im having the same issue. I have never had problems with bp, usually run arouns 110/76 on a good day. Recently had swelling, my aunt mentioned a bp cuff for me to check myself and it has been alllllll over! 144/105 - 100/50. Today at docs went from 139/90 to 100/50 in 10 minutes! But they are much more concerned with the bottom (diastolic) number. 140/90 amd higher (esp bottom number) is considered high. The cuff helps to measure it at home, just make sure you are in right position, etc. It is scary! But best to try not and stress over it which will cause a high in bp lol. But best of luck to you with everything!
  • amfb12 said:

Im having the same issue. I have never had problems with bp, usually run arouns 110/76 on a good day. Recently had swelling, my aunt mentioned a bp cuff for me to check myself and it has been alllllll over! 144/105 - 100/50. Today at docs went from 139/90 to 100/50 in 10 minutes! But they are much more concerned with the bottom (diastolic) number. 140/90 amd higher (esp bottom number) is considered high. The cuff helps to measure it at home, just make sure you are in right position, etc. It is scary! But best to try not and stress over it which will cause a high in bp lol. But best of luck to you with everything!

What does your doc say about it being high? Just curious because my doc kinda just layed out if it keeps going up? Do they have you on BP meds too? I just bought a cuff so I'll start taking it mid morning every day! Good luck with you also :)
  • amfb12amfb12 member
    She didnt say too much. She was surprised of the quick difference in pressure, and said to come back in a day to have it re-checked. Also, to just keep my legs elevated when I can. I'm not on any bp meds, they ran a PTC test which is platelet, kidney etc to make sure they are okay! Also, when you check your bp and if it is elevated, lay on your left side for 10 to 15 minutes and re-check! Blood pressure is so sensitive to everything! Mine is around 121/76 now but has been elevated most of the day! But thank you! :-)
  • KTZ17KTZ17 member
    amfb12 said:
    She didnt say too much. She was surprised of the quick difference in pressure, and said to come back in a day to have it re-checked. Also, to just keep my legs elevated when I can. I'm not on any bp meds, they ran a PTC test which is platelet, kidney etc to make sure they are okay! Also, when you check your bp and if it is elevated, lay on your left side for 10 to 15 minutes and re-check! Blood pressure is so sensitive to everything! Mine is around 121/76 now but has been elevated most of the day! But thank you! :-)

@amfb12‌ from what I understood, laying on your left side only temporarily reduces your BP. If you lay on your left side for 10 minutes to get a low reading, you're kind of cheating ;) You want your BP to be normal when you're sitting in a normal position, going about your business. To OP and amfb12, just watch out for back/shoulder pain, severe heartburn, vomiting, visual disturbances, and headaches, as these can be signs of HELLP syndrome. Check out the thread on the preemie board, I think the title is Any other HELLP mamas? The women who responded talk about their symptoms, etc. when they had it. Hopefully your BPs can be easily controlled with meds and that's all it is, but it's good to be proactive about this because it seems not all OBs are on top of it. Sending you both relaxing, low BP vibes.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    imageimage
  • KTZ17 said:

amfb12 said:

@amfb12‌ from what I understood, laying on your left side only temporarily reduces your BP. If you lay on your left side for 10 minutes to get a low reading, you're kind of cheating ;) You want your BP to be normal when you're sitting in a normal position, going about your business. To OP and amfb12, just watch out for back/shoulder pain, severe heartburn, vomiting, visual disturbances, and headaches, as these can be signs of HELLP syndrome. Check out the thread on the preemie board, I think the title is Any other HELLP mamas? The women who responded talk about their symptoms, etc. when they had it. Hopefully your BPs can be easily controlled with meds and that's all it is, but it's good to be proactive about this because it seems not all OBs are on top of it. Sending you both relaxing, low BP vibes.

I've had horrible heartburn the last month and I've been complaining to DH a few times recently about a radiating pain under my right shoulder blade. He insists I've pulled a muscle but I know I havent. Thank you for mentioning those symptoms because I never mentioned those to my doctor. I appreciate the kind words and advice!
  • amfb12amfb12 member
    You are absolutely right! It only temporarily lowers it. I know if it is high laying on lefr side and resting help to reduce it so it doesnt remain high for a long time to be dangerous. Should have mentioned that in there! :-)
  • KTZ17KTZ17 member
    amfb12 said:

I've had horrible heartburn the last month and I've been complaining to DH a few times recently about a radiating pain under my right shoulder blade. He insists I've pulled a muscle but I know I havent. Thank you for mentioning those symptoms because I never mentioned those to my doctor. I appreciate the kind words and advice!

@Bellaleigh21 definitely tell your OB about the shoulder pain. The heartburn can also be an indication of issues, but the thing is it's also a very common pregnancy affliction, so if it were just heartburn with no other issues, an OB probably would just say to lay off spicy foods and take some Zantac. Combined with the high BP though, it's worth mentioning. Hopefully it's nothing, but better to be overly cautious have your OB run some bloodwork. Update me on what he/she says!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    imageimage
  • I have always had high blood pressure well before getting pregnant. My problem is that when I go to the doctor's office its ALWAYS high but when I'm relaxing at home it is normal. I have this horrible white coat syndrome or something.  I'm on Labetol (or however you spell it) twice a day but when I went in yesterday - it was like 146/105 ...but my issue is they took it immediately after I sat down, after I had been crying (happy tears) and being incredibly nervous from my first ultra sound. I dunno why they do that. Especially if you actually have high blood pressure going from a walking state to immediately sitting down isn't going to give an accurate number.

So, after I had sat there for awhile, relaxed we had them take it again and it was down to 130/90.  When I take it at home with my wrist cuff its always like 107/67 even if its off by like 20 points, I think its still good readings.  I have taken my wrist cuff with me at the doctor's before to make sure it gets the same thing... its usually pretty close. 

My endocrinologist once thought I might have Cushing's disease since my BP was always so high even on meds ... but it doesn't make any sense to me why its always high at the doctor's office and fine at home.  Aside from the fact that I HATE going to the doctor and I believe my tension, anxiety and nerves make it go up?

BabyFetus Ticker
  • @cathartic1 I usually have low blood pressure but I know I have the same issue, when they take my blood pressure at the doctor's I'm always running higher than I do normally.    My endo and GP both know that there is no point in taking my blood pressure until the end of the appointment as it usually normalizes itself by then.  I would advocate for having them test later in the appointment or at least doing a second test later to make sure that the momentary spike is on the way down.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"