October 2014 Moms
Options

Midwife vs. OB - Question for STM

I am seriously considering switching to a midwife if my placenta previa clears. I had never really considered this before and so I don't know anything about what the differences between working with a midwife vs. an OB. I am trying to inform myself and I am wondering if anybody has any resources or stories they are willing to share about working with a midwife vs. an OB?

Thank you in advance for any guidance or advice.

Re: Midwife vs. OB - Question for STM

• Options
    Emerald27Emerald27 member
    edited July 2014
    I switched to a MW, though I had a natural birth friendly OB before. He stopped delivering at the hospital I want, so I needed to switch and wanted to find a provider who would work closely with me and get to know ME, who was very concerned with helping me have the birth experience I'm hoping for, and for whom my birth preferences are standard. I've found that in the MW practice I chose!

So far, appts are just about the same, though the MW has taken a bit more time to get to know me than the OB did. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    erawka said:
    There was a thread not too long ago on this. It didn't come up when I searched for it, so I went all OCD until I found it:

https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12382211/switch-to-midwife-dh-thinks-i-m-crazy#latest

My 2 cents in this discussion, assuming that you're low risk, is usually to the tune of "choose the person, not the role."

GL =)
    Thank you!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have a MW and an OB. I live too far from a hospital (attempting vbac) to have a home birth and my MW can't deliver in a hospital so I have a vbac friendly OB. I'm doing the majority of my care with the MW and doing periodical appts with the OB. I like the personalized care of a MW, the appt setting is more relaxed and she's not constantly weighing me or having me pee in a cup. And the wait it always 10minutes or less.
    If youre low risk, I'd say MW is a good option. And as pp stated, its about the person not necessarily OB vs MW.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker

BFP#1 DS 1/19/12  BFP#2 EDD 6/11/14 MC 10/9/12 BFP#3 EDD 10/3/14

• Options
    I just finished the book "Pushed" and it gave a good overall depiction of the difference in care.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I've had both and like the MW better because there is more attention on you as a patient during visits and they try to be less invasive during deliveries. However, I agree that it's also based on the person... there are some OBs who are great at educating their patients and some MWs who are not, and other way around. 

Are you in a practice that allows you to switch from OB to MW? Or would you be switching to a new practice? I made the switch between practices at 24 weeks for my 28 week appointment and had to get approval by one of the doctors to be accepted, so if you are thinking of switching, I'd make a decision and appointment ASAP, or you might be too late to be accepted by a new practice. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    I agree about picking the person and not the role. I'm seeing a team of midwives but there are great OB's with hearts and philosophies close to midwife roles. There are also midwives that take on roles like an OB. I would go with the person that shares your birthing philosophy and that you feel comfortable with!

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"