Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Sleep

DS is 19 months. Around 9 months we sleep trained him using Ferber. The only positive that came out of it was that he started STTN. He has continued to cry for around 10 minutes, sometime longer, until he falls asleep. We have talked to our pedi 3 or 4 times and he assures us that it's normal, DS is old enough to manipulate us, and we need to set those boundaries. However, about a month ago, I decided I couldn't take the crying anymore and started rocking him to sleep, again. It worked for a couple nights until he figured out he could buy time by pointing and playing instead of settling in and letting me rock him. So, I started laying him down and laying beside his crib while I rubbed his back until he fell asleep. My hope was to eventually work my way further and further from his crib until he'd fall to sleep and not need me in the room. This has backfired totally because 1) DS either plays or he falls into a restless sleep and tosses and turns. I think because he's figured out that he'll wake up and I'll be gone. 2) DS has totally stopped STTN. He now wakes up at least twice and needs me to lay with him until he falls asleep. I'm exhausted and DS is beyond exhausted and is a mess. I'm torn because I'm so tired of the crying every night at bedtime, but waking up multiple times a night isn't working, especially with DH deployed and I'm doing it all alone. At the same time, I also don't feel like I should just sit and watch him while he plays for 30 minutes in his crib. The crying makes me feel guilty, like I'm abandoning him. At the same time, I don't feel like me staying in his room is doing him any favors either. I guess I'm just seeking advice...any advice!

Re: Sleep

• Options
    I'm curious about the advice others on this board will give you.  We're struggling with much the same thing except my 17 month old daughter is awake for HOURS each night!  Last night was 11:30-4.  My husband and I are zombies.  I'm to the point where I want to put her in her crib and let her sort it out, but it makes me sick to think that I'm even considering it.  I hear there's an 18 month sleep regression.  If that's what this is, it's kicking our tails.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'd let him cry.  Your being in his room at bedtime is negatively affecting his sleep.  His crying for a few minutes before he falls asleep is not.  His crying sounds like a problem for you not him so I'd figure out a way to deal with it and leave him alone.  I'd put on headphones for 10 mins after I put him to bed each night if I needed.

FWIW I think the crying is very normal.  There are frequently posts about kids still crying before they fall asleep or crying when they wake no matter what.  My DD was the latter.  She cried at every wake up till she was like 2.5.  One day she just stopped.  I wouldn't worry.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    i agree that you have to let cry. I just did that last night with my 18 month old because he had a sleep regression after being sick and he would call for mommy every 2 hours!! either he would say water or milk or trying to get out of the crib! he cried for 20 minutes and then slept until 7!!!
  • Options

This. Luckily DS hasn't cried before bed for a really long time but it broke my heart as well, especially as he got older and was more aware of what was going on. I would put DS in bed, rub his head, say good night and leave the room. If he was still crying after 10 minutes, I would go back in and rub his head again, reassure him that I was there and then leave the room again.

You can either just stay out of the room all together, or do "checks" but whatever you do, be 100% consistent night after night or your LO will just be confused. GL.

THIS!

With everything we do DD knows the ritual. She knows after dinner is bath, after bath is lotion, after lotion is book, after book is bed. When i read the last page of the book she will tell us night night and give hugs and kisses. When i put her in the brib we have another ritual where i turn on the fan and her music and each of her stuffed animals in the crib gives her a kiss. I would rather take an extra 2 minutes with tucking in then worrying all evening. Granted if she looses her paci at any point in the night and cant find it she will cry until one of us makes it to her. So we have been working on her communication skills here and she will say uhoh if she cant find it. we will just scrounge one up and she is good to go!

Children/toddlers/infants are really good at manipulation so as long as you are teaching your LO that you have a purpose to be in there other than the crying (ie finding out why the crying is happening) then LO should communicate with you. Of course this happens at different ages, but its never too early to start the teaching process! Just remember you are doing a great job!!!!

• Options
    Pattycakes3Pattycakes3 member
    edited July 2014
    I swear I should be a spokeswoman for this baby item- and I can't tell you enough how well this thing has worked with my 2 babies (5mo and 19mo), me and my brothers when we were younger, and others in our family!!  
    Try getting a baby sheepskins for your LO to sleep on. Mine were given as a gifts from IKEA and it's a little more than $25. It's breathable, so if that's a concern, no need to worry. My 5mo old rolls over and sleeps on his stomach in the middle of the night, and I don't have to worry about him not being able to breathe. He nuzzles into this and plays with the softness of the fur. My 19mo old girl can sleep absolutely anywhere (relative's house, car, etc) as long as she has this to lay on (or now under sometimes, lol). It's like the most comforting thing EVER for them! Promise. Check out Amazon reviews for a similar product- but IKEA still sells a less expensive one. :) 

Happy sleeping!
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies! It's nice to know I'm not alone! It's also nice to be reassured that I'm not messing my son up for life! Thanks, again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"