July 2014 Moms

Tongue Tied

Well I finally got in with a LC today. She said my baby is extremely lip and tongue tied. I'm irritated with the hospital nurses and her pediatrician for not looking for it. Especially since she isn't gaining weight.
Anyways, any other babies have this? Did you get it clipped? What was the procedure like?

Re: Tongue Tied

• abrazzabrazz member

Both my sons were tongue tied and they just clipped it quickly in the office with a tiny pair of scissors.  There was a little bit of blood and then it completely healed within a week.  I am not familiar with the lip part of it though.  My family doctor doesn't even look for it.  I just noticed it when they were crying and mentioned it at the appointment.  They both nursed better after the procedure. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• DD had a tongue tie and luckily the LC in the hospital caught it right away (even when the Ped and nurses didn't). We had it clipped and it was the easiest procedure. They used a small tool to push the tongue to the roof of the mouth, waited for her to cry so her mouth would open all the way, and clipped the tie with scissors. She didn't cry after it was done and there were a couple drops of blood and by the next day she was nursing great.

• Loading the player...
  • We had it done last week. I held the baby on my lap and the dr clipped it (no numbing). The whole process took about 3 seconds and my daughter has cried harder during a diaper change. She nursed right after and has been doing really well since.
  • I'm hoping nursing will get better. This puts me at ease a little. I had read online sometimes it's has to be done under general sedation. They told me to bring her in hungry so she can eat afterwards. Thanks for the reassurance.
  • We just got done with our two week follow up from tongue and lip tie fixing.
    The LC caught the lip tie, pediatric dentist caught the tongue tie.
    The dentist used a water jet 'laser' to cut the membranes. It bled for maybe five minutes, and he was done crying before then. Nursing and bottle drinking improved immediately.
    Dentist had us 'stretch' under the lip and tongue to keep the membranes from closing up, for ten days
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Glad you got an answer! Good luck I hope all goes well!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"