October 2014 Moms
Options

Stopping contractions

Justabean3Justabean3 member
edited July 2014 in October 2014 Moms
All the pre-term/labor/false labor scares have me wondering

How do they decide when to give meds to stop contractions and when do they just ride them out?

Anyone know?

Re: Stopping contractions

• Options
    Not sure but from my experience I was leaking amniotic fluid and had a rupture so doctor said once labor came he wouldn't stop it meaning contractions
  • Options
    The doctor last night lead me to believe that if she had seen changes in my cervix or if the contractions were getting stronger and closer together that we would have to consider medication to stop labor.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Like PP suggested, I think meds are given immediately if your contractions are causing you to progress early (effacement or dilation), or if the initial measures of IV fluids, rest, etc., don't work.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I'm having twins but yesterday my MFM said they would not stop labor after 34 weeks. Before that they would try procardia pills, bed rest, hospital rest, etc.
    ---------------Siggy Warning--------------------

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    Me: 32, DH: 34  / TTC since February 2011 / SA: all normal, HSG: all clear! / on Lovenox for anticardiolipid antibodies
    4 IUIs with Clomid, Letrozole, and Menopur. All BFN.
    9/12: lap / hysteroscopy: found and removed mild endometriosis, cervical polyp, and 2 para-tubular cysts
    5/13 IVF #1: Follistim, Menopur, Ganirelix, 10R/4M/4F, ET of 2, 5 cell and 4 cell, no frosties = BFN
    12/13 IVF #2 = November / December 2013. Microdose Lupron Protocol: 15R/6M/6F, Froze all 6 due to high E2 and P4
    FET 1: Jan 22, 2014 of one 4AB blast and one 3BB blast (3 blasts on ice!)
    BFP on HPT 4dp5dt, Beta #1 9dp5dt: 310, Beta #2 11dp5dt: 899
    First u/s on 2/17/14: TWINS!!!!! both w/HBs of 114 at 6w3d, HBs 150 and 152 at 7w5d

5/27/2014: Team purple!!!!  EDD 10/10/2014 / 
    Delivered by c-section at 32w0d 8/15/2014 due to preeclampsia/HELLP syndrome
    Baby Boy 4lbs 1oz, 17 inches
    Baby Girl 3lbs 5oz, 16 inches

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Just from my experience last night in L&D... I was having contactions and shortened cervix, however by the end of the night the contractions slowed and weren't as painful.  Had they become more frequent, regular and stronger the Dr. was going to put me on meds to stop them. Since they slowed on their own, I was discharged without any intervention.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"