August 2014 Moms

Should I be worried--preeclampsia???

kareik01kareik01 member
edited July 2014 in August 2014 Moms

So I posted a picture of my swollen feet on my facebook today to show my friends. One of my friends asked how my BP is because that's what her feet looked like when she was diagnosed with preeclampsia. I'd looked into preeclampsia in the past but I didn't really think anything of it because I never noticed anything more than the swelling.

Well after this friend asked that, I became interested. So I found the website preeclampsia.org to get more information. I went to the S&S for preeclampsia page and now I'm terrified. Not only do I have the pitting edema in my feet, at my last appointment I had gained about 5 pounds in the 2 week period since the appointment before, I have had an intermittent pain in my right shoulder/shoulder blade (basically feels like my back needs to pop right under my bra line), and a few days ago I had a spell where I had little flashing lights pass over my eyes for a few minutes (hasn't happened again). These things are all listed under symptoms!

Am I overreacting? Are these coincidences?

I don't have high blood pressure, or didn't at my last appointment anyway, but I also hadn't started swelling so bad at my last appointment 2 weeks ago. And they've never said anything about protein in the urine.

I have another appointment tomorrow, do I need to calm down and wait until then and tell them my concerns, or do I need to call today? The office closes in just over an hour and I'm more than an hour away, so I don't know what the best idea is! 

Please help me!

Re: Should I be worried--preeclampsia???

• deep breath.  All those symptoms are common normal pregnancy symptoms too.  You can always take your bp at walgreens on their little machines if you are concerned.  I gained 8 pounds in one week if it makes you feel better and I don't have any pre-e symptoms.  It was all water weight from the weekend.  Next week I went in, I had dropped most of it and wasn't as puffy at the docs office.  I would think your doc would mention something wrong with your urine.  If something doesn't feel right then call the doc and see what they say.

photo 63d081b2-beb9-4486-ae4e-de648860b72c_zpsa8e37ee8.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I have a call in to the doctors office...no doctor or nurse was available to talk to so they'll call me back shortly I hope.

I hate how the lady who takes the messages makes me feel like a fool for calling anytime I have a question or concern. Isn't that what she's there for? :(
  • It's good you called. I had all those same things...pitting edema (feet, belly and hands!), saw stars, headache, rapid weight gain. When I went in for my appt, my bp was borderline so they sent me to get monitored. After an afternoon at L&D, everything is fine (at least so far). But I'm glad I went in. Best of luck!
  • I went to the doctor yesterday. BP definitely isn't high...in fact it's rather low. 90/40. I was slightly concerned when I heard that, but they didn't seem to think it was anything to worry about.

They must not suspect preeclampsia because no one said anything about it at the appointment. Guess I need to just stop worrying

• My BP has been completely normal since day 1...however, I noticed less movement yesterday and a sharp pain in my right upper abdominal area which can be signs of severe pre-e. They had me come in so they could check baby HB and my BP...both were completely normal. The midwife said over and over again "Even though your BP is ALWAYS fine, ALWAYS call us if you experience these symptoms. Its not a waste of our time our yours to be sure"...

Thanks for that....it makes me feel much better. I like my doctor and the office, but I honestly feel like they think I'm silly for worrying. I can't help it, this is my first time :(

I'm considering going to the midwife in my doctor's office for our next baby just because she seemed more like your midwife...more personable and, quite honestly, I think being a woman helps with empathizing with expectant mothers!
  • I think calling was a good idea, but I would also say not to panic. At this point in pregnancy, most women start seeing more swelling, and with the temperatures being so hot, it's just not that crazy that you would be retaining water. If your BP has been fine and the swelling is your main issue, I think you are probably fine, but always better safe than sorry with possible pre-e. I had to call my doctor's office yesterday because of blurred vision and headache (felt like a migraine coming), and the nurse said she was fairly certain it was due to water retention and sinuses swelling (plus not enough sleep the past few nights). She had me take some tylenol and drink a little caffeine, and it helped tremendously. I've also gained more the past week than I have the past several months combined, and I know it's because I'm retaining water.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I think calling was a good idea, but I would also say not to panic. At this point in pregnancy, most women start seeing more swelling, and with the temperatures being so hot, it's just not that crazy that you would be retaining water. If your BP has been fine and the swelling is your main issue, I think you are probably fine, but always better safe than sorry with possible pre-e. I had to call my doctor's office yesterday because of blurred vision and headache (felt like a migraine coming), and the nurse said she was fairly certain it was due to water retention and sinuses swelling (plus not enough sleep the past few nights). She had me take some tylenol and drink a little caffeine, and it helped tremendously. I've also gained more the past week than I have the past several months combined, and I know it's because I'm retaining water.
    I've put on 8 pounds in the last month. I know I don't eat healthy and I'll never act like I do, but certainly not any different than pre-pregnancy, so I know the weight has to be coming from somewhere else and I'm saying water weight too. I hadn't gained 2 pounds in the last year pre-pregnancy with my diet, let alone 2 pounds a week.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"