2nd Trimester

just found out im expecting twins!

Had a question, at 14 weeks i just found out i am expecting twins, i delivered my now 3 year old natural/vaginally, no meds nothing. I know i should talk to my doctor about this and i have an appointment next week but what are my chances of delivering naturally again with twins? I am keeping in mind that both i and the babies have to be healthy in order to avoid a c section. How can i increase my chances or what are somethings i can do to maintain that open window. ive read that going to the chiropracator to get adjusted helps your babies to desend into the right position but is there any truth to this? I just want to hear from experienced mothers, please keep your negavite comments to yourself. Im just trying to learn as much as i can and it caught me by complete surprise.

Re: just found out im expecting twins!

• My cousin just had her twins via c section today. She already has a 2 year old which she gave birth to vaginally. Her drs told her that the only way they'd let her try a vaginal delivery was if the bottom baby was head down. Even then they'd have her deliver in an OR just in case there was an emergency. Hope this helps. Your OB will obviously have better info for you.
  • BdblZBdblZ member
    I had a friend who delivered her twins vaginally with no issues. But of course, everyone is different, and you should discuss this with your doc. 
  • Loading the player...
  • ss265ss265 member
    My chiropractor swears that manipulation helps with delivery but I ended up having a C-section anyway. :) You can always try it but don't assume that it will have the outcome you want.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would look into it with other moms who have tried. I know a mom who insisted on trying, and then ended up having 1 vaginally and needed a c section will the other and her recovery was hell. So, I would look into all options

• I tried. I had Baby A head down so I was told you can try as long as that is the case. Baby B was transverse. At 34 weeks my doc pulled the plug because the liability was too great. I was furious, upset and tried to find a new doctor at 34 weeks (not easy). I ended up conceeding to the c-section because they scared me with talk of how an emergency c-section instead of planned would be so much worse. To this day I am SO thankful I had the c-section and listened to my doctor. Baby A would have been born vaginally but Baby B had the cord wrapped 5 times around his neck. He would have been strangled coming out of the birth canal. I would have had to have the emergency c-section AFTER delivering Baby A vaginally. So I would have had to recover from both ways and well as run the risk of something terrible happening to my Baby B. Of course this is just my story and plenty of women deliver twins vaginally every day. But my doctor refused to do it (as many do these days) and I am so glad that their "worst case" scenarios scared me enough to listen, because it actually happened. Do what is best for you and your family (and your doctors advice) but if I had it to do over again, I am living proof that c-section saved my baby.

Pregnancy Ticker

Joanna (30) Michael (31) 
    Twin sons born June 2009 after 1 Year ART, 
    Anthony and Brandon 6/25/09 
    Trying for #3 for 2 years
    IUI #10- BFP! m/c 2/23/2014 

• I'm currently 37 weeks with twins. My baby A has been head down since 28 weeks and B flipped down about two weeks ago.

I believe the numbers are about 50/50 for vaginal vs c-section delivery of twins. Most obs will allow vaginal delivery with both babies head down (and the caveat that baby a is bigger than baby b, the only literature I could find on sz discrepancy said b could be up to 25% bigger before most obs would decline). You really don't have control over babies' positions, so your best hope is to find an ob experienced with breech birth (meaning a is head down and then b is turned or delivered breech).

Good luck!
  • I know a few people that have delivered naturally.  I don't know if your doctor can even really say for sure this far out. I think it depends on how they are positioned when it comes time to delivery.  Talk to your doctor.  Obviously he or she has more experience in this but I think if you want to have that as your goal, they will help you understand it all.  Good luck and CONGRATS

• I dont have much in the way of advice but my DH is a twin. His mom delivered him and his brother naturally/ vaginally even after having a c section with their older brother.
  • The birth mother for the twins my brother and SIL are adopting just went through this. For her the dr said so long as both babies are head down she could deliver vaginally, however baby B was breach so a c-section was necessary. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"