August 2014 Moms
Options

IUD after birth

My doctor wants to put my IUD in immediately after I give birth. Like, within minutes. I have a lot of concerns about that, since it seems like the whole uterus shrinking thing might make placement imprecise, which could lead to failure of the device. Also, I'm worried it might affect the recovery process.

I've read about this on the internet and it sounds like a fairly common procedure, so maybe I'm just being crazy. I was wondering whether anyone had done this before who could share their experiences.

Re: IUD after birth

• Options
    I had my IUD put in place several weeks after birth last time. With all the complications an IUD can have (slip out of place, falls out, imbedding in the uterus, ect) I'd feel uncomfortable with it being inserted asap. It may be common practice but I'd rather my uterus heal for it to have the best chance.

also- soon after I got my IUD inserted i came down with a very bad kidney infection and a few years later started having monthly yeast infections (the yeast clings to the strings which can cause them to become a monthly problem) and i began bleeding all the time. Another reason I'd want everything to heal properly before insertion.
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Options
    My gf had hers put in at her 6 week check up. It's highly doubtful that you'll be having sex before then anyway so tell your Dr to cool down & wait it out.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ebp913ebp913 member
    My doctor does it between 4 and 6 weeks after delivery. I've never heard of people having it put in literally right after.  
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Options
    I had my IUD inserted at my 6 week f/u apt with DS.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I wouldnt until my six week check. My understanding is that the IUD causes some cramping and discomfort and some of which is normal, but if it is severe at the beginning something could be wrong. After baby you may have post cramping and with all the other junk going on down there you may not be able to tell what is normal and not, or realize the IUD falls out.  I see no point in having it placed right away, as another PP said, you probably won't be having sex anyways
  • Options
    That sounds very aggressive for him to be suggesting. I would personally like my body to be healed before sticking something up there again. With my last provider it was done after I was examined at my 6 weeks pp check up. Like some people have mentioned I doubt you'll need the protection that quickly anyways. Have you asked him his reasoning for wanting to place it right away/
  • Options
    Another who has a doc who said "We'll place it at your 6 week follow up and not before."

Your doc can't force it on you.  Tell them you want it placed 6-8 PP. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proud Mother to 16 year old Austin (MCJROTC Sgt., Trumpet playing "Band Nerd" and hopeful Air Force Pilot!)
    Proud Stepmother to 12 year old Josh (Baseball playing, Saxophone playing "Band Nerd" and hopeful Doctor!)
    Proud Mother to baby Kaylee (Stuffed toy playing, Adorable smiling baby and hopeful Rodeo Princess!)

• Options
    I was reading about them because I would like to get one after, and everything I saw said that if it is placed too early after birth there is a high chance of it falling out. S/o of this, do you all have the mirena or the cooper IUD? Trying to decide what would be best for me!
  • Options
    My OB only does them after your 6 week check up.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I had the Mirena for about 2.5 years before I had it removed to TTC.

LOVED IT!!!  Insertion wasn't fun (nor was removal), but after a few months, my periods went from heavy and 5-7 days to about 6-8 hours. 

I plan on doing Mirena again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proud Mother to 16 year old Austin (MCJROTC Sgt., Trumpet playing "Band Nerd" and hopeful Air Force Pilot!)
    Proud Stepmother to 12 year old Josh (Baseball playing, Saxophone playing "Band Nerd" and hopeful Doctor!)
    Proud Mother to baby Kaylee (Stuffed toy playing, Adorable smiling baby and hopeful Rodeo Princess!)

• Options
    @kelsbeno I had Paraguard the cooper IUD and absolutely loved it! I like that it was hormonal free and it lasted for 10 years! Of course you can take it out much sooner if you'd like to have another child. I only kept mine in for a little over 2 years.The strings hurt for a little while before they softened up in about 2-3 days and that's my only complaint! 
  • Options
    My doctor doesn't place them until 8 weeks PP. I would defintiely feel uncomfortable having it placed right away.
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @nthomas1014‌ that's why I am leaning towards the copper, I would like to avoid hormones! I read that it could cause heavy bleeding though? So I was looking at the mirena because like @shaylagirl‌ mentioned, actually decreases the periods. I will talk to my dr about what he thinks is best! My H doesn't want me to get one at all, but I know we plan on waiting at least 2 years before ttgp again, so the more permanent option of an IUD really appeals to me
  • Options
    I never noticed any difference in my periods @Kelsbeno but I know everyone's bodies react diffrently. I don't think I can handle not getting periods lol I would be nervous I was pregnant even if I knew the side effects included it!
  • Options
    I never noticed any difference in my periods @Kelsbeno but I know everyone's bodies react diffrently. I don't think I can handle not getting periods lol I would be nervous I was pregnant even if I knew the side effects included it!
    That's why they advise you reach in monthly and check the strings.  Honestly, I never did myself.  :)  But, I knew it was in there because I'd get just that light brown discharge once a month, and my body would still cramp and go through the "motions" of having a period, it was just SO mild instead of those days and days of feeling like a stuck pig.

• Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone! It sounds like getting the IUD right after birth is not happening very often in practice, though I found a bunch of internet studies about it. After my first birth my doctor waited until 8 weeks to put in the IUD, but this doctor insists that it's just as good to get it right away. I think I'll let her know that I prefer to wait, because I very badly do not want to be pregnant again any time soon.

To answer @Kelsbeno, I have had the copper IUD twice before, and I intend to get it again. I love that it's hormone free, and the effect on my period is minor. Basically I get 3-4 days of moderately heavy flow that stops all at once, instead of the week of intermittent random flow that tapered off slowly.
  • Options
    @Kelsbeno‌ i had the copper IUD for close to 5 or 6 years. It worked great for 4 years then I started having issues, but that may be due to me getting sick with an autoimmune disease. Like I said in my previous post i started having monthly yeast infections. Once you get one yeast infection the yeast can cling to the strings and cause monthly issues (again my immune system was compromised at this point so that could be abig factor) i also had a lot of issues with breakthrough bleeding around the 4 year mark.

That being said insertion wasn't a big deal I had some light cramps but not much bleeding or anything. The 4 years it worked very well, I had light periods but after I got it the IUD extended them for 5 days, little to no cramps and medium flow. It also prevented pregnancy for a very long time.
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Options
    My doctor says she will do this at my follow up exam. I think I would rather give my lady parts a break for a bit.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My doc said not before 10 woks is what she does. I had my mirena for about 3.5-4 years and I loved it!! No periods, at all, I did still have cramping, some months it was worse then others. I took it out not to ttc but because it was feeling like while in certain positions I could feel it. But that was only after almost four years. It did make my skin clear up somewhat as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"