September 2014 Moms

Low Iron

I searched and can't seem to find a thread on this.  If there is one please send me the link.

My bloodwork came back with low iron.  I have to take an iron supplement.   I was wondering for those that take them what time of day you take it?  It says take an hour before food but I eat small meals all day so that's impossible. I'm just looking for the least amount of side effects obviously.  The doctor said it can cause constipation and I already take Miralax for that - lovely.

TIA!

Re: Low Iron

• I had low iron also and take a liquid supplement called Floradix. It's only 10ml twice a day and I just take it before I eat something and that varies..n o side affects at all.
    imageimage
  • My doctor advised me to take the slow-release iron after a meal and with orange juice (vitamin C helps your body absorb the iron). She said to not take it with my regular prenatal vitamin or any calcium supplements because calcium can inhibit your body's ability to absorb iron. So, I take it after breakfast because I usually have heart-burn later in the day and take Tums for that. I switched taking my prenatal from noon to 7pm to give the iron plenty of time to get processed. The slow-release iron can help you avoid constipation.
  • Loading the player...
  • I take my prenatal vitamin that contains iron in the morning then I tske my iron supplement at night with a small snack before I go to bed ... I don't take them on an empty stomach as recommended cuz it caused me to have awful stomach cramps ... It's recommended not to take iron with dairy as it can slow the absorption of iron
  • I take my iron in the morning, usually with a glass of OJ (like PP said Vitamin C helps the iron absorb in your body), and a bagel.  It's not a real meal but like you said I normally have small stuff all during the day, but I never take it on an empty stomach.  I take the prenatal at night with dinner.  I have been trying to eat more red meat but it's not something I really like.  I got an OTC iron that was a low dose because I was just below the acceptable iron level and didn't want to cause constipation.  Also it was cheaper LOL.  I haven't had any issues thus far with constipation prior to the iron pill and now that I've been on the iron pill (about a month) I haven't noticed a difference. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have had to take an iron supplement since about 25 weeks, I usually take it at night after my nightly small bowl of cereal with my prenatal gummies and probiotic. No issues so far with constipation either, I swear by my probiotic (Culturelle) for solving all my digestion issues!
    BabyFetus Ticker

• If you drink tea, decrease the amount of it that you drink bc it interferes with iron absorption. I have to take my iron with something bland and no calcium. Like PPs said calcium interferes with absorption too. And eat extra proteins and green leafy veggies like spinach.
  • Ecat504Ecat504 member
    edited July 2014
    I take an iron supplement pill. I usually take it right after dinner (7/8PM). And I take my prenatals around 8 AM. If I take them too close they make me sick. Also, I don't know if you drink tea but my doctor told me to stay away from teas cause they lower your iron too or something like that, (I don't really remember why, just that she said ease up on my tea intake). And green leafy veggies (since it's summer I've been eating sweet salads and they're so yummy and an amazing summer snack. I'll post a link to the one I eat)

https://m.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/spinach-and-strawberry-salad?__federated=1

Then I add in some extra berries (usually some chopped blueberries, but I'm sure whatever would work) I also throw in brocolli, cucumbers, romaine lettuce, beet roots, etc (whatever I have in the house usually) and put some poppy seed dressing
    over it! It's so yummy!! :)

Eta: because poppyseed dressing is delicious, poopy seed is probably not.
    ECat504
    SO
    SD (11/2010)
    DD1 (09/2014)
    DD2 (10/2015)
    Baby Girl #4 (11/2020)
  • I was just told to take my iron supplement at a different time as my prenatal and antibiotics. And to increase the vitamin C I get.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• During my last round of blood work my doctor let me know that at that point I was borderline anemic. She said my numbers were at a point where I wouldn't need supplements, but to try to eat more iron-rich foods more often. Some things she recommended were different kinds of beans, tofu, potatoes, healthy cuts of beef, chicken, etc., cereals with iron, nuts, etc. There are lots of foods that have higher iron content that you can easily incorporate more of into your diet.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I've got this problem too and need to take a supplement 3x a day.  I was struggling with this too because all I do is and my stomach is almost never empty.

I take one as soon as I get up with a glass of OJ so it has time to absorb before I have breakfast.  I always take one right before bed, usually I haven't had anything to eat for a few hours.  I take the 3rd one before lunch or mid afternoon, just depends on my food intake that day.  Oh I have been taking stool softeners here and there to help combat the constipation.  GL!
  • Wow, thanks everyone!!  My doctor also told me to increase red meat and spinach to help the iron increase more naturally.  I started doing that too.  I'll look into slow release and take it with OJ.  I do drink tea but not enough that it should effect anything (like maybe once a week).

Thanks again!
  • If you drink tea, decrease the amount of it that you drink bc it interferes with iron absorption. I have to take my iron with something bland and no calcium. Like PPs said calcium interferes with absorption too. And eat extra proteins and green leafy veggies like spinach.
    This is only the case with teas that contain tannins...such as black teas and some green. You're ok with teas like rooibos and herbals :-)
    {Me:27, Dx:PCOS, LPD, & rob(14;15)}
    {DH:31 all clear, "super sperm"}
    Ecstatically married July 30, 2011--TTC since Jan 2013:::Baby #1 due 9/11, Conceived on cycle #5 of Femara + Hcg + IUI
    ~Love and Light to everyone~ 
    image image
    My furbabies--Mr. Bubbles and Miss Kitty <3
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

image image

This is only the case with teas that contain tannins...such as black teas and some green. You're ok with teas like rooibos and herbals :-)
    Thanks I didn't know that! I was just told tea in general bc I drink sweet tea like crazy!
  • I take mine in the morning like PP stated. My OB gave me a prescription iron pill that contains vitamin c and a some kind of anti-constipation medicine.
    DD:3 | DS:1
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • After suffering with several days of bad dizzy spells my dr started me on iron for anemia. He said to make sure it was the slow release kind. So far no side effects and I take it on an empty stomach.

TTC since 2.11
    BFP #1: 3.15.11- c/p
    MTHFR Dx 6.13-Rx- folate and B12
    BFP #2: 11.9.13 -m/c Trisomy 4
    BFP #3 1.18.14 EDD 9.27.2014

• I seem to forget often so I just take it anytime I remember. I should figure out a specific time so I will remember.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
                                   DS 10/02/09  DD 03/28/11
  • I have to take double iron supplements- 2 60mg tablets. I take them spread out 1 mid-morning and 1 in the evening. I haven't had too much of an issue with constipation!
    BabyFruit Ticker  
  • I take Ferralet 90...one tablet at bedtime. The only side effect I have noticed is constipation, which I combat with Colace but have yet to find a happy medium between the two
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Gemma
    born August 31, 2014
  • I have struggled with low iron this entire pregnancy, while everything else came back normal (there are other things that can affect iron absorption, so it's possible you are getting enough iron even though your levels are low - does that make sense?). Initially, I bought just a basic supplement from the grocery store, and my iron level actually dropped more. What I found to work for me was the Garden of Life Vitamin Code Raw Iron. I take dosage as directed, first thing in the morning. It's a little spendy (I order off amazon), but has definitely provided the best results for me. Good luck to you!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • BTW - calcium inhibits the absorption of iron, so do not take it at the same time as any supplement (pre-natal vite) that contains calcium. That is why it is not advised to take when you eat. If it upsets your stomach and you need to take it with food, then make sure it doesn't contain calcium. Most OJ contains calcium so I wouldn't take it with OJ.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"