February 2013 Moms

s/o names

DH came home today and said, "do you want to talk about names?"  I about had a heart attack, since he has been uninterested in this ever since I became pregnant.  Perhaps it was the IM I sent him today that said "I'm 32 weeks today" which was the week we had M.  We still do not have much.  He only likes super old names.  He has suggested George, Albert, and Bill.  I am not super into trendy names, but I don't want to associate our child's name with a bunch of 80 year-olds I know.  I like Cameron or Christian, but those are nos.  Our short list is Alex, Rory, Thomas...  We also could use DH's name or DH's brother's name, but we aren't sure how weird that might be.  Any thoughts?

Re: s/o names

• I've always been partial to Alexander, but DH vetoes it because there was an Alexander in his class at school who made his life miserable. I really like the name, though.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Thanks--we have a lot of that.  So many boys names are either people I dated, people who I think of as terrible, or people we know.  We are open to suggestions.  We are not "...den" type people, but we certainly are not done thinking about this.
  • Loading the player...
  • I've always loved Alexander-- it's my Grandfather's name, and my brother's middle name-- but it's really long and so is our last name. And DH has a first cousin named Alex (not Alexander). DH is resistant to using anything long because he grew up with such a cumbersome long name . First and last is 22 characters! So unfortunately for me, Alexander is off our list. Boo.

My DH is also really partial to the old, old names. As in, DS's middle name is Virgil. Other boy names that hit our possible list were Henry, Harold, Felix, James, Benjamin, Benedict, Oliver, and Gabriel.  None of them fit with the middle name we had last time (Virgil, lol!) so I'm not sure what, or even if, we might return to.

This is going to sound so terrible to even say it, but I truly love the names that were used in the Twilight series (with the exception of Isabella and only because of it's current insane popularity).  I think the older, early 1900s names are making a resurgence.  I seriously considered Edward for Elliott, but DH didn't like the way it sounded with our last name.  And now he thinks that Elliott and Emmitt are too close, so that one is scratched too.  But there's still hope for Jasper! Carlisle is a 100% veto from DH though.  But I might try to insist on it for a middle name, like he did with Virgil!

We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• I like Alex, or Alexander if it floats your boat. But I'm a big fan of the shorter version of names. If that is all you are going to call the kid anyways, why not name him/her that?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Emerson, Callahan, and Jeffrey are my favorites. We have an Emerson and Callahan is a top contender for next time. Jeffrey is my dads name. Also what about Joseph. Daniel? I like Alex as a NN for Alexander, love Rory and like Thomas too.
  • I think naming a kid after your sibling is totally fine - but every single person I've known who was named after their father HATED it... The Jr I was married to for a while had some extreme resentment toward both of his parents for naming him after his dad, and it wasn't like he hated his dad or anything - he just always made comments like "I would never do that to a child" and "You have no clue what it's like to grow up with the jokes and confusion" and he occasionally told other people that they were narcissistic assholes if they named their children after themselves.... He was a lot more intense about it than the other Jrs I knew when I was younger, but all of them had pretty strong distaste for being named after their dads, so I vote no on that one. 
    image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• Thomas is good!

Naming after dad = no no in my book
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm with Tamara on the Twilight series, Carlisle and Jasper especially.  I'm also a fan of Jamison, Harrison, Alexander and Benjamin too.
  • Also love Thomas!

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• Rynleigh said:

I think naming a kid after your sibling is totally fine - but every single person I've known who was named after their father HATED it... The Jr I was married to for a while had some extreme resentment toward both of his parents for naming him after his dad, and it wasn't like he hated his dad or anything - he just always made comments like "I would never do that to a child" and "You have no clue what it's like to grow up with the jokes and confusion" and he occasionally told other people that they were narcissistic assholes if they named their children after themselves.... He was a lot more intense about it than the other Jrs I knew when I was younger, but all of them had pretty strong distaste for being named after their dads, so I vote no on that one. 

I love rynleighs comment about being narcissistic. I have a cousin (uncle? Something removed? He's my grandmother's sister's husband) and his name is Anthony. He is Greek and very full of himself. He had three children and named therm all after himself: Anne, Antonia, and Anthinasious (sp? Greek of Anthony).

Eye roll...
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• I like Thomas.

View Full Size Image
    BFP- 5/23/12 EDD- 1/23/13 DS born 2/2/13

Baby BOY #2 coming in May!

• um my son is named after my husband haha. diff middle names tho, and its my favorite boys name anyway so i likely would have used it regardless of DHs name.

Henry is old fashioned and super popular right now, so checks both boxes! I do like Alex, I also like Charles (charlie)
  • My son has my husband's middle name for his middle name. It was our way of honoring dad without giving him a Jr. name.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Wellll ... we are having a boy and he's Thomas :-)  So, I like the name Thomas.

I couldn't care less about naming kids after people.  Sometimes, it's a good way to honor family - DS is named after my brother and we love it :-).
  • My son is Henry. He's a mischievous little boy...when he gets that way, we affectionately call him Hank! I also like the classic names - to me, I think there's nothing cuter than a little boy having an "old man" name. Thomas, Benjamin, and Nathaniel were others on our short list.

Typically I don't like if the son/father have the same name...unless they go by different everyday names (ex: both named William, but one goes by Bill and the other Will).

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"