Working Moms

Totally NWMR: sympathy flowers and card?

I have a professional relationship with two colleagues that has evolved into a personal one. They're wonderful and generous people who have sent gifts for our wedding and the births of each of our children. I've reciprocated by way of sending chocolates at Christmas, and the thank yous I sent were all sent in a personal context, not professional (i.e., I sent them from my home address to their home address). I am also Facebook friends with the husband and have been kicking his a$$ at Words with Friends for about 2 years now.

Her father just passed away rather suddenly. It's not unusual for my company to send condolences via cards and flowers, but I'm wondering if I should send them personally. What do you think? Nothing - just work condolences? Or flowers and a card? Or just a card?
One boy (11.26.12) and one girl (2.28.14)

Re: Totally NWMR: sympathy flowers and card?

• groovygrlgroovygrl member
    edited July 2014
    I would def send a card but I personally would donate to whatever the indicated charity is instead of sending flowers. You get so many flowers during that time and the really big arrangements that are so pretty At the funeral are so expensive. Another idea is something a little later, like food but a week or two after the funeral, as that is when all of the support and ppl bringing food and whatnot kind of dies down but it is nice to get a little something at that point. When my father passed away, a friend of mine sent an assortment of scones and fancy breakfast things to me a few weeks later and it was such a n ice surprise.
  • There's no charity indicated, but a food/care basket in a week or two sounds like a fantastic idea.
    One boy (11.26.12) and one girl (2.28.14)
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, something personal from you would be appropriate.
  • ccamccam member
    I would definitely send something personal, at least a card. 

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• I would definitely send a card and some flowers.

mean_girls_35345Image and video hosting by TinyPic         PAL Sep challenge George Takei image
    Started dating in 5/9/05, Married 6/25/11
    Started TTC Feb 2013, BFP #1 3/4/13 EDD 11/10/13. MMC 4/9/13 D&C 4/22/13.
    BFP #2 7/17/13, EDD 3/29/14 ended in a CP on 7/22/13.
    BFP#3 8/19/13 EDD 5/3/14 Nerdling was born 4/29/14, welcome little one!
     All AL welcome.

image   Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I would send a card without a doubt and I would either make a donation to the charity that they ask or send an edible arrangement or something like that to her house (if the funeral will be in the area as you're always having people in and out of your home). 
  • I would probably send flowers and even go to the funeral if it was in our area.

\image  image

• I always make sure to send a card with a personal note and I try to at least attend the visitation if possible.  As for flowers, I don't normally do that, but if I were very close to the person I would donate money.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"