December 2013 Moms

S/O all the sleep polls, need advice

I did them because I was curious. not to sleep shame any babies.
 I'm struggling here with sleep and need ideas. Baby goes to sleep around 6:30, wakes before 6 (today 5:45 so not too bad), two naps for around 2.5 hours total. He is getting enough sleep but Im not. he wakes up 2x per night and wants to nurse. we did CIO to nap and bed time train with great success, he fusses for 5 minutes and falls asleep. Sleep books I read said nursing up to 2x a nine months is not uncommon. I know i may have to just suck it up but any ideas? I cant put him to bed later because he is a mess by then. If I put him down at 5, he is awake by 5am. He doesn't want to nap in the afternoon. 
DD was/is an early riser. she also didnt STTN until 15 months. and it was hard. 
I think i need to break the nurse to sleep habit. 
second question on loveys: DS seems to like his A&A blanket. but I left it in once and it was tangled around him. I worry he will strangle himself. Moms whose babies have blankets what do you do?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: S/O all the sleep polls, need advice

• What time is he waking at night?  I suppose you could try to go down to one feeding, but I agree that two feedings isn't really abnormal.  I assume you've tried soothing him without feeding?  Have you tried sending your DH in to soothe in the MOTN?  What time are his daytime naps?

The Healthy Sleep Habits book recommends not going to the baby if they wake before 6am (not talking about MOTN feedings, but waking at like 5:45am like you said) as baby will keep getting up earlier and earlier to be with you.  They recommend leaving them in their crib until after 6am.  This is what I've been doing when Simon wakes at 5:45am some days. 

Otherwise, only think I can say is that you need to go to bed earlier.  :|

I'm no help on the blanket issue.  We don't give Simon anything in his crib.  I asked the Pedi about it at his 6 mo appt, and she said nothing in the crib for a while (for the exact reason you mentioned -- they can get wrapped up in it and can't unwrap themself).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm in the same boat with sleep. Like exact times and everything....except Logan naps 3-4 hrs per day. This week though we're back to 3-4 times per night.

I'm worried that if we cut out the night musings, my supply will suffer so we haven't changed anything, but I need to not be so exhausted at work

No advice, just saying you're not alone! :-)
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks @boothbaby. Ill try ignoring until 6. He wakes at 10 &2 or 12 &4.

• serendserend member

I'm in the same boat with sleep. Like exact times and everything....except Logan naps 3-4 hrs per day. This week though we're back to 3-4 times per night.

I'm worried that if we cut out the night musings, my supply will suffer so we haven't changed anything, but I need to not be so exhausted at work

No advice, just saying you're not alone! :-)

This is us as well. Some regression is apparently normal with all of the milestones right now. Here's hoping it is short lived for all of us :)
  • My pedi said that babies are programmed to get their calories in the same way every day and they know when they get all the calories they need. So if she's getting calories at night, she won't eat more during the day because she knows she can get more later. So she recommended making sure she eats every 3 hours during the day and to gradually shorten the night feedings.

As for early morning wake ups, try not feeding until the time you would like wake up to be. Like for us, she was waking at 5:30 but we wouldn't feed her until 7 and now she wakes after 7, sometimes 8 everyday.

We need to work on MOTN feedings. I'm becoming chronically sleep deprived. Last night she only woke twice though!! Improvement!!
  • I agree about the whole calories thing. Not sure how much you feed during the day, but I feed LO every 2/2.5 hours during the day, not because she seems hungry, but just to make sure she gets enough calories during daytime hours. She nurses for the last time at 6:45pm, & I pump a couple hours later before I go to bed. Then each night after our last nursing session I also give her that bottle of pumped milk to "top her off" before bed.

If I also count that as a feeding then she gets 7 feedings during the day. She could definitely go longer between feedings, & sometimes honestly doesn't seem very hungry for them, but ANY time I've tried cutting out one of those feedings she will then wake to eat in the MOTN. So maybe try feeding more often/more oz (I can't remember if you're home to nurse or have to pump at work) during the day to fill her up. Then if she wakes just out of habit you can try other comfort measures.

As for a blanket/lovey, my LO has both. She doesn't always stay in the same spot now so the blanket doesn't get used as much (it is tucked in the mattress on one side), but she LOVES her lovey. I wouldn't worry about something so small, & they can be a great comfort measure. Maybe introduce one to your LO.
  • S/O lovies and blankets. The only blanket Kahlan is currently attached to is an open weave crochet blanket. Is that okay? (I've never actually put it in her crib, she just loves the damn thing)
  • Lurker, but my son LOVES this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000WFPWUQ?pc_redir=1406609769&robot_redir=1

It's pretty small - he couldn't get tangled up - so I've felt safe giving it to him.

FWIW, I'm still up at least once a night to feed him and he has a similar schedule to your LO.

Kid #1: Two years old
    Kid #2: Due Date 11/16/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I found an A&A security blanket. $15 on amzn. i paid for one day shipping. this might help. 

• Thanks everyone! I am going to try the lovey blanket, not go in to him until 6am, and try and shorten MOTn feeds. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"