August 2014 Moms

Book Rec's?

I'm getting terrible insomnia lately (maybe some anxiety about this whole pregnancy business coming to a close!). Any good books y'all have read recently? I'm trying to add a couple to my kindle before hospital time, but nothing is catching my eye.

Re: Book Rec's?

• I'm rereading Mists of Avalon at the moment. Highly recommend. What genres do you like
  • vk2204vk2204 member
    I just read Chelsea Handler's "Are you there Vodka? It's me, Chelsea". I laughed so hard I was crying at some parts. Other than that I have been reading the cheap deal books that Amazon offers.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Laur110Laur110 member
    edited July 2014
    Not sure which genres you like, but:

Wool - Omnibus Edition - Hugh Howey
    Shift - Omnibus Edition - Hugh Howey
    Vampire Academy Series- Richelle Mead
    Bloodlines Series - Richelle Mead
    The Fault in Our Stars - John Green
    The Lux Series - Jennifer L Armentrout
    The Covenant Series - Jennifer L Armentrout

Edited: Adding More Suggestions
    Anniversary
  • vk2204vk2204 member
    I just read Gone Girl and could not put it down! I was really sorry when it ended because now I have nothing gripping to read :-(

I can't remember who the author is but her other books are pretty good, too!

• I'm currently reading The Book Thief and highly recommend it so far.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • vk2204 said:

I just read Gone Girl and could not put it down! I was really sorry when it ended because now I have nothing gripping to read :-(
    I can't remember who the author is but her other books are pretty good, too!

Gillian Flynn! And her other books are awesome, too!

I've always been attracted to books that are just a little disturbing, and one of my absolute favorites is "Room".

Jenny Mollen's "I like you just the way I am" was hysterical and I've heard amazing things about Mindy Kaling and Kelly Oxford's books, too!
  • I'm gonna self-promo and admit I'm an author. I write teen fiction for Scholastic. Stuff like Hunger Games. Here's a link to my latest series: 

It's about a teen girl who enters a race across desert, mountain, ocean, and jungle to try and win a cure for her brother's illness. Each contender in the race is competing for the same thing, and they get only one thing to help them along--an animal companion with special abilities (ex. a lion that breathes fire, or an owl that can become invisible). 

Ugh. I'm sorta' disgusted with my own self-promo. ;)
  • Laur110 said:

Jennifer is a good friend of mine. One of our first series (Lux Series for her, Dante Walker Trilogy for me), were both edited by the same editor and published by the same publisher. She's super sweet, and would hug you for reccing her books. :) 
  • I like a lot of everything, as long as the writing and plot is good. Not a super fan of science fiction (aliens, space...) and I thought the writing in 50 Shades of Gray was God awful.
    I liked Hunger Games, A Thousand Splendid Suns... Pillars of the Earth is probably my favorite book. I also like funny, and have been eyeing Chelsea Handler's books for a while now.
    I just finished Bringing Up Bebe and liked that as well.
  • I like a lot of everything, as long as the writing and plot is good. Not a super fan of science fiction (aliens, space...) and I thought the writing in 50 Shades of Gray was God awful. I liked Hunger Games, A Thousand Splendid Suns... Pillars of the Earth is probably my favorite book. I also like funny, and have been eyeing Chelsea Handler's books for a while now. I just finished Bringing Up Bebe and liked that as well.
    I second both of these books. Fantastic!
  • Wild by Cheryl Strayed. Did you read the one we did for book club way back when? The Husband's secret. I ended up reading the two other books by the same author too I liked the first one so much
  • I second both The Book Thief and Gone Girl. After two years of grad school, I finally got to read for pleasure this summer, and those were two that I crossed off my list. 

I will add to those The Paris Wife and Serena. The Paris Wife was excellent, and I'm just about to start Serena.
    BabyFruit Ticker

BabyName Ticker
  • Flynn's other books are excellent, too: Dark Places and Sharp Objects.

Currently reading The Professor and the Madman

Other favorites:
    Middlesex
    Looking for Alaska
    The Fault in Our Stars
    Helter Skeltor: The True Story of the Manson Murders
    Presumed Innocent
    The Night Circus
    A Grown Up Kind of Pretty
    Switching Time
    Gods in Alabama
    The Girl Who Stopping Swimming

• Beatriz Williams is suddenly my new favorite author. 

Overseas
    Secret Life of Violet Grant
    100 Summers

All really good!

• Venus04 said:
    Laur110 said:

Jennifer is a good friend of mine. One of our first series (Lux Series for her, Dante Walker Trilogy for me), were both edited by the same editor and published by the same publisher. She's super sweet, and would hug you for reccing her books. :) 
    I'm a lurker from September but I also love the Lux series. Absolutely fantastic.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"