April 2014 Moms

This girl will NOT take the bottle...or sleep

I'm going crazy y'all.  About 3-4 weeks ago I posted thinking we were in the 4 month sleep regression. Ha.  I'm laughing at myself now because that was nothing compared to now.  The longest stretch we're getting from LO right now is 3 hours. 3. Hours.  And its from 7-10...so...I'm still awake. Ugh.  I'm planning to reread Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child (read it with my first) but not do any sort of sleep training until 5 or 6 months.  And also, what is your best kept secret to get the kid to take a bottle??  We've tried everything: other people, different times of the day, every bottle and nipple imagineable, different holds, different rooms, different bibs, in her car seat/bouncy seat, me being totally away from the house, all milk, all formula, half and half, a little formula a lot of milk, a lot of formula a little milk, etc.  If there's even a hint of formula in it (tried different brands, too) she won't even mess with the bottle. I go back to work in 10 days, not only do I need her on the bottle but she's got to have formula, too (I can only pump 1x/day at work so supplementing is going to be necessary).  HELP!  What do I do with this girl?!  Send her back??
imageimage
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: This girl will NOT take the bottle...or sleep

• We went from 11 hours of sleep to 2-3 hour stints this week too. Sucking big. As far as the bottle goes, this LO took it no problem but I could not get my son to take one ever. Luckily I had a year mat leave so never had to force the issue. Sorry to be a downer this morning. That's what no sleep gets you.
  • 3 hours at this age is still totally normal. I know it seems like all the other babies are sleeping big long stretches or through the night, but that's because those nights get posted about while the rest of us are bitter to still be up so often. ;) I count myself as lucky if I get a solid 3 hour stretch from DD, and DS didn't give me more than 2 hours until around 6 months. As far as the bottles go, some kids need to go to daycare and be forced to eat what is provided. I know someone's LO in here basically refused to drink all day and then nursed like a fiend in the evenings to make up for it (can't remember who). It's not fun at all, but you've tried all the tricks I can think of. Maybe just pick one and be consistent with it for 3 or 4 days?
    The issue is she used to only wake up once or twice a night, up until just a few weeks ago.  If she'd been only doing 3 hour stretches this whole time I wouldn't feel so lost, kwim?  I think this is definitely the 4 month regression and I just have to wait it out and that's ok, just annoying! :)
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • I know it's not what you want to hear, but be happy you got that previous stretch of good sleep and that's about all you can do. We've been 2-3 hours stretches since birth with maybe three 4 hour stretches thrown in in the past two months, so I hear you on the chronic sleep deprivation, but babies' schedules change constantly and hopefully we'll all be getting more sleep soon haha. I got nothing on the bottle other than I imagine she'll eventually use it as a last resort when she's hungry. :( sorry.
  • I'm sure you have but have you tried different temps for the bottle? I was surprised to find my LO liked Luke warm to room temp. Does your LO take a nuk? If so maybe find a nipple similar to the nuk? I let my LO suck on and play with just the nipple to the tommy tippy bottle before introducing the bottle with milk. He took to that one right away. You can also try warming the nipple so it's more like you, and have the bottle giver wear your shirt so your scent is there. I also did the bottle the first few times about an hour after I fed him so he wasn't starving and frustrated. That's all I can think of right now. Good luck!
  • Ughhhhhh I'm in the same situation. My child is an absolute nightmare right now and he's not even 4 months. Last night was really rough. Please dear god I hope this gets better soon..
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • No advice but I feel your pain. My kid is sleeping like crap and won't take a bottle either. I have tried every single one they make and every trick in the book.
  • Ughh I know there's no real answer for the sleep- my son didn't sleep more than a 2 maaaaaybe 3 hours stretch until 10.5 months old, so, been there done that!  I think the bottle is the more pressing issue.  I have tried different temps and multiple different nipple types.  I mean, once she's with the nanny I guess she'll realize its bottle or nothing!
    imageimage
  • My LO refused a bottle for waaaay too long. I finally had to have a battle of wills with him. I would not give him the boob- he had to take the bottle. It took a long time, constant jiggling, but eventually he figured it out. Prior to that I was offering a bottle twice a day and had no luck. He literally would not take it until he had no other choice.

BFP: 7/5/10   EDD: 3/13/11  Miscarriage 8/1/10 at 8 weeks

BFP: 10/30/10   EDD: 7/7/11   Born 7/11//11 7lb12oz, 20 in.

BFP: 7/30/13  EDD: 4/9/14 Born right on time on his due date! 8lb10oz, 21.5 in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

• katychessherkatychessher member
    edited July 2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"