October 2013 Moms
Options

Peace corps care package?

My sister in law left for 27 months in Africa last month and now that she has her site address, I'm making a care package for her. She is in a very remote village so no high tech things- we are sending a USB stick with movies etc- and it takes 6 weeks to get there so no food that will melt or spoil (however, for $1230, did you know you could overnight something to Africa?) So far I have sponges, colorful Duct tape, energy bars, some stickers and cute band aids for the kids in the village, some markers and incense (just for fun), as well as some stuff she asked for. It's the same price to ship it up to 20 lbs so I really want to fill the box up! Any ideas? It can be something practical that I haven't thought of or something fun for her and the other volunteers or something awesome for the people of the village! And... Go! Thanks in advance!
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Peace corps care package?

• Options
    deedee1017deedee1017 member
    edited July 2014
    how about word search books, or soduko, if she's into that?  Can she wear nail polish?  That might be something she can do for herself in her down time.  A journal?  colorful pens?  jump ropes? beach balls or other inflatable things that can be shipped flat (balloons?) for the kids in the village.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    my SIL went on a mission a few years ago (although a lot shorter..) these are some of the things she packed/said people got/were helpful

airborne or emergen-C (drink mixes) to boost immune system
    a few US stamps (so that if anybody heads home, they can drop something in the mail for her)
    anything that's "just add water" (pancakes, drink mixes, cookies?)
    bug bite/anti itch/aloe
    books for her and books for kids
    beef jerkey (enough for everyone)

mmm....that's all i can think of right now.

lots and lots and lots of purell.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    jennlin said:
    my SIL went on a mission a few years ago (although a lot shorter..) these are some of the things she packed/said people got/were helpful

airborne or emergen-C (drink mixes) to boost immune system
    a few US stamps (so that if anybody heads home, they can drop something in the mail for her)
    anything that's "just add water" (pancakes, drink mixes, cookies?)
    bug bite/anti itch/aloe
    books for her and books for kids
    beef jerkey (enough for everyone)

mmm....that's all i can think of right now.

lots and lots and lots of purell.
    all of these are much better ideas than mine. LOL

• Options
    @deedee1017 yours were much more fun! i love the idea of nail polish. i bet the kids down there would have fun with it too! and the inflatables would be great, too!

• Options
    My first thoughts would be books, maybe fun stationary, fun magazines? For fun stuff for kids/villagers, I would raid the dollar store for stuff like bubbles, hard candy, small balls, little games, etc.
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks y'all! Good ideas on the dollar store! I sent her with about 10 bottles of little nail polish, but weirdly enough, that is on no ship list. Love the bubbles idea. I have to say, I'm enjoying picking up stuff for the village kids more then her!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    catycate said:
    Thanks y'all! Good ideas on the dollar store! I sent her with about 10 bottles of little nail polish, but weirdly enough, that is on no ship list. Love the bubbles idea. I have to say, I'm enjoying picking up stuff for the village kids more then her!
    I wonder if the nail polish is on the no ship list because it's flameable. 

• Options
    Decks of cards?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Options
    Ooh, also maybe recent pics of friends/family or occasions/events she didn't get to attend?
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    Parafoil kites, glow sticks, a soccer ball and a hand pump to inflate it and 12 bandanas in 2 different colors (to use as team uniforms). 

November: Doing my own thing

• Options
    My best friend was in Kazakhstan with the peace corps from 2008-2010 and I sent her some packages too.

She loved getting hard candy, hot chocolate packets, basic pain meds, & granola bars.  I think I remember sending her some memory cards for her camera and cd's with current music on it. 

She could watch mtv at one point, but it was all in Russian so music in english was a plus.

Even pictures of friends/family that she could hang up on her wall were appreciated. 

R&K married 4.15.11. TTC #1 since 7.11.12

BFP #1 9.9.12 EDD 5.21.13 c/p 9.12.12 at 4 weeks 1 day

BFP #2 10.15.12 EDD 6.28.13 c/p 10.19.12 at  4 weeks.

BFP #3 1.19.13 EDD 10.1.13 Eleanor born 10.7.13 at 40 weeks 6 days

13dpo hcg@32, progesterone@13.7, 15dpo hcg@110, 16dpo progesterone@25.9

My blog:Urban Times in Michigan ~ My Bfp Chart

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    kelle017kelle017 member
    edited July 2014
    @quartermisses My best friend was in kstan too.  
    I'm pretty sure I sent tampons at some point (forgot to add that to my pp)

R&K married 4.15.11. TTC #1 since 7.11.12

BFP #1 9.9.12 EDD 5.21.13 c/p 9.12.12 at 4 weeks 1 day

BFP #2 10.15.12 EDD 6.28.13 c/p 10.19.12 at  4 weeks.

BFP #3 1.19.13 EDD 10.1.13 Eleanor born 10.7.13 at 40 weeks 6 days

13dpo hcg@32, progesterone@13.7, 15dpo hcg@110, 16dpo progesterone@25.9

My blog:Urban Times in Michigan ~ My Bfp Chart

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"