Trouble TTC
Options

PCOS and Femara Question

Hi everyone,
   I've been lurking for a while, but was recently diagnosed with PCOS after TTC for 12+ months.  After trying for 9 months I visited my OBGYN and she induced a period and I was on Clomid 50 mg for 4 cycles, in which I ovulated each time according to OPK.  My RE started me on Femara 5 mg without inducing a period first (7/22/14), on the 4th day of medication I started having dark red/rust color spotting and yesterday it turned to bright red.  I am having menstrual like cramps that started this morning as well.  I know I did not ovulate last cycle as there were only a few days in between my period ending and starting the Femara, when the RE did an ultrasound he said there were no signs of ovulation, and my blood work came back negative for ovulation.

I called the RE Friday when it started and he said break-through spotting and bleeding is normal, when I talked to him again yesterday he said to wait until my ultrasound on Wednesday to figure everything out.  Now I'm nervous I have not only wasted a month but have a possible treatment that isn't going to work.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?  Did you still ovulate with the Femara?  Thanks!
Me: 26, PCOS, Clear HSG
DH: 29, Perfectly Normal SA

Married Since 10/6/2012
TTC Since 6/2013

2/2014: Visited OB-GYN, Low Progesterone
3/2014: 50 mg Clomid, Ovulated, BFN
4/2014: 50 mg Clomid, Ovulated, BFN
5/2014: 50 mg Clomid, Ovulated, BFN
6/2014: 50 mg Clomid, Ovulated, BFN

7/2014: First RE visit, Diagnosed with PCOS, Started on 5 mg Femara + Ovidrel + TI, 1 22mm Follicle, BFN
8/2014: 5 mg Femara + Ovidrel + TI, 2 Mature Follicles, BFN
9/2014: 5 mg Femara + Ovidrel + IUI #1, 3 Mature Follicles, BFN
10/2014: 5 mg Femara + Ovidrel + IUI #2, 1 Mature Follicle, BFN
11/2014: 5 mg Femara + 75 mg Follistim + Ovidrel + IUI #3, 3 Mature Follicles, BFN
12/2014: Starting IVF in January

1/2015: IVF with ICSI, Currently Stimming

*****Everyone is Welcome*****

Re: PCOS and Femara Question

• Options
    Hi and welcome! I'm sorry you have to be here and are having difficulty.

As for your question, I'm not sure about what could be causing the spotting. Spotting can happen at various times in your cycle. One thing to note, when you were working with your OB and using OPKs it's possible you didn't ovulate if they weren't monitoring you with ultrasounds. I hope that you did, but it's hard to say for sure.

I think tomorrow you'll get more answers at your ultrasound, it's good you called to ask though! I'm on my first cycle with femara and so far it looks like I might have a good follicle or two but I'm still early in my cycle so I'll have to let you know! If it turns out tomorrow that you don't have follicles growing your RE will know what to try next. They might give you a higher dose or try a different medication. Good luck!
    ***********siggy warning **********

Me: 26 DH: 27
    TTC #1 Since Aug. 2013
    Cycle 1: O CD 25=bfn
    Cycle 2: O CD 48=bfn
    Cycle 3: Anovulatory/Provera =120 days!
    Cycle 4: Anovulatory/Prometrium=127 days! RE consult 6/16
    Me: Anov/poss. pcos?  HSG=normal/SA= Normal 
    July/Aug. 2014= Femara+trigger+TI=BFP!!
    Beta #1@ 16dpo=626!! Beta #2=1510
    Ultrasound @ 5w6d=heartbeat at 110!
    Ultrasound @ 6w6d =heartbeat at 131!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I'm sorry about the surprise bleeding you experienced. It is possible to get a period without ovulating.

I wish you the best at your ultrasound! If it turns out that this medicated month didn't quite work, I just want to encourage you that the next month your RE will be sure to get you on track. :)

To second PP, positive OPKs can show up repeatedly in women with PCOS, and not necessarily mean ovulation had occurred, just that you body was revving up with more LH. Trusting them and assuming the Clomid is working without causing any problems (i.e., not using ultrasound monitoring while on Clomid) is foolish yet a lot of OBs still do it for some crazy reason.

I just share that because I don't want you to feel discouraged at having a definite 4 great months of ovulating without a BFP to show for it. :)
    January 3T Siggy Challenge - New Year's Resolutions
    imageimage

Me (29), DH (30) TTC actively 54 55+ cycles | All BFNs
    MFI (low everything) | Endo Stage 1 & Stenotic Cervix (treated) | PCO
    Married - July 2008 | Started TTC - Jan 2009RE Visit #1 - Mar 2014 
    IUI #1 ICI #1 - June | IUI #1.1 Laparoscopy - Aug
    IUIs #1.2, 2, 3 - Sept, Oct, Nov (Letrozole) - BFNs 
    IUI #4 - Dec (Bravelle) | IUI #5 - Dec/Jan (Bravelle) - 5 follies + TI - BFNs
    IUI #5.1 - Jan (Bravelle) Cancelled 
    Planning to start IVF in March!
    ***All Welcome***
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had the exact same thing happen.  After 2-3 days of Femara each time I took it, I started a weird period/spotting thing that lasted until I finished taking it.  I asked my RE about it and he said it was perfectly normal.  I didn't ovulate either time I took it, but I don't know if the spotting has anything to do with it.  I wouldn't worry too much, but make sure to follow up at your ultrasound to be sure.  Good luck :)
    Me: 28 DH: 30 Married 3 years
    Stopped BC 7/13 Officially TTC 9/13
    First RE appt 3/28 Dx- non-IR PCOS
    No response from Clomid 50mg or Femara 5mg
    Clomid 100mg- BFP! Beta #1 15 DPO 169, Beta #2 17 DPO 340
    EDD: 4/15/15

• Options
    jennym25jennym25 member
    edited July 2014
    I have PCOS and a few times the OPK would be positive for ovulation twice in the month. With PCOS it's not always accurate. I took femara 2.5mg on cd3-cd7 for the first time this cycle but can't really say if my bleeding was from the femara or my period. Sorry you had this experience but hopefully you will get an answer tomorrow at your u/s.

Me (29), DH (38)

Oct 2009   - Married
    Aug 2011   - Started TTC
    Jan 2012   - OB Referred to RE
    Feb 2012   - RE Visit #1
    Apr 2012   - HSG (Normal), PCOS - DH SA (low count and low motility)  
    June 2012   - Provera, Clomid, TI - BFN
    July 2012   - IUI #1, Provera, Clomid 50mg, Trigger Injection - BFN
    Aug 12 - Feb 14 - Break
    Feb 2014   - New OB referred to new RE
    Mar 2014   - New RE visit #1
    Apr 2014    - TSH  level elevated, need to retest.
    May 2014   - TSH retested, higher than 1st test. Start on Synthroid. DH SA (Normal)
    June 2014   - Start on DHEA, CO-Q10, New brand of Prenatals
    July 2014   - Cycle came on its own, b/w on CD2, TSH (normal), Femara CD3-CD7, CD14 - u/s + Ovidrel + baby aspirin regimen. IUI #1 B2B on CD15/16 - BFN

August 2014 - u/s on CD3 normal, Femara CD3-CD7, u/s CD12, Ovidrel on CD13. IUI #2 B2B on CD 14/CD15 - BFN.

September  2014 - u/s on CD3 normal, Femara CD3-CD7, u/s scheduled for CD12

*** September 3T Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Shows ***

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"