Breastfeeding
Options

Had to stop BF and now starting again. Advice please

Hello,

This is my first post to this board. Thanks in advance for your advice!

My little guy was born July 9th/14. We started bf in the hospital and continued when we got home. It took some practice, but we eventually got the hang of it. Unfortunately, I landed back in the hospital with bilateral pneumonia and a leaky heart valve on July 17th and was in for 5 days. During those 5 days I didn't BF or pump. I am back home now and sadly cannot BF because of the medication I am on but I have been pumping for 15-20 mins per breast (and then dumping) to try to increase my supply. 

Here is my issue:

I think my milk has almost dried up. When I pump, I barely get anything....like barely enough to cover the bottom of the bottle. I have been pumping twice a day for the last few days and still have yet to see an increase. 

Can anyone offer any advice to increase my milk supply? 

Re: Had to stop BF and now starting again. Advice please

• Options
    Kelly mom has some good info. What you are doing is relactating.

https://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/relactation/

You will need to pump way more often than you are right now. Twice a day is not going to do anything. You should be pumping a minimum of once every two hours. Make sure you have a good double electric pump. Renting a hospital grade pump would be recommended. Make sure you are using a pumping bra and doing breast compressions.

Make sure you are getting plenty or food and water.

Try to do skin to skin with the baby, see if the baby will nurse/comfort suck.

Kelly mom is a great resource.

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Options
    Twice a day? You need to be pumping every 3 hours, around the clock.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"